Emperor's Bodyguards...

Z

Zathras

Taken from the Splashing Hands Thread -
Tony said:
I believe this Art was taught to the Emporer's bodyguards.
Got me thinking, I've heard this said about many different martial arts before including my own - Tai Chi.

There are a few references out there but its still unclear to me what the chosen or primary martial art was for the Emperors bodyguards. Or was it just a case of pretty much as many Arts as they could?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Last Emperor (Pu Yi) bodyguard's were Baji Quan players. That was just some of them. I don't believe I've ever heard of a "specific" style of MA for the royal bodyguards.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
clfsean said:
The Last Emperor (Pu Yi) bodyguard's were Baji Quan players. That was just some of them. I don't believe I've ever heard of a "specific" style of MA for the royal bodyguards.
Theoretically, wouldn't they have been hand picked based on skill/ability, experience and character (maybe a little political favoritism as well - you know what I mean. "I was selected for the Kings BodyGuards", "Oh wonderful, come be my general...") and then trained in techniques and tactics that were 'mission appropriate' but were foundationally similiar to what they did before?

That is basically how it goes now with PSD or Executive protection training. There isn't a specific type of 'shooting system' or 'driving system' or what ever that Bodyguards use that is unique to them but the systematic training teaches them how to refine and apply those skills for the job at hand.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think thats probably alot of how it was. I dont know that any of us can honestly know exactly how it was done, but thats more than likely close to how it was I would think. In ancient china, styles tended to blend together more. Learning kung fu didn't mean choosing a specific style and just simple learning it alone. It was a general training until at a level of skill that was high enough to start really becoming "specialized" if you will.

7sm

OP
R

RHD

7starmantis said:
I think thats probably alot of how it was. I dont know that any of us can honestly know exactly how it was done, but thats more than likely close to how it was I would think. In ancient china, styles tended to blend together more. Learning kung fu didn't mean choosing a specific style and just simple learning it alone. It was a general training until at a level of skill that was high enough to start really becoming "specialized" if you will.

7sm

According to my master...they were all Say Fong Kuen :enfo:

Mike

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
RHD said:
According to my master...they were all Say Fong Kuen :enfo:

Mike
Not saying that it isn't likely that it became known by that name. My point is that "SaiFongKuen" MIGHT have simply been a play book of basic techniques and tactics that were codified for the body guards so that they could drill and practice and become better coordinated in what now is known as 'Battle SOP (standard operating procedures)' and "immediate action drills (like a trained automatic response to an ambush so that you can take back some initiative with a swift response)'.

Eventually, that 'playbook' or 'operational manual' became a 'system.' But it grew and changed as new guards took charge of the unit, contributed to it from their own experience and training, and eventually there was some retired bodyguard making a living teaching SaiFongKuen to the masses (or at least high paying aristocrats :))....

much like the TKD and Krav Maga trend of current day.

The origins of most martial arts are just as practical as they are now and probably less 'mystical' or 'noble' than people feel the need to believe.