Folding uniform

Dao

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am curious if people fold their uniform after they classes. I used to throw mine in a bag without folding but in another school I got into trouble for not folding it and I was taught how to fold, it looks real nice and keeps the uniform getting wrinkled.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine gets folded up roughly, put in my bag then straight into the wash. I have several uniforms, t shirts and gi bottoms plus two BJJ Gi's. I teach/train most of the week so have to have clean clothes on everytime.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I don't wear it to and from the Dojang, I just toss it in the bag and wash it when I get home. I know that I should fold it, but I don't bother most days, plus it isn't a big deal in our Dojang.

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
My students must have a nice clean straight uniform everyday for class! I have had students before come to class with a completely wrinkled dirty uniform and I make the parents buy a new one, kind of like a fine! Believe me they have no problem buying a new one and it teaches the student to respect their uniform and the parents make sure its clean the next time!:asian:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My students must have a nice clean straight uniform everyday for class! I have had students before come to class with a completely wrinkled dirty uniform and I make the parents buy a new one, kind of like a fine! Believe me they have no problem buying a new one and it teaches the student to respect their uniform and the parents make sure its clean the next time!:asian:

How do you make them buy a new one? Surely a word in the parents ear is enough or even not letting the child train.

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
The child dont train, I run a respectful class and I expect respect from all parties and the parents understand this. I have never lost a student because of this just gained their respect!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The child dont train, I run a respectful class and I expect respect from all parties and the parents understand this. I have never lost a student because of this just gained their respect!

And a bit more money from the new suit bought?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our children always turn in neat and tidy and our adults train in t shirts and MMA shorts so it's never a problem really.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually do fold my uniform after class, often. It was a habit I picked up from a karate instructor friend who never had a gym bag. He folded his after every class & carried out. That way he didn't look like a slob with a wet uniform & no gym bag.

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
I always fold my gi in half so when I hold it at the top it hangs down, then I fold it over. Then I like to roll mine up. One of my old instructors taught me this. It does seem not to wrinkle has bad.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If very sweaty wash, and always fold. In between classes Gi is folded with belt wrapped around it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are different approaches to folding your uniform -- including putting it on hanger. But you should fold it somehow, rather than simply shoving it into a bag. It'll keep it looking neater, it'll help the uniform last longer, and it simply shows a certain level of respect for what you're doing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folding uniforms after use to show respect, yes, folding uniform to be tidy, yes, folding uniform after use so you can wear it again, no! no!
If you work hard training and sweat surely it's not a good idea to wear the uniform again without it being washed!

OP
Dao

Dao

Green Belt
Reaction score
If very sweaty wash, and always fold. In between classes Gi is folded with belt wrapped around it.

Yup the way I do it is wrap the belt around when finished it actually looks nice even if I'm going to wash it soon. It really doesn't take long only a few minutes.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It must be me then who likes a clean gi/tshirt gi bottoms on every time I train lol! I can't imagine training and not having to wash your kit. Perhaps we work too hard lol.

LarryR

White Belt
Reaction score
I usually hang my dobuk up with my pants folded and placed on the hanger. When traveling or visiting a federation studio its either hung up or folded with my belt tied around it, and btw its ironed with creases in the seams and down the pant legs. This gives the dobuk a nice neat crisp look.

I have several uniforms and my instructor always laugh when I order new black T shirts with school logos on them, and black pants. Though I train and get them sweaty, the black fades after multiple washings.

To me it sets the example to the lower belts, and to be honest I see the effects of this on others. For example I have my name in Korean embroidered on dobuk top underneath my instructors patch, which GM Kwon wrote himself, and now just about all the dan and gup levels have KGN write their names and most of the dans have it embroidered as well.

A little pride in your uniform can go a long way.

Latest Discussions