Finger jab.

B

bscastro

How do you guys train the finger jab? Besides practicing with a partner, I go on a heavy bag (lightly) and also use a piece of paper which I fold up and hang from the ceiling (funny thing, I use dental floss to hang it as it is the only thing I had at the time).

Someone else mentioned using a ping-pong ball suspended from a string. Anyway, what drills, tools, etc. do you use to develop this technique?

Cheers,
Bryan

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not so sure I can bring myself to jab someone in the eyes. I understand that many people would say they have no problem with it. May be not. Until you are faced with a real situation, you really don't know.

JMHO. The benefits of thinking ahead is, when the situation arises, you would have an alternative plan of action.

For those who intend on practicing the eye jabbing technique, you can have your sparring partner put on goggles and jab away at real target :D

OP
S

sweeper

well you can always replace the lead eye jab with a normal jab, but the finger jab isn't just used to strike someone's eye's, it's also used as a distraction to obscure the opponant's vission and as a monitor to feal your opponant's movement, as an obstruction to vission it works alot better than a normal jab because you can move it faster (there is less tension) and it takes up more space than the punch in your opponant's field of view.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've found that Century's B.O.B. (Body Opponent Bag-the big punching/kicking thing that looks like a person on a Wavemaster base) is very good for training eyejabs. It helps you get around the bridge of the nose and brow without risk of injury if you do accidentally hit them, as well as giving you a nice squishy target to hit.

B.O.B. is great for practicing throat strikes as well.

Cthulhu

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Someone once told me to thing of the finger jab as the tip of a fencing sword. The movements in JKD are very closely related to the striking motions of a foil fencer....as far as the finger jab goes.

Thanks
Jeremy Bays

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, if I train the finger jab as an eye strike, I don't train it as a penetrating strike, but a flicking, speedy hit. In my opinion, it doesn't take much for an eyejab to be effective. Touch your own eyeball...now touch it at speed :) Doesn't take much.

Cthulhu

OP
B

bscastro

Originally posted by Cthulhu

Personally, if I train the finger jab as an eye strike, I don't train it as a penetrating strike, but a flicking, speedy hit. In my opinion, it doesn't take much for an eyejab to be effective. Touch your own eyeball...now touch it at speed :) Doesn't take much.

Cthulhu

I got some first hand experience with this recently. In some backyard training with my partner, he accidently poked me in the eye when trying to practice a combination. Although he just touched the eye lightly, I found myself reeling back for a moment before realizing it wasn't so bad.

It doesn't need to permanently blind the person to be effective. In this experience, it would have created an opening for other techniques, such as elbows, headbutts, and knees, as well as a big thai kick to the legs perhaps.

Bryan

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by bscastro

I got some first hand experience with this recently. In some backyard training with my partner, he accidently poked me in the eye when trying to practice a combination. Although he just touched the eye lightly, I found myself reeling back for a moment before realizing it wasn't so bad.

It doesn't need to permanently blind the person to be effective. In this experience, it would have created an opening for other techniques, such as elbows, headbutts, and knees, as well as a big thai kick to the legs perhaps.

Bryan

Exactly my point, bscastro! With that in mind, not only would I like to train the eye jab as a quick, flicking, disorienting attack, but also train the ability to follow up and capitalize on that moment effectively.

Cthulhu

OP
S

sweeper

my instructor pointed out another advantage of the eye jab as well as other "dirty" techs, they give a strong signal that you aren't @#$%ing around, that you mean buisness and if they want to stay in the fihght they are gona come out of it with some dammage.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I understand and appreciate the merits of eye jab being effective without necessary poking someone's eyes out.

We have liability issue here. You break someone's knee, the injury is seldom permanent. Eye sight is a different story. For example, some one snatched your wife or girl friend's purse.or picked your pocket. You confronted him and jabbed him in the eyes. Now the DA office may charge you with malicious intent to cause serious bodily harm, in other words, excessive use of force. I know it is perverse. But you know our justice system. The DA is not going to care (nor even comprehends) if you only mean to "show that you were serious in the fight" or you were only intending to "tab" him in the eyes to stunt him. And the juries won't be hard to convince that jabbing someone in the eyes, has only one intent.

People tend to react in according to how they train. If you train to jab instinctively, that is very likely to be how you would react.

(I have heard cases of cops returning the weapon to the attacker after they have just wrestled it away from the attacker, b/c that is how they do it in training, ie returning the fake gun to the training partners. Hence, in time of stress, they react the same way they do in training. LMAO )

OP
S

sweeper

yeah probably if I was jumped the first thing that would happen is my foot would shoot into the attackers shin and my fingers would fan and move up as a draw/feint. But the second thing that would happen would probably be me turning and sprinting like mad.. in my class the majority of combinations or finishings end with a way to exit contact range and run like hell or we simply enter hit and run. mugger isn't gona chace me down with a fracture to the tibia.

OP
J

jmdrake

Hello all,

Good ideas on training the finger jab! While I've never tried the "ping pong" ball I have done the "brass ball hanging from the ceiling fan". :) Something else I've done is have my training partner wear a pair of goggles for realistic "live" training. Just make sure they are off good quality! I use a pair of shop goggles myself.

Regards,

John M. Drake

OP
I

IFAJKD

Just saw this post and wanted to add somehting. The finger Jab is more effectife as a flick than and all out jab. It tends to scratch and water the eyy causing temporary blindness and pain where as too often the all out jab causes a traumatic push and the eye is stunned but func. It doesn't have the scratching effect. Actually it causes pain deep in the back of your head but you can function. The flick is instant and does stop an attacker. This is not always the case but I have found it to be true more consistently then most other techniques.

OP
S

sweeper

never had a torn cornea but my mother had and she described it as one of the most painfull things she had ever experienced. the jabing method I tought was to try to detach the retna.

OP
I

IFAJKD

The goal is not the detaching of the retna or cornia or necessarily any permenent damage at all, but to cause a painful response that temporarily interferes with their vision so as to allow further entry or pressure with additional attacks. This way the finger jab is used to enter safely.
Everyone has been poked in the eye at least once. a child can stop a grown man by accidently poking his eye while thay are playing. This is the response we look for and it's just a flick that does it.
That all said........Of course you can perform a more serious jab to cause serious damage. but This is not the typical use or the most common understanding.

As for your mother:eek: ouch

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Detaching the retina seems a tough goal to aim for (so to speak) and scratching the cornea seems more realistic. Of course a hard enough whack may detach the retina but it seems like poor odds.

My instructor emphasizes using the finger jab to gain advantage to get in a serious HKE shot.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Long ago, my first pair of contacts wore out and scratched the surface of the cornea of both eyes.

It hurt very bad. I don't know about being the worst pain I ever felt, but it was definitely the worst pain I had ever felt from my eyes.

Cthulhu

Latest Discussions