Enhanced realism/New forum suggestion

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll start this as a thread, but if Kaith or any other top dog here thinks it's worth opening a new forum for, I'd be pretty happy :uhyeah: .

Among martial artists who practice styles that focus on practical self-defense, or anyone with a practical idea for that matter, what drills do you use to enhance realism?

For example, someone mentioned a prison-style all-offense attack that doesn't stop until the attacker is neutralized, something that is taught as an inefficient form of fighting but probably occurs frequently among untrained fighters. Another is the wolf among sheep drill. These were mentioned in "Why knife-arts will get you killed".

I'd love to hear more about these drills and others that aim at departing from the usual and thinking out of the box. A forum devoted to such drills would be a great contribution to all our MA training, IMO.

~ Loki

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know, discussions on "realistic self-defence" just tend to get goofy as it is all unsubstantiated ideas about how everyone else is doing things that will "get them killed" in the real world and 101 ways to poke someone in the eye and rip of there testicles...

OP
Loki

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Then we can decide not to be goofy

~ Loki

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Andrew's got it right. One person's goofy is another person's profound. Just look around, and you'll find plenty of examples of this.

On the other hand, your question about training methods is good. I assume that your reference to prison methods was in regards to "52 Hand Blocks". While I've seen reference to it, little is mentioned about actual training methods (aside from something about a deck of cards). I hope your inquiry bears fruit.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, What drills do people use for realism? There are about 6-8 schools that deal with realism training. All the other arts really do not focus on this. If you ever read any of Mac "animal"Macyoung books you will know what I mean.

Woofing! ,the adrenaline factor and all out attacks (anything goes) type of training for this is not done often in most schools. Real fighting there is no rules. How does one train for an all out attack, maybe even with someone on the side who jumps in with a chair/something? Plus the thousands of different possiblebilities, situations? UM?

Read "The gift of fear, Tongue Fu, Judo fu, and learn to avoid and beaware at all times. Usually a confrontions are unexpected and happens real quickly. Next thing you know someone is punching you? What now? How does one train for the unexpected fight? ......Just my thoughts....."Mac" has change my thinking of the way we are training. .....Aloha

OP
Loki

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
Work in the night club security industry. You'll get to try out your theories, legally, and, if you get into some trouble, you'll have the help of your co-workers.
Where I come from, I'm more likely to be blown up than beat up.

~ Loki

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
I don't know, discussions on "realistic self-defence" just tend to get goofy as it is all unsubstantiated ideas about how everyone else is doing things that will "get them killed" in the real world and 101 ways to poke someone in the eye and rip of there testicles...
I agree. The realistic "training" I see the LEAST is actually beating each other up. Nothing prepares you for the real world like learning what it's like to take a beating. The neatest "eye-gouge" or "testicle rip" takes a distant second at best. Most people are more prepared, however, to pretend to train to rip a testicle or gouge an eye, than actually risk a broken nose, busted lip, or dislocated "whatever".

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, All of us train for physical confrontations. In the real world if the bad guy came at us "woofing" and anger at us,usually unexpected, this is emotional threat we do not practice for. The adrenline and "emotional reactions". People than to freeze, or in the mind "I can't believie this is happening to me?" Your mind is going blank.

Keep in mind the "woofing" is testing you to see if you will be scare to death of him. These are just words, words do not hurt like real punches. Getting hit may follow the" woofing".

The real world can be anytime and anyplace,unexpected, with your mind on a shopping lists?, pick-up my kids?, and so on. ..........Aloha

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Would this be a place we could post videos of real street fights?
You know, the winos, and the Cops calls?

OP
Loki

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bester said:
In theory, I guess.

~ Loki

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find it useful to watch those videos...but it's important to remember that while they present real data, it is not likely to be representative.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bester said:

It's data. I think those fights that are taped amount to a highy biased sample, but although many of my academic colleagues disagree with me, I always say it's better to have bad data than no data.

Latest Discussions