Escrima question

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well with a bit of webfu I discovered the following, but I have no idea what any of it really means

School one is apparently
1) Diestro Escrima

School 2 is both
1) Sayoc Kali
2) Espada y daga Kali

I pretty much got a handle on what Sayoc is but what are the other two (Diestro and Espada y daga) and does it matter?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well with a bit of webfu I discovered the following, but I have no idea what any of it really means

School one is apparently
1) Diestro Escrima

School 2 is both
1) Sayoc Kali
2) Espada y daga Kali

I pretty much got a handle on what Sayoc is but what are the other two (Diestro and Espada y daga) and does it matter?

Never heard of Diestro escrima. Espada y daga...stick and knife techs. in the Modern Arnis system. Are they also found within other arts? I'm sure. Is it an art all to itself? If it is, I've never heard of it.

To clarify a bit more...the espada y daga is where the practitioner has both a stick and blade in their hands at the same time.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Never heard of Diestro escrima. Espada y daga...stick and knife techs. in the Modern Arnis system. Are they also found within other arts? I'm sure. Is it an art all to itself? If it is, I've never heard of it.

To clarify a bit more...the espada y daga is where the practitioner has both a stick and blade in their hands at the same time.

Could be my lack of knowledge on the subject talking

It was what I saw posted on the websites and it could be just a form within the system now that I think about it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

School one is apparently
1) Diestro Escrima

School 2 is both
1) Sayoc Kali
2) Espada y daga Kali

In FMA there's a lot of stuff out there that nobody's ever heard of. Some good, some not so good. I don't know about "Diestro Escrima". Diestro means right-handed in Spanish, as opposed to Zurdo or "lefty"(sur = south, applied here as in "southpaw"), also it implies "dextrous" or skilled, and could just as easily be a family surname. Now please go visit them and report back and tell us about it!

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Could be my lack of knowledge on the subject talking

It was what I saw posted on the websites and it could be just a form within the system now that I think about it.

"Espada y daga" is literally "sword and dagger" (from the Spanish). Though it usually refers to stick and dagger, in my experience. And can even be used more broadly than that, to describe a pairing of one longer weapon with one shorter one (i.e., literally a sword and a dagger, a stick and a dagger, or a regular-length stick and a shorter stick).

There are probably people who specialize in espada y daga, treating it (for all intents and purposes) as a style. But it's also often presented as a subset of a larger style. In Doce Pares, for instance, we learned espada y daga after double stick ("doble baston"). I understand that the San Miguel variant on Doce Pares (and its proponent GM Diony Canete) is particularly big on espada y daga.

Stuart

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK... I got there....kinda sorta.

I called to make sure the class was still on the same day at the same time.

I let the teacher know I was coming and he said "Great"

I got there... and it was closed.

I waited for about 30 minutes and no one showed up so I left.

I am going to contact them today to see what happened.

There is another school but I will have to wait to go check that out. They will not let you watch but they will give you a couple free classes. However based on what I see on YouTube I do not think my knee could take a class at this point so it will have to wait a couple of months.

The school that was closed is a bit of a conglomerate of styles. There are multiple teachers teaching multiple styles here. That is not to say it is bad, just that it is one of many styles taught.

The second school focuses only on Filipino styles Escrima and Muay Thai.

Latest Discussions