FMAT: Do you use video as a training tool?

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Do you use video as a training tool?
By scubamatt - Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:15:06 GMT
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Hi,

In the past couple of weeks, I have used both a mirror and home videos of myself, to see if I am performing my strikes correctly (etc). Sometimes its very hard to spot what you are doing wrong from where you are standing. On tape, however, you can watch yourself and say "Aha! I keep shifting my weight onto my heel here, no wonder I feel awkward." or "When I chamber on the left side, I keep hunching my shoulder, and the swing always goes too far to one side." Its really helped me correct some bad habits, and although I sometimes feel like a water buffalo learning to tap dance, I can see on the tape that I don't actually look that bad. (More like a drunken bear trying to swat invisible flies...sigh...)

Last night my instructor came by my place and we trained for 2 hours out by the pool (until it got to the point where we were using our sticks and knives to fend off giant man-eating mosquitoes). Afterwards, I asked him to demonstrate a few of the things we had been training, again, so I could videotape him for later review. I don't have a fancy video camera, just a middle of the road digital camera that can record about 30 mins of video on a chip. The idea was to have something I can refer back to, during my solo practice sessions, to see if I am correctly executing the movements. Nothing fancy, just the basics, but I think it will help me get more out of my training time (which is limited by all that other annoying non-FMA stuff, like having to earn a living, eating and sleeping, etc).

I own a few DVDs from various other forms of martial art, and I have seen lots of video clips here and on the internet, but they aren't really training tools - they are interesting as contrast to what I learn directly, but rarely helpful in training. I may see something that looks like a nice technique, or an impressive move, but it doesn't really teach me anything.

So, my question is this: Do you use video of yourself as a training tool, and if so, how does it help you?

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions