Exercise after a illness

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What would most of you lady's and gentlemem do after a heart attack to get back in shape. First off I know check with the doctors and go from there. I will do that 1st. Just would like to hear from the mases more cardio,wieghts, a mixture of both. I need to drop 25 to 40 pounds in about three months. I'm not suppose to use diet pills so they are out. has anybody used those sweet suits the plastics one's and if so do they work. looking for alternatives.
Thank ahead of time please real answer.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi, Terry.

I would recommend against the plastic sweat suits because you can easily become dehydrated with them.

When you talk to doc and stuff, you might ask about a specific diet that some doctors put their heart patients on to lose weight fairly quickly before heart surgery. I went on it just to lose weight and it worked quite well - it's the only thing I changed at the time, too (bad knee).

I would consider, in your situation, tai chi (you really can sweat and controlled breathing is good for you also), and seated exercises to begin with. Swimming is good - there's water aerobics, that works well - aerobics in a pool. My sister in law lost 50 pounds and gradually brought her blood pressure down with that.

Walk, walk, walk. Build up to it, of course. And I think I remember you typing once that you've always ate junk food. Time to change your lifestyle if you haven't already.

I know you'll consult your doctor and a couple things I said were obvious. My mom has congestive heart failure and we talked with her cardiologist about all of these things, so you might want to do the same.

Sincere regards.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shesulsa, you are right about junk food and they are off totally. iown my own school in Arlington Tx. would you or anybody else know a good Tai chi instructor in the area. You have given some good advice about swimming arobics I'll look into that i can see myself around pretty woman all day. that will make the wife happy! Ha, Ha! Thanks and God Bless

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Terry,
Most of weight comes off from diet change. Alot of the South Beach (at Walmart btw) type of food is great. It is written by a heart doctor. Small portions, use brown rice, couscous, no pasta, no potatoes. Nothing fried, only sauteed in tablespoon or two of canola oil. Use olive oil-on salads-its good for your heart-good fat which helps arteries. SB takes preparation though to be interesting. Eggbeaters with veggies like green pepper and onion,mushrooms in the morning-little mozzarella cheese. Low carb bread always-check them out, some taste like cardboard, some are really good. No sugar- jam. V8, not much or seldom juice, little fruit, bananas are high in potassium, but are real sweet so highly caloric. Lean meat, chicken breast-broiled, baked, sauteed. Lean beef-like sirloin-4 oz., no hamburger, no fried fish but eat deep sea fish halibut, roughy, swordfish, salmon, can't remember them all... Limit salt, don't know what your doc says about coffee, that would be the worst for me to give up. But now I drink two mugs in the morning and use Splenda-sugar substitute, non-fat creamer and decaf instant coffee. Limit milk-lactose is a sugar, change it for mozzarella or non-fat, low fat cheese. Vegetables morning, noon and night, think of everything else as fringe condiments.

Don't follow South Beach book, the first two weeks though, right now. Too hard on the body. Its low carb but the carbs are coming from vegetables and not simple sugars and its explained in the book but it starts the process where the body takes the fat out of cells and its more difficult at first to adjust. Made me have a spinny feeling, not dizzy but not my energy level either. But I managed to work out, barely. Google South Beach Diet and read all about it.

My husband went on it as well, and lost more than me, 40 to his 50 lbs. But you need to talk to your doctor first about it and it helps to have a food preparer as it is some work to prepare salads. Now they say its all about calories but vegetables have the lowest calories--bread, pasta, sugar the most. So I think it is the same. Everything I like. ;)

Walk, walk walk. Actually walking every day for 30 minutes to start or whatever your doctor says. My husband just walked an hour a day. Slow and steady burns more fat easily for that hour. Cardio does not-unless you do it for the same time-much harder! Get a treadmill or find a health club with a treadmill or cross trainer. My husband found a syndicated health club open 24-7 at @25 a month. I have found TKD maintains me but I dont lose and I was going 8+ times a week at red belt and still didn't lose.

You need a complete lifestyle change--and it starts and continues one day at a time, just remember that, keep a log and keep on track. Your life and your family depends on it. If I can answer any questions you may have, I will certainly try or look for the answers. TW

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Terry,
Most of weight comes off from diet change. Alot of the South Beach (at Walmart btw) type of food is great. It is written by a heart doctor. Small portions, use brown rice, couscous, no pasta, no potatoes. Nothing fried, only sauteed in tablespoon or two of canola oil. Use olive oil-on salads-its good for your heart-good fat which helps arteries. SB takes preparation though to be interesting. Eggbeaters with veggies like green pepper and onion,mushrooms in the morning-little mozzarella cheese. Low carb bread always-check them out, some taste like cardboard, some are really good. No sugar- jam. V8, not much or seldom juice, little fruit, bananas are high in potassium, but are real sweet so highly caloric. Lean meat, chicken breast-broiled, baked, sauteed. Lean beef-like sirloin-4 oz., no hamburger, no fried fish but eat deep sea fish halibut, roughy, swordfish, salmon, can't remember them all... Limit salt, don't know what your doc says about coffee, that would be the worst for me to give up. But now I drink two mugs in the morning and use Splenda-sugar substitute, non-fat creamer and decaf instant coffee. Limit milk-lactose is a sugar, change it for mozzarella or non-fat, low fat cheese. Vegetables morning, noon and night, think of everything else as fringe condiments.

Don't follow South Beach book, the first two weeks though, right now. Too hard on the body. Its low carb but the carbs are coming from vegetables and not simple sugars and its explained in the book but it starts the process where the body takes the fat out of cells and its more difficult at first to adjust. Made me have a spinny feeling, not dizzy but not my energy level either. But I managed to work out, barely. Google South Beach Diet and read all about it.

My husband went on it as well, and lost more than me, 40 to his 50 lbs. But you need to talk to your doctor first about it and it helps to have a food preparer as it is some work to prepare salads. Now they say its all about calories but vegetables have the lowest calories--bread, pasta, sugar the most. So I think it is the same. Everything I like. ;)

Walk, walk walk. Actually walking every day for 30 minutes to start or whatever your doctor says. My husband just walked an hour a day. Slow and steady burns more fat easily for that hour. Cardio does not-unless you do it for the same time-much harder! Get a treadmill or find a health club with a treadmill or cross trainer. My husband found a syndicated health club open 24-7 at @25 a month. I have found TKD maintains me but I dont lose and I was going 8+ times a week at red belt and still didn't lose.

You need a complete lifestyle change--and it starts and continues one day at a time, just remember that, keep a log and keep on track. Your life and your family depends on it. If I can answer any questions you may have, I will certainly try or look for the answers. TW
TW we been though some times together. I'm so glad you finally got your second you deserve this for you are one tremendous woman. I'll talk to the dr. about SB and see what he say's about it. The junk food is gone I hate to give up fried Chicken but I'll diffently cut back to once a month and I always eat my veggies grew up on a farm in the summer with my nanie Great Grandmother. my wife will be kicking me in the butt to stay on the diet, you know I have to be around for my 3 son's some body has to train them right.Thanks for everything and GOD BLESS YOU AND AMERICA.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know you will. :asian: TW

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Diet will certainly play a big part as well as the cardio/weight lifting. When it comes to that though, I'd have the doctor or someone at your gym set you up with a program. Considering that the heart was put under a huge amount of stress, you want to make sure that you're starting off slowly.

As for the plastic suits...I would also not suggest that. IMO, for anyone to drop that much weight in that short amount of time is not too healthy.

Mike

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Having a father with this situation, I would suggest changes in diet and slight exercise. Nothing to harsh either way in the beginning.