Escape from Headlock

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are your recommendations for techniques to use to escape from a basic headlock? I have learned several over the course of my MA career, but all of them left a little to be desired. One would only work against a compliant partner or one smaller than yourself, one relied upon your access to vital striking points (likely, given your position, but NOT a given), and the third was untestable.What are some of your recommendations for escaping from a headlock?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is there any particular type of headlock that you are looking to get out of? There are lots of "basic" headlocks in our system.

Generally, I try to keep the following principles in mind.

1. Keep the chin down and stop the choke.
2. Move your body so it becomes hard for them to apply any leverage.
3. From here one can use the hands to stop them from completing the structure for the choke or one can use a series of strikes/pinches/bites to make the opponent let go of that structure.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
3. From here one can use the hands to stop them from completing the structure for the choke or one can use a series of strikes/pinches/bites to make the opponent let go of that structure.

I'm gonna go with this... it sounds a lot like our own philosphy in the 'Kan.

Remember that to successfully apply any technique an opponent needs a certain positioning, and space. If you can disrupt that, and take away the positioning and space they need, you can disrupt the technique. Granted, thats not as easy as it sounds, but when you can "see" the space around you and know how the mechanicas of the attack work, you should be able to successfully counter the techniques used on you that way... be they locks, throws, chokes, etc...

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Easiest is to turn into it and slip out as the headlock is applied. If they're reaching across your shoulders left to right to wrap around, you want to turn to your left. Make sure not to disrupt your balance as you do this and use your footwork to move into a strong position, or you're just gonna get knocked down and you'll be lucky to pull guard.

If it's almost too late, dropping your weight and pulling against their stance's weak points can make you enough space to slip out.

Remember that you can use your whole body to disrupt their space and balance. This could mean dropping your hips and pulling them forward, sweeping their legs, rolling your shoulders to throw them across . . . possibilities are endless. You need to work these to get to know what will work and what won't.

For striking to break the hold, the groin and instep are good targets. There's lots more, and your art will have shown you its prefered points. But access to any of these is going to vary a lot depending on the setup. Headlocks can be applied by a person in front of you, behind you, beside you, on the ground, kneeling, etc. Don't get caught up on trying to reach any particular target. Just take them as they come.

You also might have some luck with small joint breaks if you can get ahold of a finger.

Just remember to relax and don't fight the lock itself. If it's on right, then fighting it with your neck is just gonna hurt. Fight the fighter. Break him, and you don't have to worry about the lock.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Is there any particular type of headlock that you are looking to get out of? There are lots of "basic" headlocks in our system.

That is a good start! Also, it relies on you acting as soon as the attack happens. Waiting too long can put you in an ever increasing bad position.

For #2, I would suggest dropping the hips into their space. They need a stable base to make it work. By dropping your hips into their space you change the shape of the attack. Again timing is important. This is but a snapshot of a single movement. While being low you can use your shoulders and chin to keep their arm there and rotate around your hips (never giving the space back, NOT rotating out), and keeping the pressure on them using you shoulders and chin you can put them in a very nice lock and torque them up, meanwhile your hands are free to do eye gouges, pinches, bites, boshi to the ribs, etc.

Of course it is easier to show than say.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
depending on your positioning you may be able to attack the back of his knee or even his hand
keeping the head turnd and slipping out with pressure on his elbow is alway a good thing to try

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:

Bigshadow said:
That is a good start! Also, it relies on you acting as soon as the attack happens. Waiting too long can put you in an ever increasing bad position.

For #2, I would suggest dropping the hips into their space. They need a stable base to make it work. By dropping your hips into their space you change the shape of the attack. Again timing is important. This is but a snapshot of a single movement. While being low you can use your shoulders and chin to keep their arm there and rotate around your hips (never giving the space back, NOT rotating out), and keeping the pressure on them using you shoulders and chin you can put them in a very nice lock and torque them up, meanwhile your hands are free to do eye gouges, pinches, bites, boshi to the ribs, etc.

Of course it is easier to show than say.

I am not exactly sure what a basic headlock is, but I agree with what has been said by upnorthkyosa and Bigshadow

Also I might add, I'm going back a few years (>20) here to Jujitsu

But if possible simply grab the person, that has you in the head lock, by any available pinky finger and bend it. In a direction that it is not meant to go

Depending on your position, there may also be a knee or instep to step on.

There are also some fairly painful Qin Na points on either side of the elbow too.

Generally if you cause them great pain they let go.

However in a sparing situation things are different, obviously you do not want to maim your fellow martial artist.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pinching...

My instructor was demonstrating and asked me to apply a headlock, I wasn't expecting it at all and he almost dropped me with a simple pinch on my upper thigh. The key is to get as little skin as possible.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a old-style boxing technique (which does work against resistance)

Reach arounf behind them and grab there other arm at the elbow, this keeps you from getting punched. Get your hips under you and stand up into it, pulling on the arm at the same time, Keep your head up and you should stretch them out, ideally bringing them right up on there toes. there head locking arm is now trapped around your head and because they are stretched out body shots are going to go over well :)

Another simple option - Reach =up and grab there shoulder with your inside arm, take a wide base and sit down on your outside foot pulling them down as well.

There really are a lot of options if you get caught in a basic headlock,

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
bignick said:
Pinching...

My instructor was demonstrating and asked me to apply a headlock, I wasn't expecting it at all and he almost dropped me with a simple pinch on my upper thigh. The key is to get as little skin as possible.

The only danger there is it doesn't work on everyone. Ended up getting pinched by everyone in class one day when I didn't react to that one... Got kinda bruised, but I never felt anything more painful than a standard pinch, which was easy enough to ignore and maintain the hold.

A simple one I like is to just push on the back of their knee, which usually disrupts their balance enough that they forget they're supposed to be holding on...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Marginal said:
A simple one I like is to just push on the back of their knee, which usually disrupts their balance enough that they forget they're supposed to be holding on...

That was another old Jujitsu one, simplicity is always best in real life situations.

There was more to it that had to do with falling backwards with the head-locker, but I cannot remember the entire move.

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hit whatever vital area you can...pinch nerves...do what you have to do!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
I am not exactly sure what a basic headlock is,
Me either, but when I think of a headlock, I am thinking the person really knows how to apply one and will have me off balance backwards and is cranking it on. Not one of these you see in a magazine or a demo where they just step up behind you and try a headlock without taking balance. Someone who is skilled is going to get a headlock where the victim has very little or no balance. Having that done to you, it will feel pretty agressive and shocking. So it is important to keep a clear mind.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:

Looks like a good plan. I agree with BigShadow, the defense should begin as soon as possible. It may also be a good idea to use your leg to check the attackers leg. This will momentarily disrupt his balance giving you a chance to begin a counter.

I like the idea of a pinch. The back of the leg as well as the inner thigh provide some great areas for this.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Here's a old-style boxing technique (which does work against resistance)

Reach arounf behind them and grab there other arm at the elbow, this keeps you from getting punched. Get your hips under you and stand up into it, pulling on the arm at the same time, Keep your head up and you should stretch them out, ideally bringing them right up on there toes. there head locking arm is now trapped around your head and because they are stretched out body shots are going to go over well :)

Another simple option - Reach =up and grab there shoulder with your inside arm, take a wide base and sit down on your outside foot pulling them down as well.

There really are a lot of options if you get caught in a basic headlock,

I like this defense! Keeps them off balance and provides a quick release from the pressure they're putting on your head.

Mike

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
So it is important to keep a clear mind.

Agreed, very very important, that is why I like simplicity.

My experience with head locks comes from Jujitsu and it can be from almost anywhere generally on the ground.

But I highly agree with what you have said.

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Okay guys this is how its done...

If they have gotten through to you and have a good choke on you, you only have about 2 minutes before you go out so it has to be done quit fast.
First thing you do is rake the back of your foot down the chin of one of this legs causes him to kind of loose consentration on the choke. Then when this is happening you have to notice which arm is wrapped around the front of your neck. Lets just say he's right handed and he has his right hand wrapped around your neck. You take both of your arms up and grab just behind his elbow. This is just so you can take another breath and be able to get some blood flow up to the brain.
As soon as you pull down on that arm you drop the same leg in this case your right leg and turn to your right side. This will cause your attacker to roll over your shoulder, since he is now off balance and roll onto the ground. Then you get up and now your in control with him looking at your foot coming closer to his face.

This technique works very well and it doesn't matter how big of a difference in size the two of you are. I have done it with small guys and even huge 300 lbs guys. Its all about using their own unbalanced body weight to take them to the ground.

There are other counter-attacks once they are on the ground but you can use your imagination.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something to consider...

Jesse said:
Okay guys this is how its done...

First thing you do is rake the back of your foot down the chin of one of this legs causes him to kind of loose consentration on the choke.
Good luck for two reasons.

1. If they have you off balance like they should (someone who knows how to attack with a headlock), you pick up a leg to move it and you will more than likely end up falling on your butt and/or choking yourself out. Moving your feet in this situation is for more difficult before you can get your hips UNDER your shoulders.

2. Again if they have a good choke on you, their shins won't be close enough for you rake-em, until you can get your hips under your shoulders. Chokes are NOT like the ones Sondra Bullock demonstrated in 'Miss Congeniality". The shin rake is not a technique I would stake my consciousness on.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree, respond as quick as possible. Don't get in a headlock in the first place, or don't let a headlock become a choke, try to keep the attacker from finding his other hand. The difference between a headlock and a choke is quite serious. With most headlocks keep your attacker from wrenching your neck by locking on his arm and make him struggle against all your body weight instead of just your neck muscles. I learned a princple called 2 hands on 1, which ever arm is at your neck,chin or throat, latch on to it. I was told, If you were arm wrestling for your life would you cheat and use the other han?, HELL YES! Aslo a strength and endurence drill is to do short chin ups ( about 4-6 inch lifts ) just to get the throat free. Can be done in reps like chin ups or long endurence hanging. You may have to struggle against a UFC wanna be or the like who may not let you have you head back for a while. The better you can clear your neck the more likely you can effect some possible escape or reversal. All the insight in the world will not overcome a strong quick choke-out. Just a funny note, when I was about 16 a Punk Rocker nick-named Fast Eddie (Spiked Mohawk and all) said to my friend, "I know a great headlock escape" so my friend grabbed him in a snug but not life threating headlock and said "OK, get out" He then grabbed his own chin and back of his own head and gave himself a chiropractic adjustment he was practiced at, Crunch! Then he went limp in my friend arms. My friend freaked, thiniking Fast Eddie had gotten injured trying to get out, and let him go, stepping back saying "Are you OK!?" We all laughed for a while. We all agreed it was funny, but we would never trusted that some-one with harmfull intention would release you after hearing and feeling a crunch. Just my opinion. PEACE

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Is choking really what everybody thinks is the natural progression for a headlock?

This might be what your big brother is gonna do if you're playing around, because it's a good dominate position. But it really seems like there's a lot more brutal stuff that could come from here.

Latest Discussions