Equipment company

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off let me say this is a great possibility and I would like to have input the the reality of starting this company.

I was apporoached by a company that make MA equipment for century and Vision and PRo-tec, Tekno as well as some other and said I could start my own equipment company with my own logo.

The money is really not all thta much to get going and I been contiplating this for about six months, the input I would like is what do you think about another company that could offer the same equipment at half the cost would you consider buying from a new company. Same quality and The cost would be about half of the normal cost for the same exact equipment.
Thanks for the input.
Terry

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exact equipment for half the cost? I'd buy as much as I could and not worry about how the retailer was making a profit.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Exact equipment for half the cost? I'd buy as much as I could and not worry about how the retailer was making a profit.

Only an egg not exact the name would be different, you know no Teckno or Century as the name brand but the equipment is the same.
Terry

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hmmm...have you personally compared and researched the two types of equipment? What I mean to say is, if they look the same, feel the same; but, the cheaper one wears out faster, you'll have some perturbed customers sooner or later.

If, however, the product wears nearly the same, at half the cost? Could be real good for you.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
hmmm...have you personally compared and researched the two types of equipment? What I mean to say is, if they look the same, feel the same; but, the cheaper one wears out faster, you'll have some perturbed customers sooner or later.

If, however, the product wears nearly the same, at half the cost? Could be real good for you.

Yes we have been doing a comparision over the last six month and it is holding up just like the name brand stuff we have, so it look good to me. The only delima is getting part of the market share thta is out there.
Terry

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Selection might also be a issue.

Most clubs deal with Century or other large companies because they do get half price from them on a lot of stuff (Wholesale) and then can sell it back to students at retail. I'd imagine most of Century's business is wholesale customers with very few buying stuff at retail.

And they have a huge selection. If I want boxing gloves they got them, MMA gloves, got those, sticks? got them. Some flashy impractical XMA weapon? Got a ton of them.

Not to mention every color imaginable.... I mean really, who needs PINK boxing gloves?

Anyways, I've dealt with Century, not because they had the best stuff, or even the cheaper stuff, but because they had decent stuff, and all of the stuff I needed at one place. And I have never paid retail prices.

So consider your target market, which will be mostly small clubs, who's instructors don't want the hassle of setting up accounts with a larger retailer and reselling gear to their students.

Selling Martial Arts gear looks like a hard area to break into, it's possible, but I think most are tied to a source through their school.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tried to become a retailer out here, but that didn't hold enough promise for me to push forward.

Having your own brand name is a different story though. If you could support the start up and maintain the overhead cost while you got off the ground, I'd say it has potential. But you need to give the consumer a reason to buy it. Take me, for instance. I'll pay top dollar for something if I know what I'm getting. I'll also look for the retailer whose going to back up the product without busting my chops. I'll always be willing to pay more for that. If you can offer your brand AND the big name brands, that's even better. (That's where I got in trouble. Territorial issues, ya know). As Andrew mentioned, the more you can offer, the better shot u got.

If you can afford to target larger schools or suppliers, and provide them with a fair amount of free stuff to get your foot in the door, that's better still. (Another area that caused me to balk. Many don't care what the quality is, they want to know what's in it for them. I'll leave it at that, though that rabbit hole goes much deeper.)

Best idea yet. Let's call the brand something catchy like, hmm. I know! GEMINI! :p

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I tried to become a retailer out here, but that didn't hold enough promise for me to push forward.

Having your own brand name is a different story though. If you could support the start up and maintain the overhead cost while you got off the ground, I'd say it has potential. But you need to give the consumer a reason to buy it. Take me, for instance. I'll pay top dollar for something if I know what I'm getting. I'll also look for the retailer whose going to back up the product without busting my chops. I'll always be willing to pay more for that. If you can offer your brand AND the big name brands, that's even better. (That's where I got in trouble. Territorial issues, ya know). As Andrew mentioned, the more you can offer, the better shot u got.

If you can afford to target larger schools or suppliers, and provide them with a fair amount of free stuff to get your foot in the door, that's better still. (Another area that caused me to balk. Many don't care what the quality is, they want to know what's in it for them. I'll leave it at that, though that rabbit hole goes much deeper.)

Best idea yet. Let's call the brand something catchy like, hmm. I know! GEMINI! :p

You know Gemini I care about quality that is why I wanted to do this, the other thing is alot of people are getting hosed by this other companys alot too. I tend to offer a money back guareentee, I already do this for my other company so no problem there. As far as everything I will be able to disbuse alot of weapons and knifes but not any XMA stuff they are patend equipment, but everything else I should have available. It will be the beginning of next year for it is all said and done just looking at other avenues.
Terry

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
You know Gemini I care about quality that is why I wanted to do this, the other thing is alot of people are getting hosed by this other companys alot too.

Yep. That's pretty much why I started looking into myself. Sorry if I sounded pessimistic, but the more I researched, the more disillusioned I became about the reality of the business. You have a better angle than I did. I wish you better luck.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Terry, if you're going to find success, you need to clearly understand what will set you apart from the others. What will you do better? How will you do it? Perhaps you can beat them in service? I don't know, just helping you brainstorm here....

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Terry, if you're going to find success, you need to clearly understand what will set you apart from the others. What will you do better? How will you do it? Perhaps you can beat them in service? I don't know, just helping you brainstorm here....

Thanks Flatlander that is why I posted it to get ideal from you guy and girls. All feed back weather positive or negitive is good in this endevour.
Terry

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
you're not going to be able to compete at the national level (though i'd be interested in your bid once you get started -- ma talkers rule). you may want to focus on local studios. cash in on the 'hey i'm local so you can come by and yell at me' angle, plus undersell MTI and Century by a buck or two.

free shipping would be a plus, and emergency shipping: 'holy crap! there were three kids testing for green belt today? i though you said johnny smith was on vacation and testing next month....'

just my cent and three quarters canadian

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
One Word:

McDojo's

The people that generally get into those don't need the quality just the quantity to reduce costs. Many of the McDojo's I have visited will give away a free paper thin gi or have the gallery of McNunchuku's, McSword sets, McSparring pads. Thats a market where the people don't last long, but spend a lot on the front end.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
One Word:

McDojo's

The people that generally get into those don't need the quality just the quantity to reduce costs. Many of the McDojo's I have visited will give away a free paper thin gi or have the gallery of McNunchuku's, McSword sets, McSparring pads. Thats a market where the people don't last long, but spend a lot on the front end.

Beau I'm by far a McDojo and the company I would start up would be quality merchandise not Mc Dojo simplicate merchandise.
Sorry
Terry

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
One Word:

McDojo's

I understand your point, but I don't think that's the manner in which he's trying to associate himself or his product. Being successful means more to some people than just making money. In Terry's case, I'm betting he puts more stock in his reputation than his wallet. That's what makes it all the more difficult.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Beau I'm by far a McDojo and the company I would start up would be quality merchandise not Mc Dojo simplicate merchandise.
Sorry
Terry

Ahh gotcha, Well just throwing that out there.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is the goal to have your sales purely web based? If so, developing your internet presence is going to be critical. If you genuinely believe that you can market your products cheaper than anyone else does, then all you need to really do is get the word out there.

Something else to consider is having a couple of items that no-one else, or at least, very few others have, to serve as something that sets you apart, and establishes you as being "the guy for that thing", whatever that thing is.

Latest Discussions