FMAT: Balintawak & the use of Punta y Daga

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
Balintawak & the use of Punta y Daga
By Mono - 07-06-2008 05:33 AM
Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

I extracted this excelent Post from a different threat since I thought it is worth more attention.

This is actually the first time I ve seen the Use of Punta y Daga in Balintawak; since it is a rare thing, I was hoping to be able to start a Discussion on this Subject...

Who out there is (still) training, teaching or learning the Use of Punta y Daga in Balintawak?

How does it fit into your regular Stick to Stick Play?
Maybe any Coments on training Methods? Principals? Concepts?

Looking forward to a great Discussion!

To Start with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teovel'sBalintawak (Post 28778)
Guys,

Please see these links in youtube. This is the Teovel's Balintawak Basic Defense drills against Punta Y Daga by Monie Velez. This video was taken 8 years ago. Well emphasized and simple to make it easy for you to follow. (
and
). I hope you enjoy!!

Thank You.

Then most of us probably read about Anciong Bacon having used the Knife (in a Punta y Daga way) during his early Days of Training as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJ_007 (Post 2060)
Tatay Anciong at some point when he was training with the Saavedra's, he used to have the knife, since espada y daga is his forte. Apparently, he has a habit of poking his partner and injuring them, hence the removal of the knife by the Saavedra's. Balintawak is the evolved form of his cultivation during his time spent in Labangon Fencing Club.

One more post on the Usage of the Knife while in Stickfighting is extracted from y Post by GM Bobby Taboada:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillermo taboada (Post 28217)
GROUP FIVE... TEACHING THE STUDENT HOW TO DEFEND THE PUNCHES AND LOTS OF VARIATIONS. IT USED TO BE USING THE KNIVES BUT GM JOSE VILLASIN MAKE IT IN TO PUNCH FOR SAFETY. (OLD DAYS, MOST BALINTAWAK PLAYERS ALWAYS USING THE SHARP KNIVES).

And one More by his Student, Robert Klampfer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Klampfer (Post 28393)
Mitch:

That specific reference was to what are now punches in the group five were originally also thrusts with a knife - punta y daga. There were apparently quite a few injuries while using the knife. Having played this with the knife, I can tell you that it is dangerous at full speed, even with a training blade.

Robert

Collecting from other Sources, I found the following that was said by GM Moncal:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Moncal
GM Bacon was then my second teacher when I met him at the club of Balintawak. Under his teachings, I have learned the short cut method and the “Punta y Daga”.

see here for full Interview:http://www.necopa.com/People/Mongcal...interview.html

I am not sure if the Punty y Daga is still taught in the Monca Lineages, at least there is little Mention of it on their website...

Also, I ve read on a german Forum that the "Atillo Balintawak" still teaches the PyD - though I have not seen how its done...

Summary:
Though there is some stuff about "Unarmed Balintawak vs Knife and "Balintawak Knife vs Knife" out there, the Subject of Punta y Daga is mentiond often but Information on what it looks like, how its beeing (or used to be) trained etc is very rare (so thanks a million again for the Videos above!!!)...

Hope there are some of you out there who can fill this Gap! :)

Thanks a lot!

Greetings from Germany,

Philipp "Mono" Wolf

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions