FMA = "Firearm" Martial Arts?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just read a comment from someone that believes if you aren't an advocate of firearms for self-defense purposes, you have no business studying, practicing or promoting Filipino Martial Arts.

Do you personally believe this to be true?

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I haven't seen a firearms focus. I don't train with mock guns, or practice pistol-whipping, or hear of times when we're encouraged to train with a blue gun in a concealed holster to get the feel for the restrictions of movement. But, I'm also a relative noobie.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just read a comment from someone that believes if you aren't an advocate of firearms for self-defense purposes, you have no business studying, practicing or promoting Filipino Martial Arts.

Do you personally believe this to be true?
I can understand this point of view to a degree in the field of combatives.

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
The vibe I get is that to train with weapons of one kind but denounce weapons of another kind is hypocrisy, and this angle I agree with.

After reading "if you aren't an advocate of firearms for self-defense purposes, you have no business studying, practicing or promoting Filipino Martial Arts." I thought, and still think that's a pretty dumb statement. What if the practitioner just wants to learn it because they think it's fun not necessarily for self-defense or anything like that. After reading your (Andy Mynihan's) post I sort of understand now. It's true to learn these weapons, but neglect others, that doesn't make much sense. However, I still disagree with the original statement, because I believe that you should be able to study, practice, and promote whatever you want.