First break!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
YES! DO IT!

(and an "After" photo of that broken sucker :D )

You know I want to, but I'm desperately frightened by SWMBO (she who must be obeyed)

Here's the last break I ever did, twenty years ago. Get in a Zen push up position, have someone stack some cement on your back, and let someone break with a sledge.

CementBreak.JPG

And, yes, my feet should be together on the Zen pushup, I was cheating in practice for balance. It was for a demo show we did for some kids in rehab. They seemed to enjoy it. We brought a lot of easy to break boards and they went nuts breaking them.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know I want to, but I'm desperately frightened by SWMBO (she who must be obeyed)

Here's the last break I ever did, twenty years ago. Get in a Zen push up position, have someone stack some cement on your back, and let someone break with a sledge.

View attachment 22015

And, yes, my feet should be together on the Zen pushup, I was cheating in practice for balance. It was for a demo show we did for some kids in rehab. They seemed to enjoy it. We brought a lot of easy to break boards and they went nuts breaking them.
So cool mate, love it :). I'm due for a break! Actually, we have these long planks of wood out the backyard that the owners left... hmmmm.......

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That break I showed is what I call "a show break". If you're thin like I am, there's that natural space at the small of your back. The cement lies over that space. Now, if someone is going to break it by hand, it would be difficult. I'd call @Dirty Dog for it, but I sure as hell wouldn't hit it myself. But a sledge hammer just breaks it like it's nothing.

The most difficult part is getting it up when you're in the Zen push up position. (man, is that a straight line set up, or what?) It's heavy, you have to have a strong core. In the actual demo you have someone place a board with a long spike sticking through it under your stomach. Looks very dangerous, but it isn't at all. If you feel yourself going down you just drop to your elbows and pull your knees up towards your chest, making a safety bridge.

It's really all Hollywood. But it's kind of fun. The crowd always likes it, especially kids. The adults just think you're nuts.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Sure, if you're talking about a single board with something like a side kick."
I agree, a side kick has the most power and is the safest way to break a board.

Please use the quote feature rather than doing this.

IMO the color boards are a good Idea, especially for kids, slowly going throw the colors to black boards.

Depends on which boards you're using. If the 'color boards' are the equivalent of a 3" wide strip of wood 1/8" thick, then no.
There can be some value if you have a student who is afraid to hit hard. They can get used to the idea that hitting the board doesn't hurt. But they should quickly advance to something that approximates a real board.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I went to the dojang holiday party, and was having a good time. It was fun to have a real chance to talk to folks I'd only had a nodding acquaintance with until now. In the back of the room, a bunch of people (of all ages) were practicing breaking boards, both the rebreakable kind and some that were left over from this past week of testing. At a certain point, our master instructor started writing holiday messages on the boards so people could take photos afterward and keep them as souvenirs.

Since I just earned my yellow stripe on Monday, and have never been anywhere near a board, I was content just watching. It never even occurred to me to try... and then I was handed a pine slab with a scribbled greeting. Um, what? I wasn't ready! Also, I was wearing a dress.

Reader, I broke that sucker on the first try, and it was SO SATISFYING. I can't wait to do it again.

I tried to embed the image, but couldn't get it to work. So here's a link instead: Baby's first board break
How does this have a dislike?

I guess someone is a nature lover.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing but trying not to take it personally. :)

I'd hazard a guess it's an err. I think @Xue Sheng ate too much bacon before that post.

Last edited:

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do I really need furniture? Hmm...
Awesome job! But yes you PROBABLY need furniture. Not desperately but more or less... You know... just to keep from having to sleep on the floor. I've never done breaks, but I love heavy bag work and POUND. Very therapeutic.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, that makes no sense.
Also 1 dislikes take so many likes away.
I have one dislike and it takes 11 likes away.

Here, you can have some of mine. I learned to share when I was in kindergarten.

OP
Plin

Plin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tonight is my first TKD class after the holidays, and my first full adult all-levels class. I'm excited and a little nervous. But mostly excited. I'm bouncing around like a kid waiting for Santa to arrive.

Will we break things? No idea! Doesn't matter. I know it will be fun, and hard, and I'll learn some stuff. I really can't ask for more from a couple hours of my time.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight is my first TKD class after the holidays, and my first full adult all-levels class. I'm excited and a little nervous. But mostly excited. I'm bouncing around like a kid waiting for Santa to arrive.

Will we break things? No idea! Doesn't matter. I know it will be fun, and hard, and I'll learn some stuff. I really can't ask for more from a couple hours of my time.
Man, I love posts like this.

OP
Plin

Plin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So, elsewhere, @Bruce7 asked for more details about the school I attend and the instructor(s). I'm here to oblige!

The school is owned and operated by an 8th Dan BB, who opened it in 1986. He is still the primary instructor, assisted by another advanced BB (I'm not sure of his specific rank) and various others who occasionally lead warmups and help with colored belt practices. Our Master instructor has coached regional and national athletes and the USA team; his son, who has his own school, is a former national champion.

Now that I'm out of the beginner's class (which meets twice a week and is all ages, so it was often me and a couple of eight year olds), the schedule offers up to five classes a week: Tuesday and Wednesday nights are primarily for working on the material for various testing requirements, while Thursday nights emphasize sparring. On Saturdays there is a weekly review session and a sparring class. Black belts also have their own classes, although there are usually at least one or two in attendance on the other nights as well.

This is an ITF school affiliated with Unified ITF, and GM Hwang, Kwang Sung visits about once a year to hold trainings and workshops. He was here a few weeks before I started, so I haven't met him yet.

The instruction at the colored belt level emphasizes foundational techniques. Generally, we spend the bulk of each class working on a small number of moves, with exercises and drills aimed at improving precision and power, with speed coming later. There's a mix of individual, partnered, and bag work. Some of it is done as a class, some broken down into groups by level, with assistance and supervision from the instructors and any black belts in attendance.

Last night was my first time doing anything related to sparring, which we didn't do in the beginner class. Since this Saturday in lieu of the normal practices there will be a special sparring workshop with a visiting guest instructor and national team members, we focused on practice drills and some no-contact sparring. I need to purchase the protective gear so I can join in the real fun! Still, it was cool to practice using moves and combinations against a partner. We rotated around so I got to work with partners of different levels of experience, which is useful.

I obviously have nothing to compare it to, but I appreciate what seems to be a very thoughtful and rigorous approach to instruction, and the sense of community among students, instructors, and families. The atmosphere strikes what is, to me, a good balance between taking the work and discipline very seriously but also having a good time along the way.

So, that's what life is like around here. I'm digging it.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
So, elsewhere, @Bruce7 asked for more details about the school I attend and the instructor(s). I'm here to oblige!

The school is owned and operated by an 8th Dan BB, who opened it in 1986. He is still the primary instructor, assisted by another advanced BB (I'm not sure of his specific rank) and various others who occasionally lead warmups and help with colored belt practices. Our Master instructor has coached regional and national athletes and the USA team; his son, who has his own school, is a former national champion.

Now that I'm out of the beginner's class (which meets twice a week and is all ages, so it was often me and a couple of eight year olds), the schedule offers up to five classes a week: Tuesday and Wednesday nights are primarily for working on the material for various testing requirements, while Thursday nights emphasize sparring. On Saturdays there is a weekly review session and a sparring class. Black belts also have their own classes, although there are usually at least one or two in attendance on the other nights as well.

This is an ITF school affiliated with Unified ITF, and GM Hwang, Kwang Sung visits about once a year to hold trainings and workshops. He was here a few weeks before I started, so I haven't met him yet.

The instruction at the colored belt level emphasizes foundational techniques. Generally, we spend the bulk of each class working on a small number of moves, with exercises and drills aimed at improving precision and power, with speed coming later. There's a mix of individual, partnered, and bag work. Some of it is done as a class, some broken down into groups by level, with assistance and supervision from the instructors and any black belts in attendance.

Last night was my first time doing anything related to sparring, which we didn't do in the beginner class. Since this Saturday in lieu of the normal practices there will be a special sparring workshop with a visiting guest instructor and national team members, we focused on practice drills and some no-contact sparring. I need to purchase the protective gear so I can join in the real fun! Still, it was cool to practice using moves and combinations against a partner. We rotated around so I got to work with partners of different levels of experience, which is useful.

I obviously have nothing to compare it to, but I appreciate what seems to be a very thoughtful and rigorous approach to instruction, and the sense of community among students, instructors, and families. The atmosphere strikes what is, to me, a good balance between taking the work and discipline very seriously but also having a good time along the way.

So, that's what life is like around here. I'm digging it.

Your school sounds great.

Short history.
GM Hwang, Kwang Sung teacher was Choi Hong Hi.
International Taekwondo Federation (ITF) was founded by Major General Choi Hong Hi in 1966.
General Choi Hong Hi introduction of the sport into North Korea in 1972, was exile to Canada.
The South Korea government formed the WTF in 1973. A lot of the GMs join the WTF in 1973.

OP
Plin

Plin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know that because I've had to learn some of the history for belt testing. :)

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know that because I've had to learn some of the history for belt testing. :)

I think you are lucky to be going to such a good school. IMO all schools should teach you their history, I feel it is important.

I personally believe Choi Hong Hi was a very important part of unifying Korean MA under Taekwondo, but because he introduced the sport to North Korea, the Korean government tries to minimizes his contributions to Taekwondo. My GM was in the Army from 1950 to 1955 and went to seminars when Choi Hong Hi would come to America in the 60's, but when Choi Hong Hi introduce the sport to North Korea,
my GM was one of the main signatures in the U.S. for the WTF.
The split was not about MA, it was about strong feelings against North Korea.

OP
Plin

Plin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I've read a bit (here and elsewhere) about the controversy. Most of it seems to be politically motivated rather than anything to do with the art itself.

Anyway, as is often suggested here on MT, I really chose this school because it was nearby and my initial impressions were positive, not because of the specific flavor of TKD it taught. This is a school I feel good about attending, which means I will go frequently and enthusiastically, which means I'm more likely to actually learn something. All the rest is interesting to know about for color and context, but not really material to the practice itself.

I mean, I guess this means I'll never compete in the Olympics, but I was pretty sure that wasn't going to happen at this point, anyway. ;)

OP
Plin

Plin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tonight, we did several kicking drills against the bags and some partner work on mirroring movements and throwing cross punches when stepping on the opposite leg. But the most productive part of the night, for me, was when we broke into groups to work on our patterns. My group had a black belt working with us who was very hands-on, correcting our stances and blocks in a detailed way I found very helpful. I want to be precise in my movements, and each instructor tends to focus on different aspects, so I love that even a basic pattern can be full of challenging nuances.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
My group had a black belt working with us who was very hands-on, correcting our stances and blocks in a detailed way I found very helpful. I want to be precise in my movements, and each instructor tends to focus on different aspects, so I love that even a basic pattern can be full of challenging nuances.

Once the movements are precise and are put in muscle memory by millions of reps. They will be their forever. I had not training in 34 years and it all came back in just a day, because the muscle memory was still there. My favorite forms are simple, I just start the form, and enjoy the movements. I don't think about anything but the flow and power of the movements. Muscle memory allow me to truly enjoy the form.

Latest Discussions