Fight Quest-Krav Maga

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jimmy and Doug are heading off to train in Krav for this weeks show! I'm looking forward to it, and it'll be interesting to compare this episode and training to that of Human Weapon.

The episode is airing on the 22nd!!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Should be a good one!
icon14.gif

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I liked it! Really good, I think it was the best portrayal so far of RBSD that I've ever seen. Very hard training, very real, much more than the average MMA student will get. These guys got their clocks cleaned, by hard Israeli women no less!!!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes Jimmy got the **** kick out of him
I've been trying to put my finger on why I enjoy Fight Quest so much more than Human Weapon and last nights episode finally helped it click for me. Yes, Jimmy got the crap beat out of him...and kept on going. Most episodes there is an injury or ailment that seems to slow one of the two guys down (usually Doug kicking someone's elbow) yet they keep on keeping on. Both guys are just much more mentally in line with most MA viewers than the guys over on HW. Jimmy snapping into military mode was great on last nights episode and his statement about "acceptance" into the unit really looked hearfelt. Doug's chemistry with Avivit was a positive as well. You could see that he truly respected her abilities...anyone else catch the "I'll see you in my nightmares" joke towards the end?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes Jeff the Nightmare was amazing and he probaly will see her there and everywhere else for a while.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the show last night was excellent! I enjoyed seeing the military and civilian sides to it. The training was very intense. I give Jimmy and Doug a ton of credit...they both took a beating, but kept on going. Jimmys leg took a beating, but despite the pain, got right back up! :)

I did find it interesting, because you could see them both at times, reverting to MMA mode, ie: the takedowns, attempted ankle lock. The Krav guys adapted well IMO, when they went to the ground.

Great show!!

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Krav Maga episode was the best one for me. It just shows the reality of how brutal a streetfight can be. And for me I think I'm in love with Avivit.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree that it was probably one of the best yet! One of the features that I like above the Human Weapon series is that the hosts get to focus on a single, particular school instead of a day here, an afternoon there and not really learning much at all.

I think that Doug and Jimmy probably get more out of th training that way as well.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that bottom line the show hosts are working harder, taking more abuse and appreciating their training more and it shows. Plus the show really let's the arts tee off on the hosts which well makes it interesting!
icon6.gif

akatrk

White Belt
Reaction score
Damn good show. Caught the repeat with my girlfriend.

I particularly liked the fact that they showed that Krav Maga is serious business. That message got sent out real early when Doug ate that elbow from Avivit demonstrating what to do in a certain situation. Bam! When I saw it I said "Babe, she just clocked him with that elbow." It got real serious when you heard Doug mentioned that he felt little chips of his teeth in his mouth. That's when he put his mouth piece in.

Oh yeah, the "See you in my nightmares" joke? Yeah, we caught that one. LMAO!

SilatFan

Green Belt
Reaction score
The series is awesome! But wow I seem to have a different take on this episode.

I guess its all in the eye of the beholder. When I saw Doug, who has little actual MMA training experience, take down KM practitioners regularly when he was tired or at a loss for what to do it made me think that those KM practitioners needed to work on their takedown defense. Doug is 5’6” and 145 lbs and just got a blue belt in BJJ (http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/fight-quest/bios/doug.html). The fact that Doug was trying a toe hold while wearing 16 oz boxing gloves on a guy wearing shoes (which help prevent toe holds but make heel hooks easy) demonstrates his experience level in MMA. That is not an indictment on him as a person or martial artist. He’s doing what he wants, improving daily, travelling the world and having experiences most MArtists can only dream about. IMO he did great but many of the KM guys did not. He was the visitor. He was the one getting a stare down for a reception. He was the one in the center of the drill where the KM practitioners constantly rotated in fresh, experienced guys and he still held his own with what little MMA training he has. If anything it demonstrated – to me – how effective MMA training could be. With little experience, size and fatigued he played their game and still held his own. But I think I know what you guys mean. I understand that going to the ground in a number of self defense type situations could be a mistake but I also see how effective grappling/MMA is when a small, tired, low ranked guy in BJJ/MMA can take experienced, bigger, fresher, accomplished KM guys down consistently as a very powerful statement as well.

I also thought that Avivit elbowing Doug in the mouth while he was just standing there was lame. It was a cheap shot. Instructors regularly throw mock strikes - that do not land - at students to show some aspect of a technique while the student just stands there. It certainly does not demonstrate that she could do that to him if they were fighting. If a guy did that you’d crack him one. Did you notice how clam and laid back the IDF guys were while how uptight and tense Avivit was. That is insecurity. Calm and decent behavior in regular human interaction and intense and aggressive behavior in “sparring” is what I look for in an instructor. Not someone who is aggressive and tense while talking to me but never actually spars or “trades” hits with me. To me that type of behavior speaks volumes about the person and their confidence and skill levels. Oh well, just my 2 cents.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The series is awesome! But wow I seem to have a different take on this episode.

I guess its all in the eye of the beholder. When I saw Doug, who has little actual MMA training experience, take down KM practitioners regularly when he was tired or at a loss for what to do it made me think that those KM practitioners needed to work on their takedown defense. Doug is 5’6” and 145 lbs and just got a blue belt in BJJ (http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/fight-quest/bios/doug.html). The fact that Doug was trying a toe hold while wearing 16 oz boxing gloves on a guy wearing shoes (which help prevent toe holds but make heel hooks easy) demonstrates his experience level in MMA. That is not an indictment on him as a person or martial artist. He’s doing what he wants, improving daily, travelling the world and having experiences most MArtists can only dream about. IMO he did great but many of the KM guys did not. He was the visitor. He was the one getting a stare down for a reception. He was the one in the center of the drill where the KM practitioners constantly rotated in fresh, experienced guys and he still held his own with what little MMA training he has. If anything it demonstrated – to me – how effective MMA training could be. With little experience, size and fatigued he played their game and still held his own. But I think I know what you guys mean. I understand that going to the ground in a number of self defense type situations could be a mistake but I also see how effective grappling/MMA is when a small, tired, low ranked guy in BJJ/MMA can take experienced, bigger, fresher, accomplished KM guys down consistently as a very powerful statement as well.

I agree...ground work is important. There were some cases though, in which the Krav guys seemed to adapt pretty good. I noticed a few of them sprawl when Jim and Doug attempted a double leg. Additionally, I really don't think that they (Jim and Doug) really had the upper hand on any of the Krav guys when it went to the ground.

I also thought that
Avivit elbowing Doug in the mouth while he was just standing there was lame. It was a cheap shot. Instructors regularly throw mock strikes - that do not land - at students to show some aspect of a technique while the student just stands there. It certainly does not demonstrate that she could do that to him if they were fighting. If a guy did that you’d crack him one. Did you notice how clam and laid back the IDF guys were while how uptight and tense Avivit was. That is insecurity. Calm and decent behavior in regular human interaction and intense and aggressive behavior in “sparring” is what I look for in an instructor. Not someone who is aggressive and tense while talking to me but never actually spars or “trades” hits with me. To me that type of behavior speaks volumes about the person and their confidence and skill levels. Oh well, just my 2 cents.

To me she looked like shes just the type of person that gets excited easy. But yes, I agree there was a difference between the two teachers.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Could it be, that as a woman in that enviroment, she had to adapt and become that way with her training? Considering everything that goes on over there, I'm sure the women that train go all out and keep that mentality. The men being bigger and stronger don't have to "make a point" and prove themselves. I dunno, just a thought. From my experiences girls always have to prove themselves in those kind of worlds to get the respect and attention due them more so.

akatrk

White Belt
Reaction score
I see your point SilatFan but consider what Hand Sword said as well.

I've been in law enforcement for the past 12 years and have worked with one of my best friends for 10 years. I am 6' 2" while my partner stands at 4' 10" and she looks like a kid going to school. Although she vertically challenged as I tell her, she has plenty of heart.

While on patrol in the subway, there have been times when she has had to step up and take control of the situation, especially dealing with men. Some men (including those that are in the department) have considered women to be frail, afraid of their own shadow, and least of all, authoritative. My partner on many occasions has had to take control of the situation including us "Rockin and Rollin" with a perp on the ground to place him under arrest. It's the mentality that some men have that dictate the mentality that some women MUST have.

What I saw in Avivit is just the same thing. I think she wanted to make sure that because she was a woman, she should not be taken lightly. I also saw as the show progressed that she started to lighten up on Doug. She even cracked a smile but only after gaining some respect for the system as well as for herself.

Just my two cents (would give five but waiting for a raise ).

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While watching the show with the beautiful one. (aka my wife) I noticed a few things.

Truthfully in a one on one ring match (ala MMA) both Doug and Jimmy would be a handful for most of the Krav Maga practitioners that I saw on the show. (that is what they do) Not saying they would win but if I was betting I probably would have bet on them. Alot of this is based on their ground game.

Now take it to a bar, street, alley, battlefield, etc. and I think the pendulum swings abit and I would probably have bet on the Krav Maga practitioner. Basing this on willingness and probably having a weapon on them, improvised weapons, mental training, etc.

Of course to many variables enter into this kind of a thing.

Still in watching the episode it really was a good showing for Krav Maga and what they do. I enjoyed it a bunch as I have always like Krav Maga.

Now as to Avivit. She is in a tough part of the world and needs to exemplify just how tough it is. It looked like she was teaching civilians more so than military and so she needs to prepare them. Should she have hit Doug with the elbow? Probably not and in truth she probably did not mean to but with filming, etc. it just happened. One thing is for sure she is a tough minded lady and I imagine that she can take care of herself pretty well.
icon6.gif

Latest Discussions