Favorite kata

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Still trying to breath some life into this part of the forumÂ…breath damn it Spock,Â…but I guess with only a half dozen of us interestedÂ…

So what is your favorite kata? Out of all the sets, we all have one that we like more than the others.

I generally like simplicity; but there are some that I really do enjoy, like Mae, Oroshi, Makko and Kabe Zoe.

But my all time favorite has got to be Tsuki Kage. I like the concept of catching your opponent at the very last second, I like the strength needed to do it properly, the simplicity, and when its done correctly it just looks so cool.

Uchinanchu

Green Belt
Reaction score
My favorite sawari gata in Mugai Ryu is Hasumi. Sadly, for me, it's also the hardest (on my joints) due to the initial jumping up and forward movement, followed by the jump/sliding backward motion performed.
My favorite tachi gata is Shiho.
In the Zen Nippon Iaido Renmei Toho set, I like Iaigaki...but really need to work on my footwork (a fairly new kata for me).

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My favorite sawari gata in Mugai Ryu is Hasumi.
I personally much prefer Habiki Gaeshi to Hasumi. I have real problems seeing my opponent in Hasumi.

OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you guys have some video links to share??

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm, favbourite kata; that's a tough one. Are we allowed only one?

I love the crisp, clean, sheer unexpected rapidity of Yukichigai. But I also love the 'physical' ferocity of Oroshi or the elegance of Kissaki Gaeshi or the 'affronted honour' (as I see the bunkai) and intelligent counter of Tsukekomi ...

I have to admit that there is something I respond to in every kata of MJER :eek:.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As to video, the only footage that exists of me is in my pre-dan days and I'd be far too embarassed to publicly host any of it (other than as examples of what not to do :d).

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I love all the kata in MSR but, I'd have to say my top three from each of the styles I've studied would be:

1. Inyo Shintai (Omori Ryu)
2. Zangetsu Migi (Shinden Munen Ryu)
3. Tsuka Ate (Seitei)

Granted I've been Shodan for 10 yrs (can not take formal classes anymore) and have not learned Chuden or Okuden kata, some look really nice and probably very hard to do. Maybe some day when kids are grown and I have more time and money, and hopefully my knees will be up to all the Tate Hiza I will get back to formal training.

Although, I was training one day at a camp and Mitsuzuka Sensei told the class that if you could get Shohatto, Sato, Uto and Atarito to be perfect (yea, like that will ever happen) that's all you need for good Iai.

Michael

spud

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Not sure which one i like best they all have a different feel about them.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Not sure which one i like best they all have a different feel about them.

A couple look so familiar...what school is it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions