Emergency Preparedness?

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not usually. I have a few of them, between 1.5 gal and 5 gal -- normally for keeping fuel for the generator when a wicked stawm is predicted. I don't generally carry a can in my car as the fumes tend to get nasty, even in one of those EPA containers.

View attachment 17975

Carried some in my van, never had a problem, unless I spilled some when I refilled or used it (or rather the funnel was still wet)

In the Expedition it does stink up the place....go figure.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we all need to have emergency preparedness on our minds. Could be a horrific storm you need to get through in your car or home. A hurricane, tornado, earthquake, riot, etc. Plus a run on food at the grocery stores, etc. I think having supplies in your car and home is essential. Some people will feel okay with a months worth of food, others with a lot more. I personally have a lot more plus all the supplies I will need! ;)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know how to induce bleeding with a gun, but do tell, how do you stop it with one?

Or how do you get 8 miles down the road when you are not ambulatory?

(I really wasn't going down the road, prepper way, but do tell anyhow!)

This was really only meant to be a friendly picking of brains on what does anybody carry/have on hand for those situations when the pack of band aids that normally comprises a 'First Aid kit' simply won't do, not apocalypse.

Anybody carry duct tape?
bailing twine?
wire?

Duct tape even when I'm hiking, I sometimes wrap some around my poles. My tent (which is usually in the back of my car) has a mess of paracord to go with it. Sometimes I carry some with me. I'd like to make a paracord belt or camera strap.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know how to induce bleeding with a gun, but do tell, how do you stop it with one?

Or how do you get 8 miles down the road when you are not ambulatory?

(I really wasn't going down the road, prepper way, but do tell anyhow!)

This was really only meant to be a friendly picking of brains on what does anybody carry/have on hand for those situations when the pack of band aids that normally comprises a 'First Aid kit' simply won't do, not apocalypse.

Anybody carry duct tape?
bailing twine?
wire?
Well, if you want to be that way about it...Duct tape and Mule tape, mule tape is a flat woven rope, about ½ wide, very thin, with a 2500 lb strength. 100 feet of that, that stuff is handy for everything... I've been meaning to buy an M3 aid bag, just haven't spent the money yet.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, if you want to be that way about it...Duct tape and Mule tape, mule tape is a flat woven rope, about ½ wide, very thin, with a 2500 lb strength. 100 feet of that, that stuff is handy for everything... I've been meaning to buy an M3 aid bag, just haven't spent the money yet.

:angel:

yes, yes I do.

Mule tape...I guess it's like the little tip thing on the shoe lace: I never knew that stuff has a name.

The bag looks promising.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First aid kits don't excite me much. Many times the quality of the products inside are poor quality no-name products. Bandaids that don't stick, medications/ointments at inconsistent dosages, etc. I don't carry one when hiking because most bandages will only stay on your skin for about a minute if you're in the back country wrangling around stuff. A piece of gauze and tape....or even just the tape, since it doesn't stick to your skin can do fine in an emergency.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've expanded my earthquake bags to survival bags. 1 for home and 1 for each vehicle. My truck has the most though as that is the one I will hike with. I also have a mini pack with my motorcycle.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
First aid kits don't excite me much. Many times the quality of the products inside are poor quality no-name products. Bandaids that don't stick, medications/ointments at inconsistent dosages, etc. I don't carry one when hiking because most bandages will only stay on your skin for about a minute if you're in the back country wrangling around stuff. A piece of gauze and tape....or even just the tape, since it doesn't stick to your skin can do fine in an emergency.

That's pretty much it. I wish they would make the ointment packs even smaller yet though. Might have to grab some of the Q Tip type ones....but I am actually trying to stay away from that stuff.

Reminds me, the scouts are doing their summer camp on their own this year, not a BSA site...we might have to beef up our stash....

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another often over looked thing is your ID and a credit card. My friends parents live at an apartment right at the bomb site in Boston. He was just telling me they are OK they were actually there 10 min before the bomb went off they walked away saying it was too crowded. They walked down the street to grab a cup of. Neither had IDs or credit cards just a few bucks since they were just walking down the street. After the bomb went off they were not allowed back to their apartment and were effectively homeless with no money ID or credit cards for the night.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm (checking pockets)

Wallet with credit card, ID, about 100$ cash, condoms.
Keychains with small multi tool (gets eyeballed in airport security every time but never taken) and tiny flashlight.
Cellphone
Functional clothing

I`m all set :)

(the guns in my profile picture are only carried on Spitzbergen, where it is required by law :D )

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another often over looked thing is your ID and a credit card. My friends parents live at an apartment right at the bomb site in Boston. He was just telling me they are OK they were actually there 10 min before the bomb went off they walked away saying it was too crowded. They walked down the street to grab a cup of. Neither had IDs or credit cards just a few bucks since they were just walking down the street. After the bomb went off they were not allowed back to their apartment and were effectively homeless with no money ID or credit cards for the night.

Good point, that's something that I learned from a bike accident I was in a little while ago. I was in a wreck that left me too dizzy to stand, let along get back on my bike and ride home. Another bicyclist called 911 and due to some other unseen circumstances I ended up being transported to a trauma center that was a good ways from both the scene and my house. I was released from the emergency room with no ID, no credit card, no shoes, nothing but my car key and less than $10 cash.

Now When hiking I carry a credit card and cash with me as well as photocopies of my driver's license and insurance card.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like to make my own first aid kits because I feel you overpay a lot and get very little when you buy one stocked by company!

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like to make my own first aid kits because I feel you overpay a lot and get very little when you buy one stocked by company!

Me too, not only for the savings but to customize my kit puttting more or less of certain things. My whole pack, not just the 1st aid pack, I try to pack stuff that have multiple purposes.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Latest Discussions