FF7: Advent Children

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
OK! This movie is so good, it deserves it's own thread. Just to discuss how this movie was not made by man, but by alien ninjas. Because man could not ever make a movie as good as this.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Should I take it that you are already a Final Fantasy fan? The posts on IMDB also give some good reviews. However, it seems that one who knows nothing about Final Fantasy at all (such as myself) would be rather lost.

What I liked so much about Joss Whedon's "Serenity" is that you could enjoy the movie without knowing any background. Sure, I didn't have as much emotional connection to the characters and there were a few things I'm sure I missed, but I could enjoy every second of it from beginning to end. I had never seen a single episode of "Firefly" but, after watching "Serentiy" I'm going to buy the entire series.

Do you think a newcomer could enjoy FF7 in the same way or would a lot be lost if you aren't familiar with the background?

OP
Solidman82

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You won't understand some things and won't enjoy it as much as I did, but the movie is so well done I'm not really sure it matters. If you watch it tell me what you thought, it's awesome.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It really is a movie for Final Fantasy fans, especially FF7 fans. The movie doesn't offer much in terms of backstory, and is really more of an extension of the game, rather than a piece of art in and of itself. If you're really into the game, though, then this is definetely the movie for you. There are some really stunning visuals, and it's really neat to see all the characters so well-rendered, though the story wasn't anything notable.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm guessing this is not in theaters? I've seen some of these come to teh movie channels, but haven't watched them.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My roommate was just watching that like 10 minutes ago... he said it blew the other one away.

OP
Solidman82

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It isn't out in the west yet, but it will be on DVD and UMD sometime over the holiday season. Buy it for your kids, they'll love you for it!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My kids like video games and would likely like this. Is it appropriate for my 11 year old?

OP
Solidman82

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It kind of depends on who does the subtitles. The movie itself is fine for all ages. But sometimes translators feel the need to make the language more "colorful". The version I saw though wasn't terrible, just a bad word maybe 3 times in the film.