Elbow question (Medical)

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
About 5 or so months ago, I was sparring a 6th degree BB from another system.. and blocked his kick with my elbow.. (I do wear elbow pads). Since then the outside top bones have been become more prominent.. and the pain is a burning pain that will be constant when I use my arm, from trying to take a cap off a bottle, to lifting something from a table.. the pain is also sporadic just out of the blue.. and my arm has weakened significantly.. I find when doing Tecs.. it burns.. so I've been attempting to do things with my left hand.. now guess what.. My left elbow is killing me.. arghhh.. from my research it sounds like I've damaged the tendons.. and have been using a brace..doing the RICE thing.. but I am going Crazy~! I've also been working the rubber band strengthening exercises with it.. but when it starts cooking from the inside out with pain.. that's hard to do..
I've dealt with broken bones healing on their own.. Gee who hasn't eh :) But this is something I'm really getting PO'd about.. it just doesn't get any better~!
Anyone else have such a thing?

Tess

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
get some xrays to verify nothings busted.
If something is, say a chiped bone, you can do serious damage to the joint.

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xrays.. Doctors.. egad.. that's $$... No insurance Bob.. :(
last time I went to the Docs for my leg.. it was a $8000 bill~!! Xrays, IV antibiotics (outpatient) for a kick in the leg that turned into cellulitis overnight..
Sucks it does~!!

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
KenpoTess said:
last time I went to the Docs for my leg.. it was a $8000 bill~!! Xrays, IV antibiotics (outpatient) for a kick in the leg that turned into cellulitis overnight..
Sucks it does~!!

That sounds like you definitely went to the wrong place for medical care that time.

No doctor's going to be able to give you a proper diagnosis for this without taking some x-rays. But you probably know that.

M

moving target

Well tendons take a long time to heal. I had a sprain playing soccer that took well over 3 months to get to the point where I could walk without an ancle brace, its fine now but it's a slow process (it was luck that I injured myself in one of the last games of the season so I had some time to let it heal). You very well may have to give it a rest for a few months.

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yeah sure sounds like it eh Zepp.. a Local ER... and 5 days of outpatient IV Antibiotic therapy.. nearly blew my mind when we got the bill~!!

I've had so many surgeries etc. and when I had a car accident and had my sciatic nerve nicked during surgery.. ended up with footdrop.. docs are not on my happy wanna go see list..
If it's Tendonitis .. which I'm pretty sure it is.. just a bad case since it's not getting better but worse *course I use the arm constantly*... I know what they will do for it.. same thing I am doing..
I'm just venting cuz I'm sick of it hurting..
----------------------------------------------------------------

Don.. Thanks ~!! :D
----------------------------------------------------------------

MovingTarget.. oh I hear ya.. Glad your ankle is better.. I had 3 broken fingers which I let heal by themselves.. took a year before I could make a fist again..*Grumbles.. I'm a stubborn thing at times :)

Tess

W

warrior.mama

I came across an article recently on elbow injuries. I was doing research for a paper I was writing on Massage as a tool for martial artists. Here's the link: http://ejmas.com/pt/ptart_dolan_0303.htm. (I think you'll have to copy and paste this address in) The article is called "Iai Elbow" and talks about elbow injuries for martial artists.

I know you're not big on doctor visits, but a martial artist I know and another physically active person I know both had good results recently by going to a sports medicine physician rather than their general physician.

From a massage viewpoint, massage can be very helpful. Also using RICE like you are doing. If you are past the acute state of injury, you can also try alternating hot and cold packs (3 minutes cold, 1 minute hot x 3 times, ending with a cold pack). Massage and alternation cold/hot packs can help speed healing.

Check out the article. Speedy healing!

warrior.mama

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tess, I know where you're coming from. I've had my right elbow hyper-extended by an overzealous arm bar before. I messed up my left wrist back in september on a front wrist throw (same overzealous classmate) and even now it is still very tender and had to have a neoprene brace until just a week or two ago. Time, RICE, tiger balm and just not getting the elbow too worked up will help the best I think. Lots of luck.

T

TonyM.

Tess, I had a similar problem and this worked AMAZINGLY well for me. Buy two homeopatic remedies from the health food store, Arnica Montana and Ruta Grava. Get the 30x tablet dosage. The dose will be four tablets, four times a day. Dissolve them under your tongue for quick absorbtion.
Day one take four doses of Arnica Montana, 15 minutes apart.
Day two take four doses of Ruta, 15 minutes apart.
Day three take four doses of Ruta, an hour apart.
Day four through eleven, Take four doses of Ruta, four hours apart.
For this to be effective you will have to disscontinue any other meds during the cycle. Don't disable or overuse the limb. Treat it normally being mindfull not to overextend. This worked when nothing else seemed to.
Tony

S

ShaolinWolf

Well, I know alot of you might say NO!, but I think Chiropractors are the best bone doctors. My Chiropractor does x-rays and such, of course and well, they are great bone doctors. (well, it's a family that owns the business, so the father and son both do it. It also happens that the son(in his 30s) does TKD with me and referred me into ATA TKD. His wife, and his other brothers(17 and 14) and sister(12) do it too.) Chiropractors are not just back people, they do things from acupuncture to bone setting. They fix sinus problems and such. And alot of the time, they can be cheaper than the doctors your talking about. We're on a payment plan too for my family. So, it's like 12 dollars minimum a visit for just adjustments. And most X-rays are around 100-200 dollars along with the adjustments, therapy, and

I know you don't like doctors, but Chiropractors are alot better than people think. I know plenty of people who say stuff about Chiropractors being nuts and alot of people are afraid of them, but though some adjustments may hurt, it's just the fact that your body isn't used to it.

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
oops.. I need to come into this forum more *G* Thanks for all the replies and suggestions all~!!

Zepp.. it's still miserable.. burning and pretty useless.. I overworked it last weekend.. had to do some drywall work and painting.. I'm really paying for it this week.. and being it's my dominant arm.. well you know how that goes when it comes to babying it.. not gonna happen.. And doing my tecs.. ack.. No Fun~! Methinks I'm my own worst enemy eh:(

Thanks for asking :D

Tess

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
Sucks it does~!!
You help run a karate school and you don't have insurance? Yegods!
Sean

S

ShaolinWolf

Well, let's hope it's just a bone bruise and not a fracture...err, well bone bruises can last a while, maybe it's just a hairline fracture at just the right angle to zap you energy and cause the sporadic pain.

Hope you feel better Tess...

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm hoping the same thing SW :) I think the nerves are damaged as the pain is a burning pain.. and those will take nothing but time to heal.

Thanks alot :D

Tess

Taimishu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi Tess
You could come to the UK for a holiday and use our hospitals, they dont cost, and I'm told airfares are cheap just now.
Take in some MA's while you are at it. :)

David

OP
KenpoTess

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds good David *G* Seig and I sure could use a vacation~!! I'm trying out the magnetized elbow brace today and Ibuprophen.. Was informed this morning that Mr. Conatser also suffered from exactly the same problem.. and it took 2 yrs to heal .. :( Problem is that since I am really babying the right arm.. my left elbow is becoming rapidly painful too.. *growls*

Tess