Forty-five degrees

P

Pelnupti

I don't know about you (since I haven't seen any other Bujinkan dojos at work), but my training places a lot of emphasis on proper use of angles in techniques, in particular 45 degrees.

One thing that I have yet to figure out, that we students have been debating for quite some time, is how the angle is referenced: 45 degrees is 45 degrees, but from which line in which situation?

My personal opinion is that the 45 should be off the line the attack is moving on if the point is to avoid, or if it's a circular attack 45 from the line tangent to the closest point in the attack's arc to you.

In a lot of cases, I've heard you should be moving at 45 from the centerline.

What have you heard about this? What kind of resolution can you give to the bantering?

Mountain Kusa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi Friend and welcome to martial Talk.

The 45 degree is a reference angle. If you willl draw on a piece of paper two circles, one represents you and the other your opponent, one on top of the other on the paper. Then Draw a line from the top all the way through both circles. Then a line through each circle from the left to the right (two separate lines. Then draw diagonal lines through each cross. You will end up with a thing that looks like two compass roses stacked on top of each other.

Imagine the roses getting close together with the edges of each circle touching the center, this center is your spine. Imagine these two circles almost overlaying each other, since we know that two masses cannot occupy the same space, they cannot fully overlap. You will see interesting things begin to happen. Now imagine that each of these circles are actually a ball with this rose able to rotate anyway within it.

I have new people go home and lay masking tape onto their floor and practice moving to the angles by making this rose. It helps them stop moving straight back.

45 degrees is actually 45 degree when you begin, but later you will learn to use 90 degrees and so on. Also, The 45 degrees is also from a reference from your Uke, If you move back and away from him at 45 degrees from his center you will be lined up on his stomach. If you go outside, the floating ribs. Have fun with your training and good luck.