OP
K

Kirk

I wish I could! Got lots to learn and quite a bit of time training
before I can.

OP
K

Kirk

yes you do. lol But keep in mind we will always be students of the Art.

Noted ... but I haven't even begun on the "teaching" trek yet.
I'm a bit anxious for that point to occur.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
To:Golden d7,
Having never witnessed short4, I have a couple of questions.
Is it a pared down version of L4? I mean like S2 compared to L2,
or is it a bit deeper than that? The instructor I know used to teach S4, but dropped it. Also since we are on the subject of forms. I believe it was you who posted a response alluding
to the weapons you're familar with? Do you teach your weapons,
i.e. sai, with a P.K.S. slant? Or are you teaching totally original
forms, i.e. P.K.S./Tracy kenpo Staff Set? Thank you for your time, and consideration...
Salute in Christ,
Donald :asian:

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr.Golden d7,
First let me say thank you for your response to my post.
Now to the issue at hand!!! At the end of your response.
You said you teach the "other" weapons forms with a kenpo slant.
Does this mean you teach the "traditional" katas, but use
P.K.S., applicational practices? Thanks for your time...
Salute in Christ,

Donald
:D

OP
N

Nate_Hoopes

Forms not rational?? I dont know what Mr parkers rationality was behind having forms but i know why i like them. Maybe its just me, but i see my skill level grow MOST while doing/working on my forms, A form/kata should be perfect, or close to perfect depending on skill level, nothing i do is perfect, but the forms help, for me especially with foot work, the way kenpo forms all start and end in the same spot, one or 2 minor missteps throws your whole direction and timing off, 3 inches too far here there and suddenly youre ending your kata facing 3'oclock instad of 12'o'clock like you should have. Katas are skill builders.

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dennis Nackford's website has some forms in Real Player format. You have to register to get into the video section but he's got most of the forms there. Lawrence Carrol does a good job on the forms he demonstrates.

http://www.nackordkarate.com/

Something else that looked interesting, didn't have time to check it out but I included it here anyway.

http://martialarts.about.com/cs/instructio11/

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
From what I understand most schools have dropped short 4 because of its confusing relationship with long 4. We teach both of them on the same list, 1st Black.

How many of your schools still teach both?

Michael

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by D.Cobb

Thanks guys, now I know it. The school where I trained, used to call it "Star Block Set".

--Dave
:asian:

That's what it was called when I first learned it, Star Block.

Chuck

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is it the same salutation that you do for the forms, and then the blocks are the same as done in Star block?

:shrug:

Chuck

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
GD, take me too :D, please :D (now on knees)
I won't take up too much room in your suitcase.
Of course you'll have to stop in Denver and pick me up. :D

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Soooo, your from these parts, eh. :D

Well, I live in Thornton (just east of Arvada), teach at a school a friend of mine owns (Mix of TKD, Kenpo, Grappling, Kickboxing).
The school is located just north of Arvada at 88th and Wadsworth if you remember the city at all.
The kenpo school I'm going to is located in Longmont 30 miles to the north of me. My instructor there is Brad Scornavacco a long time student of Lee Wedlake. There are no Ed Parker kenpo schools anywhere in Denver, so my goal is to someday open one in my area.

:D Now about tagging along to Aussie........:D

Chuck

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well......... Since you asked....

The first 4 "Forms" (Short & Long 1 - Short and Long 2) are considered the "Dictionaries of Motion" to our system.

The rest of the "Forms" (Short & Long 3,4,5,6) are considered the Encyclopedias to our system.

The "sets" are considered the appendices to the system.

Each play an important role in the knowledge filing of all the main principles and actions.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Short four is half of Long 4 in other words you only do one side of each technique but it is a new method of form architechure.... the techniques alternate first one technique right the next technique left. Few know of this form which has never been instituted into the curriculum. It is an optional set for most.

The weapons sets I teach are the normal sets that are in the curriculum such as the staff set, nunchaku set, club set, form 7 (clubs)and form 8 (knives). I also teach alternate forms with a variety of other weapons with of course, kenpo slant.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In Ed Parker's American Kenpo we use the terminology "Forms..... and Sets" to describe what the Japanese systems call "Kata".

I feel it would be disrespectful to take an Okinawan form an "Kenpoize it" (change the stances etc.) because it was developed for a reason. We could surely do that but further modification would still be needed so I don't do it at all.

As a direct student of Ed Parker's for many years he has taught many how to "engineer" or develop our own Forms and Sets (empty handed or with any weapon we choose).

Yes, there are guidelines to follow such as; which direction to follow, methods of execution, paths, dimensions, angles, and themes. One must examine the weapon of choice for the form and determine just what the weapons use will be for this form and go from there.

We also can use our current forms and put a weapon in our hands and translate the movements to be used for the weapon that we possess.

I hope this helps......

Latest Discussions