Folding uniform

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It must be me then who likes a clean gi/tshirt gi bottoms on every time I train lol! I can't imagine training and not having to wash your kit. Perhaps we work too hard lol.

Not just you. I do, too. And I don't ALWAYS work that hard. No matter how much I wish it were otherwise, teaching is not a workout! :)

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not just you. I do, too. And I don't ALWAYS work that hard. No matter how much I wish it were otherwise, teaching is not a workout! :)
Um I go kick for kick, block for block and punch for punch with my students and I consider my teaching a work out! especially when I teach 6 classes per night 6 days a week!
icon11.gif

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Um I go kick for kick, block for block and punch for punch with my students and I consider my teaching a work out! especially when I teach 6 classes per night 6 days a week!
icon11.gif

I always make sure my instructors get a workout. Then again, I am the one showing them grappling. :)

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
icon11.gif

How in the world do you correct technique and give feedback while doing every kick with them?

I go to classes to train where I am the student. There I get my workout.

When I teach, my classes are about my students. Sure I demo, and I do full forms for them and I spar, but it ain't no workout. Even if I sweat. :)

Guess you and I have different ideas about teaching and about workouts, eh? Lucky you to get to teach that much. I am in a new area and building a student base slowly. All in time.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have to tell you this..... I wear t shirts and gi bottoms for the MMA classes we do, my instructor as a Christmas pressie has given me two fantastic MMA t-shirts, one has a Viking type warriors head on the front and the word warrior on the back. Both T shirts are black, very cool! Now the other has printed on the front a string coming round the neck and two MMA gloves hanging down. Very smart but as a woman guess where the gloves come when I put the t shirt on and what it looks like? I wish I could show you, my son just burst out laughing, I guess I'll have a few odd looks when I wear it now rofl!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How in the world do you correct technique and give feedback while doing every kick with them?

When I teach, my classes are about my students. Sure I demo, and I do full forms for them and I spar, but it ain't no workout. Even if I sweat. :)

Guess you and I have different ideas about teaching and about workouts, eh? Lucky you to get to teach that much. I am in a new area and building a student base slowly. All in time.
For me, it depends on the exercise in question. Some nights, I get a hell of a workout, leading the class through exercises and drills. Other nights... I'm spending more time demonstrating once, than correcting as needed. I can't watch & do, as a general rule -- though there are exceptions. Like sparring...

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score

Im a black belt with years of experience, I can multi task. I can watch and do kicks at the same time. I always kick horizontal to my students so they can watch my technique as well. And if I see something that needs correcting, I stop and correct the problem! I dont feel right barking numbers and telling my students what to do and not doing it my self! Just my way of doing it, everyone is different.
icon11.gif

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
have to tell you this..... I wear t shirts and gi bottoms for the mma classes we do, my instructor as a christmas pressie has given me two fantastic mma t-shirts, one has a viking type warriors head on the front and the word warrior on the back. Both t shirts are black, very cool! Now the other has printed on the front a string coming round the neck and two mma gloves hanging down. Very smart but as a woman guess where the gloves come when i put the t shirt on and what it looks like? I wish i could show you, my son just burst out laughing, i guess i'll have a few odd looks when i wear it now rofl!

lol!

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
I fold my uniform loosely after class and immediately wash it when I get home. I've just started getting back into martial arts after a couple of years out through injury, so I just train twice a week at the moment, giving me long enough time to wash and iron my dobok between classes.

Before my temporary break from martial arts I was training or teaching (if it was karate) every week night + Saturday mornings, so I had (well, still have!) several uniforms so I always wore a clean, pressed dobok or gi to every class.

I just can't stand the thought of wearing a dirty uniform to training, seems gross to me!!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You chaps ought to try folding a hakama properly if an ordinary gi is considered problematic :lol:.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think many of us ever do get the 'knack' of a neatly bound hakama :D. I can get the folds okay but my himo 'bows' always look atrocious :eek:.

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
You chaps ought to try folding a hakama properly if an ordinary gi is considered problematic :lol:.

First time I folded my Hakama after I got it was hillarious! Well, not for me as I had 6-7 black belts hovering ready to give me, the new 1st Dan, 'advice'...

Advice? Huh, talk about being the after-class 'entertainment'!

I'd been shown how to fold and care for a Hakama by Sensei just after getting 1st Dan, but having the audience didn't help me. In the end one of the other blackbelts took pity on me and finished it off. :D

I still haven't got it down 'perfect' but these days my folds look a lot better and neater than that first time!

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will usually take my unifrm and hang it on a hanger when I get home. Sometimes it will get a second wearing before going into the wash if it's for personal training. If I'm going to class again, into the wash it goes immediately.

Uniforms get folded when they come out of the wash so they look presentable when worn to class. I have several uniforms so even if the wash isn't due to put in for a few days I have at least a couple clean, folded uniforms waiting to be pulled out and worn.

Pax,

Chris

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't imagine not folding your uniform after a practice, I honestly can't. Even if it was so wet I could wring it out, I'd still fold it and treat it with respect.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't imagine not folding your uniform after a practice, I honestly can't. Even if it was so wet I could wring it out, I'd still fold it and treat it with respect.

I always try to remember that we are just wearing glorified underwear.

Latest Discussions