FMAT: Dealing with power

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Dealing with power
By Shaun - 10-20-2009 04:19 AM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

This is a subject near and dear to me and something that is a main focus in what I practice and teach.
The ability to stop 100mph+ strikes aimed at any part of your body is IMHO is essential training.
A great way to practice this is to simply isolate the parrying and blocking one does and gradually increse the power of the strike given.
Initially I use the lightest rattan sticks I have to feed the strikes, gradually increasing the weight of the rattan.
This can and should be done from all angles, but done with control by the person feeding the strikes so if the parry or block is missed it will not result in serious injury - if done with control,no protective equipment will be neccesary.
I must stress that that if the block or parry is done correctly that the person feeding the strike must not stop their blow in mid flow, as it is essential to get the feel and timing of a full power blow.
This is also a fantastic way of building confidence in students or training partners.
I have to stress again the importance control in the person feeding the strikes.
You will get bruises and bumps with this type of training, but this is what we do.

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Latest Discussions