Empty Force Challenge

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wonder how long it took that guy to learn how to jump back like that? I mean, does it come with instructions? Did the old guy show him what it's supposed to look like? Were there drawings?

In our demonstration team at my school, we do scripted self defense skits where the attacker has to act like they're getting struck or thrown by the defender. So when the defender strikes back, they're supposed to jerk their body as if they just got hit, and when they're thrown they're suppose to jump and flip in the right direction, and hit the mat with their hands to make a loud "THUD" when they hit the ground. If there's an arm break to finish it, the flop around like they're in pain (even though we don't go nearly that far in the demo), etcetera, etcetera.

In our practice before an event, one of the students didn't show up. So I had his partner go and do his part even though the other guy wasn't there. So he blocked an imaginary punch, did a leg take-down against an imaginary opponent, pretended his opponent stood up and did a jump spinning kick to knock out the imaginary attacker.

Then I told him he had to do his other part, and pretend the other guy was doing his defense. So he goes and throws a punch, pretends like it's blocked, then throws himself into a 3/4 flip onto the mat, and then flops on the ground as the imaginary defender kicked his face. It really looked like a horror movie where a ghost is throwing someone around a room.

Since then, all the kids in my demo team love our new member: Casper, and they want to see this kid vs. Casper again.

Reactions: pdg

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In our demonstration team at my school, we do scripted self defense skits where the attacker has to act like they're getting struck or thrown by the defender. So when the defender strikes back, they're supposed to jerk their body as if they just got hit, and when they're thrown they're suppose to jump and flip in the right direction, and hit the mat with their hands to make a loud "THUD" when they hit the ground. If there's an arm break to finish it, the flop around like they're in pain (even though we don't go nearly that far in the demo), etcetera, etcetera.

In our practice before an event, one of the students didn't show up. So I had his partner go and do his part even though the other guy wasn't there. So he blocked an imaginary punch, did a leg take-down against an imaginary opponent, pretended his opponent stood up and did a jump spinning kick to knock out the imaginary attacker.

Then I told him he had to do his other part, and pretend the other guy was doing his defense. So he goes and throws a punch, pretends like it's blocked, then throws himself into a 3/4 flip onto the mat, and then flops on the ground as the imaginary defender kicked his face. It really looked like a horror movie where a ghost is throwing someone around a room.

Since then, all the kids in my demo team love our new member: Casper, and they want to see this kid vs. Casper again.
Reminds me of near the end of Fight Club.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how long it took that guy to learn how to jump back like that? I mean, does it come with instructions? Did the old guy show him what it's supposed to look like? Were there drawings?
That’s the kind of **** that goes through my head when I see one of these videos.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That’s not what i asked. I asked if you feel the need to challenge people. In the way that you described.
I had challenged (also was challenged by) many people when I was young. I was challenged by the preying mantis master Brendan Lai. The challenge was as simple as:

- Both Brendan and I have right side forward.
- If Brendan's right hand can punch on my left shoulder, he wins.
- If my right hand can block Brendan's punch, I win.

So challenge doesn't mean that one person has to beat up another person. It's challenge on speed, power, balance, ...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had challenged (also was challenged by) many people when I was young. I was challenged by the preying mantis master Brendan Lai. The challenge was as simple as:

- Both Brendan and I have right side forward.
- If Brendan's right leading hand can punch on my left back shoulder, he wins.
- If my leading right hand can block Brendan's punch, I win.

So challenge doesn't have to be one person beats up another person.
Does this prove anything?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does this prove anything?

Brendan Lai was famous for his speed. If Brendan won, he was faster than me. If I won, I was faster than him.

I accepted his challenge. If I

- lose, I would need to train harder, or modified my training program.
- won, my training was on the right path.

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I still haven’t seen that.
So you’re that guy I’ve heard about.

Seriously though, it’s a must see. Please tell me you’ll see it. I’m sure you can pick up a dvd of it at Target for less than $10.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Brendan Lai was famous for his speed. If Brendan won, he was faster than me. If I won, I was faster than him.

I accepted his challenge. If I

- lose, I would need to train harder, or modified my training program.
- won, my training was on the right path.
I know his wife and son. I was disappointed when they closed their shop. I do not know what they are doing now.

I never knew Brendan.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Exactly. He does have some "power" or influence to get his monkey's to jump at the right time doesn't he. I wonder if they travel with him where ever he goes?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you’re that guy I’ve heard about.

Seriously though, it’s a must see. Please tell me you’ll see it. I’m sure you can pick up a dvd of it at Target for less than $10.
I can probably see it on Netflix or Tubi or Amazon or something. I've been meaning to see it for a while. I'll go look for it and see if I can download it for my next flight.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been so long since I've seen it that I've forgotten much of it and may as well not have...
As the Hobbit can attest, that level of forgetting usually requires the passage of about a week's time for me.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually wondered that too. And he lands sort of flat-footed - doesn't that hurt?

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's been so long since I've seen it that I've forgotten much of it and may as well not have...
Fight Club was not a bad movie, but not the one I would watch again. I like re-watching movies that have something positive - and this whole thing was one big exercise in cynicism.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
As the Hobbit can attest, that level of forgetting usually requires the passage of about a week's time for me.
It's true! It's actually very cute - as far as @gpseymour is concerned, all the Agatha Christie mysteries, even the ones we'd owned for years, are still mysteries, because he still can't remember who done it. It's adorable, really.

He can say to me, "Remember that movie... with that guy... and the green thing..." and I usually can name the movie. On the other hand, I could recite half the plot to him, and KNOW we'd seen something together - and he wouldn't remember what it was.

Latest Discussions