Following a Warriors' Path

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Folks:

A little while ago I was criticized for representing myself as being dedicated to following a Warriors Path (K. "Mu-Do"). Seems that people felt that the way I was conducting myself didn't fit with how a "true" warrior would conduct themselves. I have a different opinion based on my study and research regarding what a warrior is expected to provide to himself and his community. The reason I mention this all is not to actually talk about me personally, but to open up a discussion of what constitutes dedication to a Warrior Path. Among the things I think would be intersting to discuss might be the following.

1,) How does a person follow a Path which is not widely represented in the modern community?

2.) What does one do when the Path requires behavior different from what everyone else is doing.

3,) What groups or support systems does one use to critically evalutae ones' own progress ("keep on the straight and narrow").

4.) What resources does one study or subscribe to to further ones' training and progress.

Maybe other people have additional aspects for discussing this question.

BTW: I usually limit myself to examining Korean martial culture as other cultures have differing value systems and goals. I don't think this means that we can stir other Warrior cultures into the discussion as long as it doesn't become an antagonisitc comparison among the different values. Thoughts? Comments?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

D

Disco

1,) How does a person follow a Path which is not widely represented in the modern community?
A.) By being his or her own person. If the path being chosen, is not by it's own devises illegal or detrimental to society, then morally it's a clear path.

2.) What does one do when the Path requires behavior different from what everyone else is doing.
A.) See answer #1, with the addition of one must behave in the correct manner to faciliate the path traveled.

3,) What groups or support systems does one use to critically evalutae ones' own progress ("keep on the straight and narrow").
A.) Groups/Systems that are following the same or similar path. Bottom line for an individual is that they should know the difference between right and wrong (straight and narrow). If something feels the slightest bit wrong, then it is. It very easy for one to rationalize degrees of acceptability when something is/seems questionable.

4.) What resources does one study or subscribe to to further ones' training and progress.
A.) Anything and everything that can be construed as enlightening and uplifting. Remember, even a broke clock is right twice a day. :uhyeah:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would have to ask what you see that "path" as being, before I could give my opinion on your questions...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting question, grasshopper (ha ha).

I wasn't going to answer until I read your sig and felt I could relate, so...here goes.

1. You define your morals - ones you can live with - everyone does this, and you must figure out your own ultimate test (who you answer to). For me, this is a "does this meet golden rule critera?" and "can I honestly face God and feel good about this?"

2. If your motives are true and just with a dash of compassion, and you refrain from judgement, if what you do is right and fair, then you must be willing to stand by it unto death - if you are not, then question your own motives and your own actions.

3. You can only find spiritual/warrior guides if you seek them - continually. And don't be satisfied with just one. Find the warrior voice inside of you (which I feel you probably already do, just aren't ready to listen yet). Be ready to look into the mirror - honestly.

4. Always, ALWAYS approach life confidently, but with gratitude and humility and you will probably leave a small wake.

5. Be prepared to be alone or in rare company. Not many follow the traditional path...no need to judge, that's someone else's job...no need to be discompassionate - that, too is someone else's job. Remember to take these moments of quietude to observe and listen.

6. No matter how fierce you must be, be fierce with love in your heart. Love your enemy, remember? If you do, he will never have the best of you.

Here is one of my favorites:
"People are often unreasonable, illogical and self-centered: Forgive them anyway. If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives: Be kind anyway. If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies: succeed anyway. If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you: Be honest and frank anyway. What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight: Build anyway. If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous: Be happy anyway. The good you do today people will often forget tomorrow: Do good anyway. Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough: Give the world the best you've got anyway. You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God - it was never between y ou and them anyway." -- Mother Teresa :asian:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nice answers, the only thing I would debate a little with ya is the whole "dont judge thing". Theres nothing wrong with judgment when its done in a fair/impartial manner.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Nice answers, the only thing I would debate a little with ya is the whole "dont judge thing". Theres nothing wrong with judgment when its done in a fair/impartial manner.

I agree, I think. Although, I'd say that it is important to judge poeples actions and behaviors rather then actually judging them.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
I agree, I think. Although, I'd say that it is important to judge poeples actions and behaviors rather then actually judging them.
Yeah, I can agree with that. There are some people whos actions are are so evil that judging "them" isnt to far a stretch though.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I tend to guide my actions based on the 5 Codes used by the Korean Hwa Rang Warriors:
1. Loyalty. Develop a set of principles and beliefs and stay with them, regardless of what the current climate is. Be true to your Instructor and your organization. Do not "Instructor hop" trying to find the ultimate one, or study under 10 different Instructors simultanously. If you are not loyal to me I cannot trust you.
2. Respect to elders. Treat your parents, you Instructor, and senior members of society with deference due those who have come before you. You will be a senior someday. However, respect be earned.
3. Integrity. Be someone your students, your boss, your friends, your coworkers, and your family can trust. Don't sell your technique to anyone with a checkbook. This insults all your students who put years of pain and aggravation personally studying under you. Integrity takes a long time, often years. Once you lose integrity, you will likely never gain it back.
4. Courage. Be the one who does the right thing even when it is unpopular, difficult, and dangerous. Show up to class the second night; tell the truth when you did something wrong; stand up for someone who cannot stand up for themselves.
5. Never make an unjust kill. Never misuse Tae Kwon Do or any MA. When someone insults you, walk away knowing what you could do to them. If you must use Tae Kwon Do, do not use more than is necessary just to see them suffer. Do you really want to brag that you broke some guy's ribs or jaw?

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hwarang Do O Kae (The Five Rules)

Il - Sa Kun E Chung - Loyalty to one's country
E - Sa Chin E Hyo - Loyalty to one's parents and teachers
Sam - Kyo U E Sin - Trust and brotherhood among friends
Sa - Im Joon Moo Teah - Courage never to retreat in the face of the enemy
O - Sal Sang U Teck - Justice never to take a life without cause

Do Kyo Hoon ( The Nine Virtues)

In - Humanity
Oui - Justice
Yeh - Courtesy
Gi - Wisdom
Sin - Trust
Sun - Goodness
Duk - Virtue
Chung - Loyalty
Yong - Courage

HWARANG!!!

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I tried to show how the 5 Codes could be applied in modern life. We are probably not going to be taking life on the battlefield, but we can show restraint when someone insults us instead of using Tae Kwon Do to make an example of them.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I tried to show how the 5 Codes could be applied in modern life. We are probably not going to be taking life on the battlefield, but we can show restraint when someone insults us instead of using Tae Kwon Do to make an example of them.
....and....I just posted the code as we say it for the purpose of putting it up...not trying to one-up you or insult or correct you...

Hwarang.

OP
G

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"......and....I just posted the code as we say it for the purpose of putting it up...."

Its also important to remember that the modern O-Gae is not as "primitive" as the original. For instance most schools use the modern "benevolence to all" rather than its older "perform a just kill".

BTW: I stumbled across the anecdote relating how Wongwang produced the O-Gae. For the Korean literate you can pull the HAEDONG KOSUNG CHON
(Book 1: 1020c-1021b). For people like me who still have trouble with classic Chinese, pull a copy of SOURCEBOOK OF KOREAN CIVILIZATION; vol 1; pgs 78-87). Always fun to know where some of this stuff comes from or what the story is--- behind the story, if you know what I mean.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have that book. Very good read. Talks about how traditional martial arts are absolutely relevant in today's world, as opposed to just training to earn medals or believing that so-called "street styles" or "no nonsense street defense" are the answer.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Morgan also does a good job of demystifying a lot of the arts. Always works better for me if I can understand the mechanics of a technique, or know why something's supposed to work rather than having it left to ki etc.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree.
I have a hard accepting someone saying "this technique works because I transmitted my Ki into the target and knocked them out". It is more believable to say it worked because you practice exact technique, focus your energy, and know exactly where to hit them.
One of the principles of the book is "Be a Student of Anatomy". Another is "Practice as Though Your Life Depends on it." Both were taught to me as a student.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I got to say it is one of the must reads in my opinion, there are enough "this is a front kick books" out there

OP
G

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm with you guys!!!

I wish most sincerely that if someone is going to follow the Warriors' Path that they not imbue it with some sort of Cosmic implications. I don't know what the relationship is between what I do and the energies of the Universe. I don't know if meditating will help me see The Deity. I don't know if years of training will make me a transcendent personality. What I do know is that following a particular ethos will hopefully make me a better member of the community and a humble servant of God. No guarentees; just an aspiration. What I have seen too often is when folks start talking about following a Warriors' Path there is suddenly a whole lot of stoic posturing and grim-faced attitude. For me, what I imagine is something more like the e'lan one sees in an organization such a the Marine Corps or Rangers sans the car bumper stickers and the sweatshirts. Modern day warriors share with their counterparts of centuries past a simple dedication to a particular way of doing things. Its not like they will "go to Hell" or "get kicked out of the club" for not upholding the code. Rather they uphold the "code", whatever it is, because THATS what they have chosen to do--- pure and simple. IMVHO.

BTW: This is also the reason I can feel completely comfortable and conflict-free when I say things like "I don't support war; I support the people who must fight it." FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Latest Discussions