"Always be able to kill your students,"

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
kinda sad, but i like the underlying thought.

as teachers, we can never just rest on our laurels. we need to train and stay in good form all the time.

nothing sadder than a fat, slow sensei still cashing in on success he had five years and fifty pounds ago.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Taken out of context the statement is worse than meaningless, it's a bit of sensationalist garbage used to sell copies.

Who was the translator? What did Hatsumi actually say? What was the class about that day?

He could have been talking about fitness. Or he could have been talking about awareness. Or the willingness to act. Or he could have been talking about how well you must know a technique before teaching it. If you know something so well that you can always kill any student you're teaching that movement, then you know it well enough to teach.

The article makes me laugh too, because it's as much a part of the "goofy caricatures" as anything else in pop culture.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rutherford said:
Taken out of context the statement is worse than meaningless, it's a bit of sensationalist garbage used to sell copies.

Who was the translator? What did Hatsumi actually say? What was the class about that day?

He could have been talking about fitness. Or he could have been talking about awareness. Or the willingness to act. Or he could have been talking about how well you must know a technique before teaching it. If you know something so well that you can always kill any student you're teaching that movement, then you know it well enough to teach.

The article makes me laugh too, because it's as much a part of the "goofy caricatures" as anything else in pop culture.
It could also mean know more than your student. It seems that I remember a quote from him where this phrase was attached to a bigger quote where he talked about not revealing everything you know to your students. To me the reason is not totally clear, but I am pretty sure it isn't what it appears to be. Alot can be lost in translation.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
DAmn....Note to self...Wear l33t ninja armor when in Japan doing a seminar.

s+0p +h3 4oL sp33k ... 1+s s2p1d

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow: "... It seems that I remember a quote from him where this phrase was attached to a bigger quote where he talked about not revealing everything you know to your students. ..."

I think it was "only teach half of what you know."

The other half they have to learn on their own - would be my interpretation.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
just the quote (always be able to kill your students) seems a little, flawed. something my sensei says every so often "my job is to make you a better martial artist then me".

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shizen Shigoku said:
I think it was "only teach half of what you know."

The other half they have to learn on their own - would be my interpretation.

That is my interpretation as well.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, that was interesting. I just wanna have fun.......what ever happened to having fun?