Favorite Elbow Strike

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I love elbows as long as they're mine. I'm sure a lot of you feel the same way. Situation aside, what's you favorite(s). I like the "chicken-wing" elbow cause it's my quickest, though I'm not usually in a position to use it unless grappling. My favorite is similar to a roundhouse-elbow, except it's done as more of a leaping clothesline where I make contact, then follow through with the elbow. Never used it as a first strike but it's a fight ender if it lands. Best set up with a stun as it's a 100% dedicated move. I also like the "sneaky jab" elbow where you intentionally miss with a jab and connect with the elbow instead. How'bout you guys?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love elbows as long as they're mine. I'm sure a lot of you feel the same way. Situation aside, what's you favorite(s). I like the "chicken-wing" elbow cause it's my quickest, though I'm not usually in a position to use it unless grappling. My favorite is similar to a roundhouse-elbow, except it's done as more of a leaping clothesline where I make contact, then follow through with the elbow. Never used it as a first strike but it's a fight ender if it lands. Best set up with a stun as it's a 100% dedicated move. I also like the "sneaky jab" elbow where you intentionally miss with a jab and connect with the elbow instead. How'bout you guys?
Thrusting inward.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
One I'm NOT getting hit with...That's my favorite...Ha HA HAAAA!!!

I kill me.....here all week!!!!!!!!!!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Elbows and knees are the big guns of our system. They're in just about everything we do, and whenver we practice techniques or entries it's implicitly assumed that whatever we do with the basic format will be liberally sprinkled with them.

Reaction score
snap, long range, upward, downward, horizontal, pure vertical - all good, depends on the situation. Best use? for welcoming a punch right onto the tip.

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
reverse elbow, good for someone sneaking behind u, but man that ong bak guy show a lot of elbow technique and some pretty out there too, hehhehe wish i can do em but no chance

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm kinda short so i'm always looking for an oppertunity to get in close and use my elbows. Uppercut elbows are great. The ba gua zhang i am learning at the moment has a form called "The old eight elbows"... colliding, scooping, smashing, splitting, framing, winding, chopping (i think?) and double bracing. I'm still sussing out all the apps for that lot...

OP
Em MacIntosh

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's totally new to me. All I know about bagua zhang is that it's northern-chinese, translated it means something like "eight star path or eight fold path", it's internal and I think it has a lot to do with multiple attackers. The "old eight elbows" sounds pretty good to me. Keep it up.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Elbows and knees are the big guns of our system. They're in just about everything we do, and whenver we practice techniques or entries it's implicitly assumed that whatever we do with the basic format will be liberally sprinkled with them.

Bingo. Same here.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That's totally new to me. All I know about bagua zhang is that it's northern-chinese, translated it means something like "eight star path or eight fold path", it's internal and I think it has a lot to do with multiple attackers. The "old eight elbows" sounds pretty good to me. Keep it up.

Thanks matey!
icon7.gif
I've always heard it translated as "eight trigrams boxing" myself.

Actually, going back over my notes, i've stuffed up the names of the old elbows set... it's colliding, scooping, crossing, covering, framing, winding, returning body piercing and double bracing. Got the names kinda mixed up with another set... apols.
One of the interesting thing i've noticed about this set btw is that it is more often the waist (and footwork of course) that does the majority of the attack, which very little force coming from the shoulder. Also, the defending arm is often also used as a counterweight to lend more oomph to the strike.

OP
Em MacIntosh

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Indeed, kung fu can be quite the mace and chain. Hands are for gripping. I find elbows to be a much more natural weapon than hand strikes. Another one I like for the power (use on a soft or soft-ish target like the ribs) forearm as if you were doing a ridge-hand. I guess it can qualify as an elbow.

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
but gotta be careful when using elbow, it is lethal , u can crack some ribs or skull more easily with it.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
but gotta be careful when using elbow, it is lethal , u can crack some ribs or skull more easily with it.

Well, umm, yes. That's why we use them. It beats breaking your hand on someone's head.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Indeed, kung fu can be quite the mace and chain. Hands are for gripping. I find elbows to be a much more natural weapon than hand strikes. Another one I like for the power (use on a soft or soft-ish target like the ribs) forearm as if you were doing a ridge-hand. I guess it can qualify as an elbow.

I find the elbow to be a great weapon too. We have these folding or collapsing techniques whereby a hand strike is followed with an elbow with the same arm, like palm strike then elbow; or palm strike, palm strike (other hand), then elbow (either side). Ribs are a great target but I also like the neck, back of the skull, and the jaw.