Falling

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many techniques that are found in the various systems out there, involve taking someone to the ground. This can be done by throwing or sweeping the person.

A beginner to the arts should IMO learn how to fall/land properly before they actually get taken down.

How many schools/instructors out there cover this skill prior to teaching techniques that involve takedowns? How do you go about giving this instruction?

For me, when I'd start teaching the basics, I'd start off by already having the student on the mat, laying down in the proper position. From that point, once they're familiar with how they should be landing, I'd have them start from a squatting position. This method keeps them closer to the ground. From there, they'd work on the backward or forward fall. Once they begin to feel confident, I'd gradually have them increase their height, eventually being able to do this from a standing position.

Mike

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
My karate, kickboxing and BJJ schools all do extensive breakfall practice. Usually we are taught starting from a crouch position to executing front, back or side breakfalls. After we understand how to fall properly and have done these we do them from standing.

Even years into these arts, we still do breakfall drills, it isn't just for beginners.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't practice falls. Because we do practice take downs, we are only able to do them slowly with control. Learning control of course is a good thing, but I'm afraid that it's an accident waiting to happen. I was hurt pretty badly once from falling wrong, and have never forgotten it. It's not uncommon for a bad fall to cause more damage than the strike that caused it.

Kudos to you, Mike.

The Lorax

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think most Aikido schools teach falling in the first few classes. No one would come back if we just threw them on their heads without showing them how to roll or backfall. After you get used to that, then they introduce breakfalls.

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We teach breakfalls right from white belt, and even the youngest kids are drilled on it. We start from knees, then a squat, then almost standing, then a full stand. For back breakfalls we will also practice them off a person on the ground on all fours (you sit on their back, and fall backwards) for a good middle height. We start every grappling class with a review (once a week)
And yet still...they are my weakest point. But i'm getting there.

jgrimm01

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Aqua4ever said:
We teach breakfalls right from white belt, and even the youngest kids are drilled on it. We start from knees, then a squat, then almost standing, then a full stand. For back breakfalls we will also practice them off a person on the ground on all fours (you sit on their back, and fall backwards) for a good middle height. We start every grappling class with a review (once a week)
And yet still...they are my weakest point. But i'm getting there.

Ditto here...knowing how to properly fall is imperative...not teaching that and then turning around and teaching takedowns is an accident waiting to happen...broken elbows, dislocations, its all gonna happen sooner or later when you fell someone that doesn't know how to properly protect themselves as they fall...

J

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
breakfall drills aren't important just for class.

think about it. how many times a year do you get in a fight? how many times a year do you trip, stumble, fall, wreck your bike....

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:

think about it. how many times a year do you get in a fight? how many times a year do you trip, stumble, fall, wreck your bike....

Too true! I've never used my breakfalls in fights, but I've used them countless times because of ice or wet floors.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:

Yep - took a spill on the bicycle recently and thank goodness I learned how to fall correctly - a bruise and slight scrape could have been much worse.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I started mountain biking, so knowing how to breakfall is a good thing ;) I remember years ago taking a bad spill on a mountain bike on a wet surfice (I didn't know how to fall then). That hurt!

Anyways, in TSD we learned how to fall from the start. We did a lot of take downs. So this was very important. It helped when I took Judo. We did A LOT of breakfall practice. Now in Jujitsu as well. Well, not as much as my teacher normally would, but he knows I can fall, so he does breakfall practice once every two weeks or so (I take JJ once a week). In TKD, there's some that know how to fall (either from other styles or learned on their own, or I taught them). But they don't teach breakfalls like they should. So, I try to show people when I can.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
We run one group class night every two months or so, where all we do is work on falls. In our curriculum, there really aren't any throws until purple so this is minimally adequate.

For those just learning to fall, I teach forward and back falls from the low squat as well as the forward and backward roll. As their comfort level increases, so does the height of their butt. :) I teach the sidefall from a standing position, cross one leg and sit out to that side.

Usually from the first class I can get a student comfortable with the forward roll from a standing position, sidefall from standing, backfall from the squat, and forward fall from the knees.

Lamont

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
We teach falling from the start because only after a student has had practice falling do we teach throws and take-downs.

Miles

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Eternal Beginner said:
Even years into these arts, we still do breakfall drills, it isn't just for beginners.

Agreed! This is something that benefits everyone, beginner thru advanced. What amazes me, is that I've seen many upper ranked people get taken down, and I hear BANG, as their elbow crashes into the floor, or they just fall like a sack of potatoes.

Mike

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gemini said:
We don't practice falls. Because we do practice take downs, we are only able to do them slowly with control. Learning control of course is a good thing, but I'm afraid that it's an accident waiting to happen. I was hurt pretty badly once from falling wrong, and have never forgotten it. It's not uncommon for a bad fall to cause more damage than the strike that caused it.

Kudos to you, Mike.

May be a good idea to dedicate half a class towards falling drills. In the long run, it may save someone from a potential serious injury.

Mike

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
May be a good idea to dedicate half a class towards falling drills. In the long run, it may save someone from a potential serious injury.

Mike

Yea, like me! Unfortunately, it's not my call, but I most certainly agree with all of you and maybe it's time to turn up the heat. Thanks!

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I start all brand new students with Ukemi from their very first day in the dojo.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I still see falling is taught in the beginning. Question: Has anyone ever used the falling techniques for real, in real encounters? I guess what I'm asking is should falling still be taught? Even in dojo's, if you think about it, do you fall that way? or do you just fall.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
times i've fallen and avoided (or lessened) injury because of martial arts training:

three bike crashes, a mosh pit, getting shoved in a minor scuffle, tripping on a curb...and that's just what i can think of off the top.

as i mentioned earlier in this thread, breakfalls are one of the most important thing you can learn. normal people fight seldom (if at all), but we all fall down.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have slipped on ice and fallen bad but the good fall prevented injury. Plus I trip on things all the time so it has helped there also.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, For falls/rolls we practice forward and backwards, for beginners start a low squats (judo style) forwards and backward. Then as your skills develop..start from standing position, then running position, then over people who are kneeling down.(one-three). When we can get mats.

We also practice takedown style and cover-up when taking down...

Judo style falling is one of the best things to learn. If your school do not practice this....find someone to teach you....and practice all the time.

We do it on the hard floors of the school cafe. ........Aloha