Folding your dobok

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting, so does GM Ji, Han Jae it seems.

I'd imagine a lot of the older school (i.e. founders) have their belts like this, probably because they have a closer lineage to the Japanese schools.

I do wonder though, why you chose GM Ji in a Taekwondo forum?

Last edited by a moderator:

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ewwwwwwwww ;-)

Ew? I'm not a particularly sweaty or smelly person, the only time my gi actually gets dirty is from dirt in the backyard or blood. It's not like I';m in some huge room with a bunch of other people. I train with my Sensei at his home, with his family. He's been retired from teaching actively for years, he's a full time architect.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ew? I'm not a particularly sweaty or smelly person, the only time my gi actually gets dirty is from dirt in the backyard or blood. It's not like I';m in some huge room with a bunch of other people. I train with my Sensei at his home, with his family. He's been retired from teaching actively for years, he's a full time architect.

It would still feel weird doing a physical activity and not washing my dobok afterwards, particularly sweaty or not. Each to their own I guess though...

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was taught to fold my gi in judo but not how to fold my dobak in TKD. As a matter of fact, I wasn't even shown how to tie my belt. I went on the Internet to find that and when I walked in with it the first day the instructor remarked "Hey, he's even got his belt tied right!" Like it was a surprise. There were a couple of instructor helpers that didn't even know the term dobak.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was taught to fold my gi in judo but not how to fold my dobak in TKD. As a matter of fact, I wasn't even shown how to tie my belt. I went on the Internet to find that and when I walked in with it the first day the instructor remarked "Hey, he's even got his belt tied right!" Like it was a surprise. There were a couple of instructor helpers that didn't even know the term dobak.

Shocking.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd imagine a lot of the older school (i.e. founders) have their belts like this, probably because they have a closer lineage to the Japanese schools.

I do wonder though, why you chose GM Ji in a Taekwondo forum?

Because people were commenting about the practice in KMA in general, IIRC, and I happened to be viewing that clip earlier today.

Pax,

Chris

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting, so does GM Ji, Han Jae it seems.

I gave him that belt. Other people have given him belts over the years, but he always wears that one. :) I'll go make him a new one next time I go to Korea.

Last edited by a moderator:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
GM LEE, Kyu Hyung would certainly be an expection to this, but yes, your statement is true more often than not.

In the Korean Martial Arts, one thing to understand is that there are always exceptions to everything, especially when dealing with exceptional people. GM Lee was one of the candidates for Kukkiwon president last year.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The method I use to fold my dobok can be seen here: http://www.mstartkd.com/enc10.shtml about 2/3 of the way down the page (I usually skip the part where you tie the belt around it, but I have done that). This is actually kind of an "updated" method of tying the dobok. An earlier one can be found in the 1972 textbook Gen. Choi wrote. I used that method before the encyclopedia came out.

As for whether or not it's important, it is insofar as it helps keep my uniform unwrinkled. It also helps to conserve space in my bag since I also have sparring gear, tape, a water bottle, etc. to carry. After the uniforms are washed I fold them all, stack them in my closet, and grab a new one for my bag whenever I go to a class.

Pax,

Chris

Yup, this is the same folding method I use with my V-neck top pull over doboks which differs somewhat from some of the other methods posted here for the hapkido/karatedo style of unis. Thanks

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I bring my uniform in folded as you would normal clothing. I also fold it before I leave. This is not something that the school requires us to do, it is just in my nature to be neat.
Me too, I usually stick in the dryer for a few minutes and then spread it out on the bed and smooth it out with a T-shirt before I leave for class, that usually does the trick. For gradings I always have them dry-cleaned though. In summer time after class I often hang it up in the hot car to dry in the sun.

Z

I usually find folding the jacket like this to be difficult when you have to do it standing up after class so I just fold it up like a regular jacket..

Latest Discussions