Finger jab.

OP
S

sweeper

I duno, my brother is blind in one eye, he got hit in the face with a soccer ball and his retna partialy detached.

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by bscastro

How do you guys train the finger jab? Besides practicing with a partner, I go on a heavy bag (lightly) and also use a piece of paper which I fold up and hang from the ceiling (funny thing, I use dental floss to hang it as it is the only thing I had at the time).

Someone else mentioned using a ping-pong ball suspended from a string. Anyway, what drills, tools, etc. do you use to develop this technique?

Cheers,
Bryan
Try Eagle and tiger claw push-ups. Back hand makiwara training along with single and double finger form sets. Proper forming of the hands ( with hand strength & finger strength) when using a one or two finger jab is the major component of the acutal application.
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

OP
I

IFAJKD

Although perhaps sound for an Eagle Claw system, this is not the JKD finger jab. JKD is a four finger to one eye flick or blunt benign thrust to create a better window for ABC or another such follow up. Think of it as one of two things.
1) interception
2) destruction
all require follow up as all produce only windows to attack...not the end of one

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by IFAJKD

Although perhaps sound for an Eagle Claw system, this is not the JKD finger jab. JKD is a four finger to one eye flick or blunt benign thrust to create a better window for ABC or another such follow up. Think of it as one of two things.
1) interception
2) destruction
all require follow up as all produce only windows to attack...not the end of one
I see you point in this type of jab to produce a suki by the opponent. Yet, their is nothing like the basic fingertip push-ups to improve the finger thrust.
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

OP
I

IFAJKD

A "suki" :confused: I have no idea what that is. I am just a basic JKD'er. That being said. I don't think I want an eye jab by you. (joke)

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

A "suki" :confused: I have no idea what that is. I am just a basic JKD'er. That being said. I don't think I want an eye jab by you. (joke)

Basically, Japanese for 'opening' or 'opportunity'.

Cthulhu

PS Been awhile! How's the school going?

OP
I

IFAJKD

Cthulhu My friend:
It has been awhile. I pop in from time to time but I have been going crazy here. School is going good. Been going heavy into the NHB scene and wow has it been a blast as well as enlightening. Been working on my ground game and to keep on subject, I have been victim to many an eye jab on the ground. Tore a ham string and that is a major bummer right now but I can still box and ground fight. Thai boxing suffers. How are you ? opps. I better stop there I'll send you an email
see ya

good to read the new blood here

OP
J

jmdrake

1) interception
2) destruction

Hi IFAJKD,

Your analysis of the JKD fingerjab is correct. But there is an alternate one. In the book Bruce Lee's Fighting Method: Basic Training Bruce also shows a finger jab with a "spear tip" point. This can be used for attacking a single eye or for the hollow of the throat.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I use a B.O.B. Like someone already said its great for practicing several techniques including finger jab. Having a realistic looking and sized target really helps increase your accuracy for finger jab. The only thing I don't like about B.O.B. is I like to also gouge pretty deep and you can't gouge at all on the B.O.B (I know that probably makes KennethKu squirm haha but If I'm faced with a raging 250 pound monster I'm going to try to reach his brain. I'll be far to concerned with my own safety to worry about his heh)

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Very funny Mr. Mavis lol

I wouldn't think twice about stabbing someone in the heart, but I have to pass on the eyes. lol

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not really. The circumstances that compell you to use deadly force would be no difference from those that compell you to poke someone's eyes out. :asian:

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is true. But at least he can still live with his eye taken out... if you start poking people full of holes they tend to die. HA!

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
K

Kong

I use music and the paper target to train the fingerjab. I`ll close my eyes or look away from the target, then on the third beat I`ll check the target and strike on the fourth. It`s great for when you`re training without an instructor or partner, to get a unpredictable, moving target for striking practise. Hitting the eyes of someone in a real selfdefence situation could be extremely difficult with the stress and movements of you`re opponent.
Finger pushups are great for improving finger strength and would aid anybodys fingerjab I think. Of course if I could master this poking of holes in opponents body technique, I`d definately go with that!:D

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
oh... I thought he was referring to using a knife to stab someone. If KennethKu meant fingers.... wow.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah right! I wish! On second thought, NO, I don't. To master such skill, one must truly as no life what so ever. lol

I once read a Chinese Kung Fu text that described such training. Basically, you want to get to the point where you can perform 3 fingers (each hand) push-up. And then, you add incremental weight onto your back while doing the push-up. Eventually you want to be able to do 100 push up with 100lb of weight added. Granted, those would be Chinese lb, not the Imperial lb. I forgot about the conversion ratio. And it would take a minimum of 5 years of training to achieve the Iron Eagle Craws (Asians have a thing for grandiose titles and terms) The thing is, you have no idea how credible the information is. The author claimed to be privy of Chinese Hard martial art training secrets. Who am I to argue with that? Or I can go out and buy a Bowie knife. :D

OP
K

Kong

Eventually you want to be able to do 100 push up with 100lb of weight added
"Iron Eagle Claw" or not, you`d still end up with some pretty hefty fingerpower there :D The Bowie probably still would do better with the when it comes to poking holes in peoples though!

OP
B

bob919

luckily the chances of causing permenat blindness are very remote it would take a lot of power to penetrate an eyeball (they are surprisingl tough) just a quiuck jab shouldn't be permenat and alot of fighters will back off after just one jab cause sight means soo much to them

OP
Y

yin_yang75

We eye jab 2 ways. 1st is a tap on the eye with finger tips, 2nd is to sweep acrost the eye with the fingers. The thing we work on is execution of the technique because if you miss you can hurt yourself by breaking a finger. Also your hyperextened finger will trap your arm for that half second that we are always looking for.

Any bil gee can be turned into an eye jab and almost any trap can led to an eye jab. We don't train the technique to remove the guys eye, it is a distraction to disorientate and break rhythym. A lot of people have already pointed out that it doesn't take a lot of contact with the eye to rock your world, a 2 year old can take you out with one by accident.

Of course the Muk is good for this (shameless plug) because you are trapping and if you do the technique wrong it hurts. Also work it out of jun fan boxing drills.

If your wife is extremely gullible do jik chung chuie drills and tap her forehead to simulate the eye gouge. Of course if you miss and poke her in the eye :eek: you will have to immediately perfect the art of sleeping with one eye open.;)

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I teach the eye jab from a different perspective. Strengthening of the fingers is fine, but if the attacker is moving toward you and you miss and hit his cheek bone or forehead, your finger/s are now in question of injury and any further optimum use in a protracted struggle. A second jab with that hands fingers may not feel like an attractive option now. Grappling with your strong hand is possibly weakened. Making a closed fist, strong side forward, is possibly hampered. Turning door knobs to escape, holding a weapon, etc. all possibly compromised. I teach my students to CROSS THE INDEX AND MIDDLE FINGERS to ensure maximum stability in case of a missed attempt landing on dense skull bone. Many balk at using the knuckles of a fist, instead of the palm, and the damage done to them if striking the skull. The old bare knuckle fighters used to "nod" the head down so as to damage the knuckles and fingers of their opponents when possible. I have read that head punches were much more common after gloves were commonly used due to this prior danger. How well the joints of the phalanges would fare in single formation is too risky conditioning or not. The added stability of crossing the two fingers is quite remarkable. Try the single finger and then the crossed method by jabbing hard on your desk or table. Which is stronger and safer? Also think about the ladies hands and their vulnerability compared to most men's fingers. Doubling up with those long finger nails would be like a dagger, too. I have trained the muscles in my hands so that my fingers snap rapidly into the Spock/Vulcan "V" formation. The middle finger crosses over the index. The third finger crosses over the fourth "pinky" finger". The "V" fits nicely over the bridge of the nose and you have now near doubled your odds of hitting at least one eye and possibly the jackpot of both. If you miss, your fingers are much safer for that second attempt or any other needed activity. If you find this of interest, and your hands/fingers won't go into the "V" position on their own, manually place them into that position a few times a day and they will do it w/o manual assistance in a matter of 2-3 weeks. Once the muscles can do it, you never loose the ability, if trained with any initial diligence. The coordination exercises, posted earlier by others, are not hampered and the training with solid objects becomes safer and more enjoyable. Hope I'm not stepping on any toes with my post, but I have seen broken fingers end fights. Just look at Wally Jay's finger poppers for one.

Live long and prosper,
white belt