Tsuka wrapping service?

Joeandmich

White Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a tsuka wrapping service? I have an iaito that has a silk wrap that I don't like and would like to change it to leather.

thanks,

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
? Why? I’ve never heard of anyone practicing iai using a leather wrap. Do you find it superior to use? Interesting.

Which part of the world do you live?

There are people locally who do wrap tsuka, again I’ve never heard of them using leather before. Does the cost factor make it logical to do for an iaito?

OP
J

Joeandmich

White Belt
Reaction score
My friend owns both silk and leather wrapped shinken and the leather one is both beautiful and softer on the hand. It's a bit pricier but then it is a $5000 sword by Master Clark made of L6 steel with solid silver fittings. its the single most beautiful sword I have ever seen.

On the other hand my silk iaito wrapping has drasticaly faded over less than one year and looks like crap compared to his leather wrapped shinken.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to reinforce what Ken has said. Why would you want a leather ito? A working sword should really have a high quality cotton ito.

I'd put my opinion forward as saying to leave the silk/leather wraps for display. They'll distort and stain more than than their cotton counterparts.

Oh and as an addendum, getting a tsuka professionally re-wrapped will probably cost almost as much as a new blade :D (a small exaggeration there but not much of one).

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd put my opinion forward as saying to leave the silk/leather wraps for display. They'll distort and stain more than than their cotton counterparts.
I have to disagree with you here. I much prefer silk to cotton, and silk ito will outlast cotton ito. It is more stable and much stronger. It will stain easier than cotton but, since I use all of my swords, stains from use aren't much of an issue for me. I've used leather wraps before and, if they are done correctly, they are very comfortable and afford a far superior grip. However, they are very difficult to do well and most leather wraps will begin shifting eventually since they aren't usually tight enough. They do not last anywhere near as long as silk or cotton either, and will need to be redone after a couple of years of daily use regardless of how well it was wrapped originally.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just goes to show that opinions will vary :D. By far the best ito I've ever had have been cotton. As i said, for me, Silk and leather are not the choice (for me) on a working blade.

Of course, you get what you pay for. The leather on my Paul Chen is garbage - what do you expect from a £200 - £250 sword? Every silk ito I've ever seen has been distorted and stained - to me they are the Alfa Romeo of tsuka wraps (pretty but flawed).

In the end, there is only what an individual prefers but it is ever best when talking to someone who is 'new' not to muddy the waters with too much detail.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Leather does have that nice grip but it will shift. That is not from personal experience but instead for what other people that I know have experienced. I typically use silk but also like cotton as well. Bottom line with either you need to have someone who does this type of work professionally and at a high level. Personally my finest iaito and shinken from Japan are significantly at a higher level based on craftsmanship, etc. The fittings are tight, resilient and will last a long time under normal use. On those two I have silk and am really happy with them in every way. Still I have an older iaito from Japan that is cotton that is excellent as well! In the end you do get what you pay for at least in this particular field. When you first start you may be willing to just get an iaito at a lower price. That is what I recommend to everyone but eventually if you stick with it you will want to upgrade.
icon6.gif

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In the end you do get what you pay for at least in this particular field.
That is so very true for the Japanese sword, that I felt it needed to be repeated! :)

Brandt

White Belt
Reaction score
I do Tsukamaki . I find it really depends on what you want. Silk is the nicest and lastest the longest. Cotton is pratical but can loosen over time leather can be sealed in place looks nice and depending on the leather wears out fast. There are also some nylon options

Latest Discussions