entering a traditional karate style tournament

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will be in the black belt division. Likely against several I competed with in the past. if ya want to look em up, I have most of my previous matches somewhere on this forum. I'm going to try and find them.
I definentely feel if your in a black belt division you should be allowed to do contact. Your a black belt your control should be good to deliver a hit without injuring someone. I understand it for kids but for adults and especially black belts there should be contact even if just light contact. Also the rules say you must wear all that protection...seems unnecessary when your not even allowed to touch the person

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I did break an opponent's rib at that tournament a year or two ago. She charged into a kick. But really, I think the occasional minor injury is good to keep us humble and teach us not to complain.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
if it is an open karate tournament, i would be prepared for something resembling this.

notice the distance and timing. there is a feel of openness and space between the shots. this allow the judges to see what is happening.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did break an opponent's rib at that tournament a year or two ago. She charged into a kick. But really, I think the occasional minor injury is good to keep us humble and teach us not to complain.

Does this mean you are female or that you have mixed gender competitions?

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is seriously stupid but then of course so is no touch, no contact sparring.
If they are wearing a black belt and entering a tournament, they should be able to hold their own. The last one I was in, I had four competitors, one was female. I don't usually see many of em, but they're out there.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they are wearing a black belt and entering a tournament, they should be able to hold their own. The last one I was in, I had four competitors, one was female. I don't usually see many of em, but they're out there.

How will they hold their own when they aren't even touching their opponent? No one holds their own when it's not even touching. It's plain stupid, no contact, no touching 'sparring' is beyond ridiculous for adults. What's the point in doing it competitively? 'Oh look I could have hit you then'. :D

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
How will they hold their own when they aren't even touching their opponent? No one holds their own when it's not even touching. It's plain stupid, no contact, no touching 'sparring' is beyond ridiculous for adults. What's the point in doing it competitively? 'Oh look I could have hit you then'.
There's usually quite a bit of contact. The "no contact" part is a mercy rule that I've not seen happen in three years competing with them. It just doesn't happen. Not sure why it's even in there.

Last edited:
OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is worse.

- Your opponent uses "control" punch at your face.
- You turn your head.
- Bite on your lips and let blood to come out.
- Loot at judge with blood on your lips.
You got that right. Some competitors are just dumb lazy and dishonest. I know of a karate student who while in continued study, entered as a brown belt three years in a row. His school put on the tournament. Either he was the worst student ever ( he won each time) or his instructor cheated for him to compete in a lower class so as to give him the advantage. Gonna be cheaters anywhere a snake can slither.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the past, you won't get score if you use MT roundhouse kick. To get a score in Karate roundhouse kick, you have to kick with the ball of your foot and not with the instep of your foot (or the shin of your leg). Not sure that rule has been changed today or not.

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the past, you won't get score if you use MT roundhouse kick. To get a score in Karate roundhouse kick, you have to keep with the ball of your foot and not with the instep of your foot (or the shin of your leg). Not sure that rule has been changed today or not.

Where we compete the instep or the shin is ok for scoring. Never heard of that rule that you have to use the ball of the foot.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Where we compete the instep or the shin is ok for scoring. Never heard of that rule that you have to use the ball of the foot.
That rule was used when I competed in the Texas Karate tournament back in the 70. I still remember that a hammer fist on top of the head won't give me score.

As far as I know, the Karate roundhouse kick is different from the MT roundhouse kick. In Karate practice, you usually hit with the ball of the foot.

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have seen a lot of org that do not score hammerfists to the top of head but never seen the requirement to kick with the ball of foot for roundhouses.