FMA craziness

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not huge on going around posting videos to ridicule others. But, there are times when a bit of calling out is necessary in the martial arts, as there are way too many people posing as something they are not.

One of the major issues that the Filipino Martial Arts suffer from is that, because there are/were so many family systems that did not get taught commercially, it is relatively easy for someone to pose as a master of some obscure family style and dupe some unsuspecting foreigner, or for that foreigner to go back to wherever they are from and claim that they have legit FMA skills, and pass that junk off to others.

This video, and system, unfortunately, seems to be a good example of that.

Fortunately, most who have watched the video on YT seem to recognize it for what it is, judging by the comments at least.

We're talking about weapons training here, and unlike some systems that are up front about it being sport, a conservation of what was a historical practice, or simply good fun, FMA bills itself as applicable to the modern world. Soldiers, police officers, prison guards, etc. in many places have sought out FMA for their combatives training, or at least incorporate some of it in what they do. As such, in my view, there is significant potential for harm if people are being mislead. Hence my rationale for creating this thread.

Caveat emptor.

OP
C

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
You've been around FMA for quite a while. Does this look like someone interested in teaching people to fight or to protect themselves?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. But being a bad instructor or a good one makes no difference.

Martial arts to a certain extent is set up to protect these guys.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe you are being too hard on these guys considering their lack of experience. I mean after all, they are barely at grandmaster and supreme grandmaster level. Maybe if you saw what one of their supreme great-grandmasters or ultimate-supreme great-grandmasters could do, you would feel better about it. ;)

OP
C

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe you are being too hard on these guys considering their lack of experience. I mean after all, they are barely at grandmaster and supreme grandmaster level. Maybe if you saw what one of their supreme great-grandmasters or ultimate-supreme great-grandmasters could do, you would feel better about it. ;)

Exactly. That's part of my point, as I'm sure you figured out.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
^^^ Me neither. Partly 'cause I've never learned how, and partly because I still prefer to think of myself as a student of the art, even though I do coach a group of guys. For now I'll leave making videos to the guys I go to for training.

...One nice thing about thinking of yourself as a student rather than a master is that you don't feel like a poser or a fool or when you are in the company of people that are really good. ;)

OP
C

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
^^^ Me neither. Partly 'cause I've never learned how, and partly because I still prefer to think of myself as a student of the art, even though I do coach a group of guys. For now I'll leave making videos to the guys I go to for training.

...One nice thing about thinking of yourself as a student rather than a master is that you don't feel like a poser or a fool or when you are in the company of people that are really good. ;)

Yeah. I've got a long way to go.

Dong xiao hu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I found the video interesting, so I looked up diamondback eskrima . Most of their vids are seem to be standard vasyan eskrima. Then again I have been away from FMA for a long time.

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

Latest Discussions