Exotic Arts

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Well there's this club my friends and I sometimes like to visit (have to be 18 to get in), with these dancers you see...

Oh wait! You mean Exotic Martial Arts, didn't you?

I suppose I could consider Capoeira to be exotic, since it's different than most other martial arts I know of. But by the same token, there are many Chinese martial arts I would also have to consider exotic. Exotic is a pretty relative term.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zepp said:
Well there's this club my friends and I sometimes like to visit (have to be 18 to get in), with these dancers you see...

Oh wait! You mean Exotic Martial Arts, didn't you?

I suppose I could consider Capoeira to be exotic, since it's different than most other martial arts I know of. But by the same token, there are many Chinese martial arts I would also have to consider exotic. Exotic is a pretty relative term.
T-back ryu? :drink2tha

D.

B

Bigodinho

I've practiced capoeira for the last 5 years. I've heard it called everything from exotic to sexy to just plain weird. Even Halle Berry described it as sexy. Sexy, huh?

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bigodinho said:
I've practiced capoeira for the last 5 years. I've heard it called everything from exotic to sexy to just plain weird. Even Halle Berry described it as sexy. Sexy, huh?
she would know!:ladysman:

C

Chrono

Enson said:
i would think capoeira is pretty exotic to me.
I agree that capoeita is quite exotic. Of course, as mentioned before, that's mainly because it's different.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Exotic = useless in a fight. And being that is the main reason most people join MA is to be able to defend themselves, I dont see the point. Unless your trying to be a showman. But know there is a big difference between showmanship and what works in a real fight. My advice, dont waste your time.

Baoquan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
Exotic = useless in a fight. And being that is the main reason most people join MA is to be able to defend themselves, I dont see the point. Unless your trying to be a showman. But know there is a big difference between showmanship and what works in a real fight. My advice, dont waste your time.

How so?? It *may* be true that some "exotic" arts are less than practicable, but its not *necessary*. Besides, i think you'll agree there ismore to MA than fighting. There are arts that are worthwhile studying as no more than *art*, in the "Gosh that's purty to look at" sense.

I've also witnessed a Tai Chi Chuan practitioner whoop *** on MT guy in a demo. It was touchy-touchy only, no power, but he suitably demostrated techs that he convinced me he could use...

H

Hanzo04

choy li fut is very a very beautiful and exotic art. but from what i've seen and heard it works.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Exotic? as in:

Main Entry: 1ex·ot·ic
Pronunciation: ig-'zä-tik
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin exoticus, from Greek exOtikos, from exO
1 : introduced from another country : not native to the place where found
2 archaic : [size=-1]FOREIGN[/size], [size=-1]ALIEN[/size]
3 : strikingly, excitingly, or mysteriously different or unusual
4 : of or relating to striptease <exotic dancing>
- ex·ot·i·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb
- ex·ot·ic·ness /-tik-n&s/ noun

If #1? then:
Karate, Judo, Kung fu, Kempo, Ninjutsu, etc

If #2? then it depends on taste.

If simply, "not the norm" then I like :Luta Livre (BJJ's rival art), and Sayoc Kali whip material.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:

Wow, that is a pretty hefty statement. First of all I agree with Baoquan, each art needs to be examined on effectivness individually, but each art was evolved in it's own environment, which usually isn't they onw we are currently in. Second, again to expand on Baoquan's idea, martial arts aren't just about fighting, that is self defense, and besides, not all self defense is "fighting".

To the first point, martial arts that some see today as performance arts, like Capoeira, would be ideal if you are in a situation where your hands are bound or otherwise inactive. From what I know of it, it was partially evolved with that in mind. Things like the FMAs are evolved from the abundance of machetes, knives and other weapons being handy in the earlier Philippine Isles. Today, in the US weapons like that aren't as easily accessable, but that doesn't mean the application isn't still effective if you were in any situation where that type of weapon were handy, or if you are good at the art you can translate it in to any situation weapon or not.

To the second point, you speak of fight like the classic "duel" definition of one. That isn't such a bad defintion if that is the type of confrontation you are most likely to see, but it is limiting when looking at all the situations martial arts are built for, like multiple opponents, varying terrain, odd positioning or balance, weapons, awarness, legal restrictions, goal of the confrontation, friendly competition, firearms/distance weapons, artistic expression, suprise attacks, military applications, poison, physical fitness, historical relation, plain old fashioned enjoyment, ect., the list goes on and on. As always practice for the aspect you are looking for.

B

Bigodinho

To the first point, martial arts that some see today as performance arts, like Capoeira, would be ideal if you are in a situation where your hands are bound or otherwise inactive. From what I know of it, it was partially evolved with that in mind.
You are partially correct. The traditional form of capoeira, not the flashy style you see today, was created by slaves as a weapon for liberation. It was also primarily a foot martial art, foot sweeps, kicks, and take downs, where you would not need your hands. And if you keep in mind that many slaves were tied up, then yes, they could still defend themselves in those situations.
To the second point, you speak of fight like the classic "duel" definition of one. That isn't such a bad defintion if that is the type of confrontation you are most likely to see, but it is limiting when looking at all the situations martial arts are built for, like multiple opponents, varying terrain, odd positioning or balance, weapons, awarness, legal restrictions, goal of the confrontation, friendly competition, firearms/distance weapons, artistic expression, suprise attacks, military applications, poison, physical fitness, historical relation, plain old fashioned enjoyment, ect., the list goes on and on. As always practice for the aspect you are looking for.
I agree with you 100%.

Latest Discussions