FMAT: Major Influences in Fighting Spirit ...

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Major Influences in Fighting Spirit ...
By Guro Dave Gould - Fri, 16 May 2008 00:31:32 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Hi guys,

The last thread "Mga Sandata ng Pagkakataon" got me to thinking and pondering why I involved myself in so many fights and altercations at such an early age.

The person that I directly associate my violent past with and credit with my current mindset in combat would be my uncle "Shot" Watkins. My uncle was "UDT" during the VietNam war and he served in that capacity patrolling the canals of Mytho and Bentre in the Mekong Delta while searching traditional VietNamese "junks" for VietCong, munitions and weapons.

Anyway after he got out and was state side shortly after the war he would get into so many fights and I never knew exactly why but he loved to fight and it intrigued me to watch him as he would fight. He seemed to have no fear of anyone and for a smaller guy he did alot of damage. He was the "Black Sheep" of my family and the one that I found myself having the most in common with, so I hung out with him alot.

He taught me to swim by throwing me into a river, he gave me my first cigarette, my first drink of beer and whiskey, hooked me up with girls, bought me my first motor-cycle, made me work my first job in his Hydraulic business to pay for that motor-cycle over summer break in jr. High School and he was the first to give me tips on fighting. mostly gouging eyes, kicking nads, pulling hair, breaking knees, and striking into someones throat, you know normal stuff.

He would tell me that I would have to stand up to anyone that would pick on me because if I allowed anyone to walk on me once they would walk on me for the rest of my life. He showed me that the "thought" of getting punched was worse than the "actual" punch itself. As I would get into one fight after the other in elementary school I feared no one and would fight the biggest kids and this went all through Jr high and High School as well. This formed my most basic mindset concerning all things combative and it has served me well to this day.

In High School I was so impressed by his service in VietNam that I enlisted into the U.S. Army and was headed to boot camp, AIT and Jump school right after graduation and it was he that influenced what I would do in the ARMY. Anyway after I got out of the service years later I remember often hanging out with him on week-ends where we would frequent numerous bars and get drunk and of course always getting into fights mostly because of him, he just loved to fight and he would always start **** with the guys that most would just ignore out of fear of getting killed, but not him and I would be right there with him until the last punch was thrown for good or bad.

He would routinely destroy a bar room on a saturday night after drinking and fighting and then go to his car and get his gun and come back and shoot the place up and leave a few thousand dollars on the counter to pay for the damages on his way out after it was over. He is a retired self made Millionaire in his late 70`s now living just outside of New Orleans drinking and still getting into fights. The last time that i spoke to him he was telling me of a fight that he had just gotten into and knocked some kid out in the rest room and tried to drown him in the toilet. My uncle "Shot" was my greatest influence in fighting spirit and it is because of him that I am probably still alive after all that I have involved myself in, both in terms of Military service as well as life in a civilian capacity.

My question to all of you is who was your earliest influence in developing a true combative mindset and forced to adjust to life on the street as it really is? Don`t be shy guys, lets hear those stories...

Train well, ciao.

Guro Dave Gould.

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions