FMA in Boston

G

GPFontaine

I am going to be moving to the Boston area soon. I plan to continue my training at my current school, but I will only be able to attend once every two weeks. I would like to be going to class 2-3 times a week and will need a local school to supplement my training. I am looking for an eclectic art and was hoping for some recommendations.

OP
M

mandirigma

Hi GP:

Sifu Alix Lavaud teaches Modern Arnis in Boston. It is most definitely worth your time to at least stop by and watch a class with him. Feel free to contact me if you're interested in looking him up. Personally, I was simply blown away by his skill.

Take care and happy hunting!

OP
G

GPFontaine

I have now been in the city for a bit and am still looking for a place to practice.

Any contact info for Sifu Alix Lavaud?

Also looking in the surrounding towns of Somerville & Medford.

OP
M

mandirigma

GP:
Will try to send you a private message with contact info for Sifu Lavaud...

Also, Joao Amaral and New England BJJ is a great place to roll if you're interested. They are just north of Boston proper (10 minutes w/o traffic).

Take care.:asian:

OP
B

beunbad

Guro William Schultze a student of Mandala Tim Waid teaches Pekiti-Tisia Kali and is top notch. HEs articulate and well versed in this effective form of Kali. HE can be reached at :[email protected] . If you have trouble please drop me an e-mail

Good luck,

JAck O

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Great info, though being in Boston, I think these people are not in city limits, but a little "jot" from the city. As an interested party as well, and going for the "anything is possible" theme. Would anyone qualified to teach be willing to drop into the city once a week, or every two weeks for an hour or so of instruction during the overnight shift? That's the shift I work, and when I'm awake. Afternoons and evenings I'm asleep. So goes the life of a 3rd shifter-lol.

It's an empty building and I'm alone, and parking is out front and back. There's usually no distractions.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great info, though being in Boston, I think these people are not in city limits, but a little "jot" from the city. As an interested party as well, and going for the "anything is possible" theme. Would anyone qualified to teach be willing to drop into the city once a week, or every two weeks for an hour or so of instruction during the overnight shift? That's the shift I work, and when I'm awake. Afternoons and evenings I'm asleep. So goes the life of a 3rd shifter-lol.

It's an empty building and I'm alone, and parking is out front and back. There's usually no distractions.

HS, Guro Wes Tasker's school is in Allston.

He's a member here...I'd recommend sending him a PM to see if you can get a conversation started. He's an excellent teacher and overall great guy. :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Send him a PM and see where it goes. I don't want to speak for Wes but...you may be surprised. When I was looking at Kenpo schools, I found a person - with a well-established school - that was willing to teach me privates during overnight hours if I wanted to. He said he was already doing that for another student that worked odd hours, and that it was no big deal to him.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme

No Martial Talk taker's? 2nd call.