Formatting an 8GB usb stick as FAT16?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a big pile of routers that will not read anything except a FAT16 formatted USB drive. I also have a nice pile of 8GB thumb drives...a size too big to format to FAT16

Has anyone successfully done this? The Windows partition tool will not resize the drive.

I dont care about losing space on the drive, 1GB formatted in a way my router can read is more valuable to me than 8GB my router cannot read.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use Win7 and Fedora 16

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You might be better using an external USB DVD/CD Burner and if the files are really big go for a burner that can handle Dual Density DVDs

Had a similar problem with an XPSP3 PC it too thought it was FAT16 but in the case of the PC it was dead and all files were unrecoverable

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The files are between 25 and 100 MB but only one is used at a time. We do have an external burner here but thats not practical to put in a field kit

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The files are between 25 and 100 MB but only one is used at a time. We do have an external burner here but thats not practical to put in a field kit

Practicle or not it may be the quickest and easiest fix but at FAT16 you may actually be looking at a ZIP Drive and good luck getting one of those (Cheaply) if you don't have one avaialbe

And although I have never done this, have you tried formating the stick via DOS (Command Prompt)

FORMAT [drive letter]: /FS:FAT16

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-format-a-usb-memory-stick-to-FAT/

Put the memory stick into your computer(duh!)

open command prompt ( start > all programs > accesories > command promt. or start > run > cmd)

type:
format x: /fs:FAT

PLEASE NOTE X IS WHERE YOU MEMORY STICK IS LOCATED WHERE THE X IS YOU SHOULD PUT THE LETTER OF YOU MEMORY STICK IN MY CASE E ; AND PLEASE DO NOT ACCIDENTLY FORMAT YOUR HARD DRIVE ITS NOT MY FAULT IF YOU FORMAT YOUR HARDDRIVE SO BE VERY VERY CAREFULL!!!!!!!

Win 7 may not do this. You may have to find an XP system.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
We do have an external burner here but thats not practical to put in a field kit

I forgot to show you my field kit :EG:

wood_fire_axe.jpg

and

1061baseball_bat1.jpg

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Y'all are just too fancy!

Tactical field repair kit item 1:
View attachment $image_67111.jpg

If that fails, use item 2:
$800px-Glock17.jpg

and return it to IT, labeled clearly as "BROKEN! Don't know what happened to it...."

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Y'all are just too fancy!

Tactical field repair kit item 1:
View attachment 17702

If that fails, use item 2:
View attachment 17703

and return it to IT, labeled clearly as "BROKEN! Don't know what happened to it...."

No no no...you're talking about repairing something different...we're talking computers/servers... and don't try and tell me otherwise because back in my days as security for the state I had Tactical field repair kit item 1 :D

Way back then there was also a Tactical field repair kit item 3 but seeing as this is Carol’s thread I am hesitant to show it

ccell6_black.jpg

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ahhh Xue, now you know the REAL reason behind my broken Mag Lites :D :D

Had to keep my laptop running Windows all day for Visio stuff. So, I tried the Windows method (Thanks Bob!!) to shrink the drive down. It works like a charm......except my router cannot read it :banghead: Tried playing around with allocation size, even took a 960MB flash and duplicated its numbers. Still doesn't work.

Cisco routers, especially the lower-end models are notorious for not reading floppy drives because Cisco wants you to buy their own outrageously priced USB drives. :rolleyes:

I've installed gparted, I'll give that a try tomorrow. But its looking like I may indeed have to go out and buy a bunch of small USB drives. Seems like the smaller the USB, the greater the chance that it can be read.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Latest Discussions