First Submission to Learn

Julian Figiel

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi!

It is important for beginners - when rolling - to tap often, stay relaxed, and focus on positional escapes. However, I would like to learn one submission well in order to occasionally launch an offensive attack when rolling on the mat!
I think that I should learn a submission from either open or closed guard, perhaps even half guard; or I can learn a submission that can be applied similarly from all the guard positions! Lately, I have been studying the Armbar from Closed Guard. But I have also heard good things about the Triangle Choke too!

So my question is, what submission from any guard position do you think is easiest to learn? How about most effective? And in general best for a starter? Or maybe I should learn a submission from a completely other position? What do you think?

Thank you so much! If this isn't a smart question, please let me know!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi!

It is important for beginners - when rolling - to tap often, stay relaxed, and focus on positional escapes. However, I would like to learn one submission well in order to occasionally launch an offensive attack when rolling on the mat!
I think that I should learn a submission from either open or closed guard, perhaps even half guard; or I can learn a submission that can be applied similarly from all the guard positions! Lately, I have been studying the Armbar from Closed Guard. But I have also heard good things about the Triangle Choke too!

So my question is, what submission from any guard position do you think is easiest to learn? How about most effective? And in general best for a starter? Or maybe I should learn a submission from a completely other position? What do you think?

Thank you so much! If this isn't a smart question, please let me know!

Before I go into what I like, I'd like to ask you a question. How long have you been training BJJ? Reason why I ask this, is because when I first started training, my inst. had me focusing the majority of time on position, and when you stop and think about it, it makes sense. IMHO, you can learn all of the submissions known, but if you can't maintain a good postion, then all those subs. just went right out the window.

So, the moral of the story....focus on position first, then worry about the other stuff. :)

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi Julian. BJJ is a very complex art with many submissions you can do from guard. They can all be effective a) with enough practice and b) in the right situation. Different people are going to favor different submissions based on their attributes, exposure to the technique, and aptitude. So you will need to experience them yourself to know what works for you.

It doesn't matter which one you start with. It only matters that you can make it work, which comes from lots of practice. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rear Naked Choke. As a beginner, if you aren't in a position you can do that, then you should be trying to improve position, not look for submissions.

l_uk3y

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rear Naked Choke. As a beginner, if you aren't in a position you can do that, then you should be trying to improve position, not look for submissions.

Whilst I only train very part time (After class 1 night per week for 30 mins or so). I find I spend 95% of my time too busy trying to defend against being submitted to really focus on much myself. Whilst I have learn't a few armbars and chokes etc. I find I struggle to get them working against an active opponent. My most effective submission I've found as a "Beginner" Is a rear naked Jaw Crush (as I call it). Which is when I get the back. Can't get around the neck for a choke. So just wrap arm around the jaw and squeeze till they tap.

I would say I'm in a similar position to yourself. Personally I'm not overly stressed about making people tap at the moment though. I'll worry about that once I don't need to focus all my attention on not tapping myself.
No point until I can make myself much less "Sweepable".

Luke

Latest Discussions