Embarrasing moments

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post a nice light hearted thread for a bit of fun and talk about embarassing moments in training sessions.

My one would be when I was 12 and I was training it was a point sparring match so the class was sitting around watching and I went to throw a kick and as I did my gi bottoms fell down and yeah that wasn't fun lol.

But yeah thought I'd post this just for some fun

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post a nice light hearted thread for a bit of fun and talk about embarassing moments in training sessions.

My one would be when I was 12 and I was training it was a point sparring match so the class was sitting around watching and I went to throw a kick and as I did my gi bottoms fell down and yeah that wasn't fun lol.

Everybody has their moments. I split my gi pants at the rear seam and didn't know; I was informed of it by the people in the row behind me. Thankfully I was wearing undergarments (and clean ones at that).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In one of the first classes where I wore a hakama (in the NGAA, only after you receive shodan), I managed to step on the hem during a step back while demonstrating a technique to the class. I then proceeded to completely mangle the attempt to roll out of it, ending up butt-in-the air to finish. Quite the impressive demonstration for the new black belt, all in all.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everybody has their moments. I split my gi pants at the rear seam and didn't know; I was informed of it by the people in the row behind me. Thankfully I was wearing undergarments (and clean ones at that).
The culture of a school dictates the manner of that disclosure. Was it a discreet and slightly formal mention, or a "Hey, TMI!" by a senior student?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One day, my only gi pants were not dried. So, I wear them wet. Then, the technique of the day included grabbing pants. As it was not enough, I trained with a girl that was chasing me at that time. She didn't change his mind, anyway. But it was really embarrassing...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One day, my only gi pants were not dried. So, I wear them wet. Then, the technique of the day included grabbing pants. As it was not enough, I trained with a girl that was chasing me at that time. She didn't change his mind, anyway. But it was really embarrassing...
Well, at least it wasn't just part of the pants that were wet....

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was at a Japanese sword competition (Tai Kai) a number of years back. The task in front of us was to cut a single tatami mat target from the draw starting in seiza (kneeling position). My new instructor (and long-time friend) was one of the three judges in front of us. As I drew and cut, I started the cut about a quarter inch too soon, and popped the tip of my sword through the buffalo horn reinforcement at the mouth of the scabbard (saya) right where you hold it with your left hand. It was accompanied by a very loud CRACK! and a collective gasp as everyone watching knew that I had cut through my saya. I held my left hand up in the air and wiggled my fingers while loudly proclaiming "they're all still attached!" I was, of course, immediately disqualified amidst much laughter.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I passed gas once when rolling in BJJ wth a woman. Sigh. I'm firmly in my middle age and happily married, but it's still embarrassing.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Embarrassing moment.
Teaching a self defense workshop to a church group of ladies. One elder lady was having a bit of trouble completing the application we were working on.
"Let me see you do it" and as she is does there is no footwork associated which allows the finish to be proper. Says I; "you simply need to move your foot about 6 inches then turn and you'll have it." She does so and is elated!!
"Look at that; It is so exciting what 6 inches can do for a lady!!"

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There's nothing like being in the front row of class, stepping into a middle stance, and letting a fart that a buffalo would have been proud to acknowledge.

Everybody looked at me. I looked at the instructor and said, "Trying a new kihap, sir." Class promptly loses it laughing.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There's nothing like being in the front row of class, stepping into a middle stance, and letting a fart that a buffalo would have been proud to acknowledge.

Everybody looked at me. I looked at the instructor and said, "Trying a new kihap, sir." Class promptly loses it laughing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you can't disown it, own it.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

I was once showing a new guy how to put power into a round kick to the body, and for some reason everyone there (about 6 other dudes) just stopped what they were doing to watch.

So ya, the mat slipped out from under my foot, I went backwards and knocked my self silly on the now uncovered wooden floor. When I regained my wits everyone was still laughing :/

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Years ago, practicing grappling techniques with a guy, went to tap out and ended up slapping him on the ***.

The other day, I was awkwardly crouched down to let a 4-year old kick a shield pad, and when he hit it, I lost my balance. I'm sure he felt like Superman or something, knocking his TKD teacher over with his kick. :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was once showing a new guy how to put power into a round kick to the body, and for some reason everyone there (about 6 other dudes) just stopped what they were doing to watch.

So ya, the mat slipped out from under my foot, I went backwards and knocked my self silly on the now uncovered wooden floor. When I regained my wits everyone was still laughing :/
Silly Martial D - the point of a powerful kick is knock the OTHER guy out.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago, practicing grappling techniques with a guy, went to tap out and ended up slapping him on the ***.

The other day, I was awkwardly crouched down to let a 4-year old kick a shield pad, and when he hit it, I lost my balance. I'm sure he felt like Superman or something, knocking his TKD teacher over with his kick. :D
I've tapped out on so many inappropriate body parts over the years....

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Silly Martial D - the point of a powerful kick is knock the OTHER guy out.
Turns out the floor hits way harder than me, and no matter what I say to it it remains silent about it's secrets..

Latest Discussions