First tournament as a school owner this weekend

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A success, all things considered.

Only had one student interested in competing, but it was his first event and he won his division. Excellent confidence boost not only for him as a yellow belt but me as a brand new school owner :D.

I actually ended up setting everything up since it ended up being local to me for various reasons, so it fell to me to find volunteers, rent a venue, run a canteen, get first aid, etc. I also ended up warming up fighters for a few instructors, coaching one of my instructor's competitors at 8 and under and even corner judging in the black belt adult and junior sparring for my first ever competition judging.

And I saw my first ever TKD teacher for the first time since 2000 and got to introduce him to my students and tell him about running my school. That was an awesome feeling :)

Our AGM could have gone better but...eh, things happen.

Here's me and my student. I think I'm as excited as he is
304294_10150340094857703_640167702_8480107_1177740604_n.jpg

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congratulations!
Those events are rough to organize and to shanghai, I mean secure volunteers for.

And when you fall into bed after the event, it's the good kind of exhaustion.... ;)

(not seeing a picture though)

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It got kind of dropped on me a few weeks before the event so October was spent basically frantic. Finding first aid, a venue, food for the canteen, volunteers, etc. It's ok, I like the pace. Keeps me active :D

Getting everything pulled together also won me some respect from some of the other instructors in the association and my student winning didn't hurt either :D. Plus, now there are more believers in my approach to sparring training which focuses on concepts and understanding more so than rigid game plans including my students and their parents.

Only regret was I should have talked him into his poomsae too. He could have taken 2 gold medals home had he competed. I also kind of wish I had stepped into the ring but I'm not sure I could have found the time.

Pic works for me on my phone and on my computer...it is a Facebook link though.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right - Now, Stand EXACTLY like you were there, but in a Doorway in a Dimly Lit House.
Then Youll look like a Psychopath! :D

...On Topic.
It must be Great to know youre churning out Effective Practitioners :)

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Right - Now, Stand EXACTLY like you were there, but in a Doorway in a Dimly Lit House.Then Youll look like a Psychopath! :D...On Topic.It must be Great to know youre churning out Effective Practitioners :)
Haha...yeah, I don't take good pictures, especially when I'm hearing "Ethan! Judge this fight!" every four or five minutes :lol:
Congratulations. I have to ask though - why was the picture taken with the student wearing one shoe? It makes me think he likes the protect his foot when he kicks people :)
He was on his way out if I remember right and we took our chance to grab a quick picture. :)

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, he sorta resembles my kid...especially with the one shoe! :lol:

But I have to say, I don't think competing and organizing goes together at the same event.
You do have to have your head in either of those endeavors or both turn out half-assed.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations!!

Latest Discussions