Elizabeth Smart Returned Safely

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With all the bad news around us, it's nice to know that there are still some happy endings to be had.

Cthulhu

J

jeffkyle

I saw something on that vaguely. Didn't they catch her at an intersection?

Q

Quick Sand

Yeah, I heard on the radio this morning. That really is great.

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They found her and her captors in Sandy, UT, about 15 miles away from her home. She doesn't appear to have been abused at all and is in good health and back with her family. Her abductors are being charged with aggravated kidnapping. Check out all the major news outlets (CNN, MSNBC, Fox News) or their Web sites for those who don't watch TV.

Cthulhu

J

Jill666

Yeah, what I heard was America's Most Wanted put the pic of her and pix of a supect up & a someone called in a tip-

Haven't actually read it for myself-

I have a friend who's cousin's picture has been posted in surrounding towns for years. She & so many others will never come home. :(

Nice to have a happy ending.

C

Cliarlaoch

I'm glad to hear that one case got solved... so many of them, though. But still, that's one fight that's been won. So many left to go.

What's the old line by Frost?

"I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep..."

"Was man, indeed, at once so powerful, so virtuous, and magnificent, yet so vicious and base?" (from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein)... sad to see how, despite all we've accomplished, we human beings are still so far from what we hope and wish we could be.

Sorry, I'm feeling a tad bit thoughtful tonight. Hope I don't depress anyone too much.

But at least we keep trying, and Smart's case is an example of how we can still find a few ways to bring some good to the world, despite of and in defiance of all the ill

One last quotation, and then I'll leave thee be, friends (I have my own promises to keep, and miles to go before I can sleep ... and I've posted plenty tonight as you can tell by looking at my profile! Muahahah, blue belt, here I come, hahaha!)--

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light." (Dylan Thomas)

I for one hope we keep on doing exactly that. G'night all.

G

GouRonin

Or does there seem to be more to this story and what went on? For some reason things just are not sitting right with me on this whole this. A hunch maybe...a feeling...

K

Kirk

I wouldn't say "happy ending" really. The kidnapper's adult
daughter has come forward to say that she was molested by
him, until she finally ran away. If this girl has been molested, she
has a long, long recovery ahead of her.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to agree to some extent with GouRonin and Kirk, but even still--this is an amazing story. Her parents must be overfilled with joy, despite the long road ahead.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by arnisador
I have to agree to some extent with GouRonin and Kirk, but even still--this is an amazing story. Her parents must be overfilled with joy, despite the long road ahead.

No argument there!

G

GouRonin

Anytime anyone does stuff like this to kids they deserve a beating.

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hurm, today the papers are talking about brainwashing and those involved with the case are not answering questions on any abuse.

Still. At least she's home.

Cthulhu

C

Cliarlaoch

Originally posted by Seig
Gou, I agree with you on both counts. What really bugs me is that she was missing 9 months. I think there is definately more to the story.

Yeah, I get that feeling too... that and the fact that they found her in broad daylight on the street...

It's a bit odd, for me. Oh well, we'll see how things turn out in time, I guess.

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
There is definantly more to this. I personally think that she ran away or was at least 'in' on the whole thing. When the 'kidnapping' first happened the police said that her screen was cut from the inside. About two months after her 'abduction' she was at a party with her 'captors' doing drugs and in disguise. Brainwashed? That's crap! By the way I once worked with the original suspect that died of a brain anuerism while in custody. He was just one of the local Magna scum. (Like me I guess) I also saw the kidnapper seveal times downtown. He used to wear a long robe and stand on a street corner with his hand out and palm up looking up with what I would describe as a psuedo ' holy mistical' look on his face. I stopped in front of him once and held my hand the same way and looked up for a second then said to him ' Naa, don't think so' (cappin on him as if he thought it was starting to rain) They are treating this little ***** like a hero here, but I think she's just a spoiled brat. I could be wrong, been wrong before.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by GaryM
There is definantly more to this. I personally think that she ran away or was at least 'in' on the whole thing. When the 'kidnapping' first happened the police said that her screen was cut from the inside. About two months after her 'abduction' she was at a party with her 'captors' doing drugs and in disguise. Brainwashed? That's crap! By the way I once worked with the original suspect that died of a brain anuerism while in custody. He was just one of the local Magna scum. (Like me I guess) I also saw the kidnapper seveal times downtown. He used to wear a long robe and stand on a street corner with his hand out and palm up looking up with what I would describe as a psuedo ' holy mistical' look on his face. I stopped in front of him once and held my hand the same way and looked up for a second then said to him ' Naa, don't think so' (cappin on him as if he thought it was starting to rain) They are treating this little ***** like a hero here, but I think she's just a spoiled brat. I could be wrong, been wrong before.

Remember, Patty Hurst was kidnapped, and soon thereafter was
packing a machine gun with her captors, in broad daylight.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Im not saying she was not brain washed in some way at some time in all of this but I agree something is not right in all of it.
Lets hope that as time goes on we will here more details. Seems as if she could have gotten help a few times at least if she had wanted to. A simple scream or running like hell when in the presence of strangers would have brought attention to her and maybe the police.
She was after all a young teen not a 4,7, or 10 year old. AT her age some of this may have been a big adventure maybe NOT. I do't know and dont what to judge without more facts. I don't think we have been told all the of it yet. Lets not judge anyone at this time.
Do I like what may have been hapening NO o I know what happened NO
Lets just hope she didn't leave home on her own for reasons we don't know either.