Failed Testings and Demotions

T

TheBattousai

Just my 2 cents:
Failing is something that happens at every good school (not a mcdojo). When people just don't commit themselves, they are doomed to failure in more things than just the MA. Demotions are different, I concur with most here on that they shouldn't have their rank taken away. But, I've heard of there "title" being taken away (never seen though), like the sensai or the kyoshi titles, but they can earn it back and there still whatever rank they are (i.e. Renshi at 4th bb, title taken or dropped to Sensai, but they are still 4th bb). The possibility of being kicked out of the school and no longer being recognized by the school is there, but only if something really bad was to have been done.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If a demotion were to actually take place, especially for someone who is at the instructor level, then it is probably due to politics. I would suggest that the scrutinized instructor should probably read the writing on the wall and gracefully bow out before this happens. Agree to mutually sever ties between the instructor and the school/parent organization, and let the instructor go is own way. He keeps his rank because nobody can take away what he has learned and the skills he has developed, but he also needs to be honest with future students in telling them that he is no longer a member of that school/organization.

At the same time, I think it would be acceptable to tell future students that he trained with XX school or organization, and received rank from them, but he has since severed all ties and has no relationship with them. Honesty all the way around, as well as recognizing and accepting the events of the past is appropriate. There is no reason to pretend that the instructor did NOT get his training and rank thru the school or organization.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm a little late chiming in here, but I have seen two students get promoted and then have that rank stripped in the same day.

Duing a belt test, two blue belts were testing for red. Part of the test was of course, sparring. These two were opponents and were repeatedly warned by the testing board to watch their control and demonstrate the ability to control techniques up to par with their rank. After the 3rd warning they were asked to sit down. At the end of the test, they were asked to stand where they were awarded their red belts and then immediately had them stripped for not listening to the board and not demonstrating control.

Quite humbling for both parties. In true MA spirit, these guys took the criticism to heart and worked especially hard before the next test, and passed that one with no issues.

Mr.Rooster

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Failed testings? If you mean testing and not being promoted afterwards as a failed test I think that in itself is incorrect.
If we are talking martial testing, this ought to be looked at and told to the student testing that is a learning experience for them and a teaching experience for you and/or whomever else. I think it's better to say they ought to test again because you have seen them do better in class time and you want to see that kind of proficiency for the test.

As for a person being shown the door, I think that ought to only be for dangerous situations, not as a matter of not feeling like dealing with someone who may be experiencing growing pains. Even we adult's have platau's we reach and/or ruts that we get stuck in. Part of mastery is working through that/those times successfully. I don't think we should be too quick to give up on a person/student and then expext them to trust/believe in us at the same time. We, as Instructor's ought to lead by example more and show even more tolerance then a student we are supposedly trying to teach the same character intangibles to. This also goes for peers, instead of bad mouthing a person behind there back or saying they are not putting forth the effort or whatever other negative scenario's you can think of that you may have observed/experienced in the dojo/dojang, try to always remember that we are all unique human beings, and we are unique for a reason. Also, until you walk a mile in another's shoes, you have no idea what that person is going through so try to help and be supportive, but don't be too quick to judge or give up on a person just because you don't feel like dealing with it. This is one of those things where I think your actions could speak louder then your words. Remember, like I try to do, the way we act and react to things, is it accurate with the way we are trying to teach our student's as we ought to not be asking the student's to do something we can't or won't do oursleves.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For us, the true test for requirement material is done in the pre-test. The test is a ceremony, a chance for the student to show their strengths, and is a great diagnostic tool for the instructors to see if our program is working. If students don't do well on a test then it means we need improvement in our curriculum and / or teaching methods. On occaision if a student didn't do well, we would discuss with the student what needs improvement and then meet with them again in 2 weeks so they can re-do the requirements that weren't performed well in order to keep their rank.
While experience and knowledge cannot be taken away, we do reserve the right to cease to recognize someones ranking if they abuse what they have been taught. This is only a last resort. Good communication up front prevents most problems. Just the knowledge that ranking may be taken away has prevented problems.
This has worked for us but we are still always learning better ways and change is eternal! :0)
Good previous posts!

Latest Discussions