Following a Warriors' Path

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bruce,

I think your last statement sums it all up as well as anything I've heard or read.
I have always just simplistically just tried to "hold myself to a higher standard" than the average person in everything that I do. To me, the label of "warrior", on the surface implies someone who has chosen to develop their physical and mental skills to a level higher than the average person. BUT, I also feel that implicit in the definition of "warrior" is an obligation to use those skills in a manner that affects those around them in a positive manner, and also to make an effort to help and protect those who are not as blessed. I truly believe the axiom "From whom much is given, much is expected", and even though as martial artists we have worked long hard hours to develop our skills, we are still blessed to be able to train the way we do and in general, have the skills that we have. With that, I feel a true "warrior" should feel an obligation to society to set an example of behavior that the average person can/should aspire to. Simple things such as holding a door open for a stranger, or doing some charity work, or even a willingness to get involved to help/protect an innocent person from harm are examples. Lastly, a true warrior would never take advantage of his or her skills to exploit anyone.

F

foolbae1228

A great book for you to read is the Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman. It goes on about how to use martial arts in everyday life, so that you can find true happiness, and adjust it to everyone and anyone who wants to. One of the stories/lessons, and one of my favorites, talks about Alexander the Great. He was leading his troops onwards to battle, when a huge rope stood in between them, and a large knot was in the middle, and no one had ever taken it out. This is when Alexander gets off his horse, walks to the knot, and with one clean cut severs it with his sword. The lesson, find other ways. Don't let what other people think block you from your goal, just cut right through it. Yes, it's tempting to use your martial art on punks that don't know any better, but does performing the technique just to prove a point make you a better person? You just have to think how you are able to climb your way to the top.

Farang
Ryan

F

floweringknight

Both great books! May I add a few more?

"The Teaching of Don Juan" by Carlos Castaneda ISBN 0-671-72791-5
(The whole set is great)
"Scholar Warrior" by Deng Ming Dao ISBN 0-06-250232-8
"Kung Fu - History, Philosophy, and Technique" by David Chow and Richard Spangler ISBN 0-86568-011-6
"The Book of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi ISBN 0-553-27096-6

A few of my more favorites...

Does anyone have a formal reading lists for students? Thought about it?

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The warriors path is one of peace and tranquility within ones self. It takes great patience to wage war or "fight the good fight" against injustice. Also, if not at peace inside we may become that which with which we wage war!

Morals and ethics are the guiding rules of the true warrior. Man's law will never supersede natural law (God's Law). Understand the warrior path is a tradition of those who fight injustice in an unjust world. Therefore the warrior is forced to live a somewhat solitary existence. We should not expect to be understood by the masses and should therefore trust our creator and the laws set forth by him as the moral guide by which we live.

Accordingly, we should forge alliances with like minded individuals. These bonds or alliances are what were refered to as warrior clans or societies. A group of like minded individuals joined together for a common goal. To promote justice in an unjust world!

Peace is the greatest power!

TAEKWON!
SpooKeY

F

foolbae1228

glad2bhere said:
Dear Folks:

A little while ago I was criticized for representing myself as being dedicated to following a Warriors Path (K. "Mu-Do"). Seems that people felt that the way I was conducting myself didn't fit with how a "true" warrior would conduct themselves. I have a different opinion based on my study and research regarding what a warrior is expected to provide to himself and his community. The reason I mention this all is not to actually talk about me personally, but to open up a discussion of what constitutes dedication to a Warrior Path. Among the things I think would be intersting to discuss might be the following.

1,) How does a person follow a Path which is not widely represented in the modern community?

2.) What does one do when the Path requires behavior different from what everyone else is doing.

3,) What groups or support systems does one use to critically evalutae ones' own progress ("keep on the straight and narrow").

4.) What resources does one study or subscribe to to further ones' training and progress.

Maybe other people have additional aspects for discussing this question.

BTW: I usually limit myself to examining Korean martial culture as other cultures have differing value systems and goals. I don't think this means that we can stir other Warrior cultures into the discussion as long as it doesn't become an antagonisitc comparison among the different values. Thoughts? Comments?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Farang-

First off, the choice is yours. You can follow your own path, which will have dramatic effects, such as exile (popularity that is) or acceptance (again, in popularity). How you travel that path is up to you, no one else can guide you. Or, you can travel the more popular road, only to be lost, narrow-minded, and dependant of the thoughts and reaction of people, instead of yourself.

To deal with the behavior issue, just be natural. Don't hold anything in. If your angry...yell, if your happy...laugh, etc. This doesn't mean be rude, just be natural. Don't worry about what other people think. It's how YOU feel.

To measure your progress, simply ask yourself this: Are you happy? If not, and it's not getting better, you're doing something wrong. What, I can't tell you, for it's up to you to get on the path.

Studies I would recommend would be meditation, prayer, etc. Whatever to calm your mind. The mind is what your whole problem is...specifically thoughts. Your brain controls your body, your brain is controlled by your mind, and your mind is controlled by your thoughts. Have you ever felt angry, started thinking of ways you could get even, and your body gets all tense and tired? If you can control your mind, you can control yourself.

Hope this helps

Farang-
Ryan