Favorite Elbow Strike

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Drawbacks? Well, a lot of people throw the vertical elbow too high which destroys their structure and makes them vulnerable.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Drawbacks? Well, a lot of people throw the vertical elbow too high which destroys their structure and makes them vulnerable.

Yep. If the elbow is above shoulder level, you could have problems.

OP
Em MacIntosh

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never been good at the tate-empi or rising elbow, IMO, because it's too slow for my tastes. A good elbow but it doesn't feel anatomically efficient to me. It's also tougher to practice on the heavy bag, I find.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
The vertical elbow starts to lose power when it interferes with structure. For me that's when the upper arm is just a few degrees below horizontal or the hand passes the ear. I've found that it can help to think of it as a forward elbow rather than a rising one. When the elbow is moving straight up instead of forward and up you've gone too far. Not that you shouldn't take that shot to the chin if it presents itself. Just know that you're no longer using "as directed".

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A nice elbos combinition is to drive the elbow on an upward angle through the ribs (the attacker should bend down and towards you in response) and then bring the elbow back over the top down to the base of the skull. Should make him not want to fight anymore. :)

OP
Em MacIntosh

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The vertical elbow starts to lose power when it interferes with structure. For me that's when the upper arm is just a few degrees below horizontal or the hand passes the ear. I've found that it can help to think of it as a forward elbow rather than a rising one. When the elbow is moving straight up instead of forward and up you've gone too far. Not that you shouldn't take that shot to the chin if it presents itself. Just know that you're no longer using "as directed".

Thanks. I'll take that into consideration. I like the repeated roundhouse elbow flurry. Especially if I can get set up for a leaping "elbow clothesline".

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
must have suficient skill becauseare not like fist. u need to have enough knowledge about the turuning of the body and foot placemet. the other drawback is range hehhe.

OP
Em MacIntosh

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The prettiest elbow, IMO, is if you have them bent back over your knee and you drop an elbow from as high as you can into their solar plexus. A little movie jitsu but it is a real technique so I imagine there's a time and place...

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
must have suficient skill becauseare not like fist. u need to have enough knowledge about the turuning of the body and foot placemet. the other drawback is range hehhe.

True. In some close quarters the range of an elbow is an advantage.

_Don Flatt

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Since rising elbow has been taken to death...
Palm to back of head/Elbow between the eyes...

Now, the elbow I hate the most is a dropping elbow blocking my kick. Right on the top of the foot. The only thing worse then getting your kick scooped is getting it scooped right into an elbow to the foot or ankle.

I REALLY HATE THAT !!!

… and yet, this is an elbow application that I really wish to master!
(mostly 'cause it hurts so bad)

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since rising elbow has been taken to death...
Palm to back of head/Elbow between the eyes...

Now, the elbow I hate the most is a dropping elbow blocking my kick. Right on the top of the foot. The only thing worse then getting your kick scooped is getting it scooped right into an elbow to the foot or ankle.

I REALLY HATE THAT !!!

… and yet, this is an elbow application that I really wish to master!
(mostly 'cause it hurts so bad)

I like all of the elbows I've seen/ done... If I had to pick one, I'd say what was mentioned above (bold).

Yes, getting elbowed in the shins/ muscle/ etc. really isn't fun!

Reaction score
I have a couple of problems with the reverse elbow, one that it means you have to turn away from the opponent which can leave you open, two because the triceps continue down the arm to the rear of the elbow meaning blows delivered with that part of the elbow could end up doing more harm to yourself as opposed to using the front of the elbow which has a good deal of pure bone.

OP
Em MacIntosh

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a couple of problems with the reverse elbow, one that it means you have to turn away from the opponent which can leave you open, two because the triceps continue down the arm to the rear of the elbow meaning blows delivered with that part of the elbow could end up doing more harm to yourself as opposed to using the front of the elbow which has a good deal of pure bone.

That is an excellent point. For me, I'd use it if I ended up in a position to. I find it's very quick and powerful, preferrably used against softer targets like the chest, throat or stomach but can definitely hurt the jaw too.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is an excellent point. For me, I'd use it if I ended up in a position to. I find it's very quick and powerful, preferrably used against softer targets like the chest, throat or stomach but can definitely hurt the jaw too.
No reason to restrict yourself to hard targets.
Sean