entering a traditional karate style tournament

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been out of tma completely for a while. Kept going in krav maga. I am entering an October tournament in point fighting and weapon forms. Thought about doing somthing real crazy and entering hand forms. I have learned how to take a lot of shots in krav, but that doesn't work in point fighting.
so, I'm looking for point fighting pointers
And any advice or tips to extra hone my speed, agility, or awareness. Don't want to look like a fool out there.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hand forms

What are they?

All I remember about point fighting which I haven't done for decades since I found the fun in actually hitting people, is to remember to make a very loud kiai when you strike to fool the refs into thinking you've scored!

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been out of tma completely for a while. Kept going in krav maga. I am entering an October tournament in point fighting and weapon forms. Thought about doing somthing real crazy and entering hand forms. I have learned how to take a lot of shots in krav, but that doesn't work in point fighting.
so, I'm looking for point fighting pointers
And any advice or tips to extra hone my speed, agility, or awareness. Don't want to look like a fool out there.

The 3 B's of point fighting:

Be fast
Be first
Be frequent

A lot depends on the organization and what they emphasize.

What tournament are you entering? And what body is sanctioning it?

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
A tournament within the KFCF. It's usually small, around 50 competitors. Emphasis in point fighting is control. In forms, they don't like excessive shouting, too fast to clearly see, or tricking. As I recall, black belt division is unlimited three minute rounds until three points.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
What are they?

All I remember about point fighting which I haven't done for decades since I found the fun in actually hitting people, is to remember to make a very loud kiai when you strike to fool the refs into thinking you've scored!
Weaponless kata

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
A tournament within the KFCF. It's usually small, around 50 competitors. Emphasis in point fighting is control. In forms, they don't like excessive shouting, too fast to clearly see, or tricking. As I recall, black belt division is unlimited three minute rounds until three points.

Not familiar with KFCF. But sounds like scoring is gonna be a lot like what we do.

Pointers:

Stay away from "brawling"

Don't smother your techniques to where the judges can't see what is landing.

Focus on speed and/or timing

Be aggressive and first.

Use combinations

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sparring Rules: ( All judges scores and interpretations are subjective. )

Presentation speech not required for sparring competition.

All competitors must be fully padded with their own chest guard, headgear, hand pads, footpads, mouthpiece and groin protection for males. White cloth foot and hand pads are banned. Fingers and toes must be completely covered per insurance requirements.

Chest guards are mandatory by insurance requirements regardless of style.

All sparring will be “Super Light” full control contact.

No contact by hand or foot to the head will be allowed in the novice and intermediate divisions.

Super light contact by foot only will be allowed to the side of the headgear in the Advanced and Black Belt divisions only.

Contact punches to the head are not allowed in any division.

No punches or kicks will be allowed to the following: groin, bladder, back of the head, knees, and back.

No contact will be allowed to the open face area of the headgear. Intentional contact to this area will mean disqualification.

Lack of control, intentional force and bad sportsmanship will mean disqualification.

Non-contact faking kicks and punches to the non-score areas of the body are allowed for set-up attacks to score areas. However, any contact, whether intentional or unintentional may lead to disqualification at the discretion of the Center Judge.

Upon a scored technique all fighting will be stopped, the scored upon student checked, Judges will score and fighting resumed.

In the event of lack of control technique the fight will be stopped. The offending student will assume the “position of shame” (kneeling, head bowed, back to other opponent) and wait for the other competitor to be checked for any injury and the Judge’s verdict for the consequences of their lack of control.

Scoring will be by a 1 point each system for properly executed techniques of strikes/punches/kicks to scoring zones only.

Scoring zones will be the chest and side areas only of the chest protector and side of the headgear only. Accidental and/or sloppy strikes/kicks to scoring zones will not be counted. Simultaneous hits to scoring areas by both competitors will cancel out each score.

Fighting will be to a 3-point winner within 3 rounds or the one with the most points at the end of the 3 rounds. Novice and Intermediate Divisions will have 3-90 second rounds. Advanced and Black Belt Divisions will have 3 rounds of 2 minutes each. Tie scores at the end of 3 rounds will be afforded one more round.

A tie is possible in this competition if effort is exemplary with equal scores.

A 1 point score will be awarded for clean non-contact technique to a scoring zone if the technique is pulled within 2” of contact and it is clear that the competitor did not or could not have defended the technique and stopped the possibility of a scored point at Judges discretion only.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Screen loudly run in with your head down jump In the air and aim to hit the air next to your opponent. That's what most people do In point fighting and don't even think about actually landing a shot or you'll be disqualified

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

A 1 point score will be awarded for clean non-contact technique to a scoring zone if the technique is pulled within 2” of contact and it is clear that the competitor did not or could not have defended the technique and stopped the possibility of a scored point at Judges discretion only.

See that's what I hate about point fighting. Clean non contact...I understand it for kids who haven't got good control but there should be at least some contact for adults even light contact. To me that makes it sound like you miss a punch and you get a point..how does that work? When it says it's clear they couldn't have defended that's rubbish I've refereed point tournaments and there's no way you can tell if a missed shot could've been stopped when everyone's moving around and fighting fast pace

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are they?

Not even joking I've seen a guy kiai when he didnt even throw a shot and he got a point...

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah. We like light contact to head and full contact or medium contact to body.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Before we get to any sport tactics opinion, let's look Big Picture first. Go have fun, bro. It should be fun, interacting with everyone, being part of the sport fighting environment, getting that nervous rush when your name is called - then looking back at how quick it all was, what a nice guy so and so was, how what's his name threw that kick etc.

Go have yourself some fun. Competition rocks.

I don't know if you'll be fighting novice, intermediate or advanced, so we'll go with just general opinion.

Blade Your Body/Stance so as to limit the scoring opportunities of your opponents.

Keep your feet comfortably stanced - Karate fighters, when stressed or pressed, tend to let their stances widen, limiting mobility for running away [think Monty Python] side stepping or offensively moving forward.

Keep your shoulders relaxed, your hands light and moving easily.

Try to figure which side of the fighting area you want to enter from. Where you want that Center Judge to be standing - on your open front side or your back side.

Watch what all the judges/refs are calling that day. Most judge groups have habits of what they like to see. So when the second round of fighters comes around you'll have a slight advantage over any fighters not paying attention to said judges.

The most commonly scored techniques in point tournaments, especially small or local tournaments, is a reverse punch. If you have a decent one, use that puppy.

But just go have fun. I believe point fighting is done at a more successful level when the fighter is having fun.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I will be in the black belt division. Likely against several I competed with in the past. if ya want to look em up, I have most of my previous matches somewhere on this forum. I'm going to try and find them.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Presentation speech not required for sparring competition.

All competitors must be fully padded with their own chest guard, headgear, hand pads, footpads, mouthpiece and groin protection for males. White cloth foot and hand pads are banned. Fingers and toes must be completely covered per insurance requirements.

Chest guards are mandatory by insurance requirements regardless of style.

All sparring will be “Super Light” full control contact.

No contact by hand or foot to the head will be allowed in the novice and intermediate divisions.

Super light contact by foot only will be allowed to the side of the headgear in the Advanced and Black Belt divisions only.

Contact punches to the head are not allowed in any division.

No punches or kicks will be allowed to the following: groin, bladder, back of the head, knees, and back.

No contact will be allowed to the open face area of the headgear. Intentional contact to this area will mean disqualification.

Lack of control, intentional force and bad sportsmanship will mean disqualification.

Non-contact faking kicks and punches to the non-score areas of the body are allowed for set-up attacks to score areas. However, any contact, whether intentional or unintentional may lead to disqualification at the discretion of the Center Judge.

Upon a scored technique all fighting will be stopped, the scored upon student checked, Judges will score and fighting resumed.

In the event of lack of control technique the fight will be stopped. The offending student will assume the “position of shame” (kneeling, head bowed, back to other opponent) and wait for the other competitor to be checked for any injury and the Judge’s verdict for the consequences of their lack of control.

Scoring will be by a 1 point each system for properly executed techniques of strikes/punches/kicks to scoring zones only.

Scoring zones will be the chest and side areas only of the chest protector and side of the headgear only. Accidental and/or sloppy strikes/kicks to scoring zones will not be counted. Simultaneous hits to scoring areas by both competitors will cancel out each score.

Fighting will be to a 3-point winner within 3 rounds or the one with the most points at the end of the 3 rounds. Novice and Intermediate Divisions will have 3-90 second rounds. Advanced and Black Belt Divisions will have 3 rounds of 2 minutes each. Tie scores at the end of 3 rounds will be afforded one more round.

A tie is possible in this competition if effort is exemplary with equal scores.

Never heard that one called "Position of Shame" before. Pretty stupid name for it if you ask me.

Latest Discussions