Edged Weapon Defence!

R

Reprobate

Originally posted by PAUL
For any who doubt what I am saying, I challange you or your instructor, whether local school owner or Grandmaster, to be able to disarm me WITHOUT getting cut.
You bring your knife - I'll bring my naginata.:D

S

shadowninjakat

Try wearing armor.
Seriously, you should use a weapon with a longer range so that you don't risk getting cut except by yourself. I suggest a bow or a spear.

S

shadowninjakat

The other night our instructor told us that we should hit them with a spinning or jumping spinning back kick the second we saw the weapon. You know, the whole your leg being longer than their arm thing. Though it probably wouldn't work if someone used a sword, etc.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by shadowninjakat
The other night our instructor told us that we should hit them with a spinning or jumping spinning back kick the second we saw the weapon. You know, the whole your leg being longer than their arm thing. Though it probably wouldn't work if someone used a sword, etc.

I hope you were kidding. Anyone with a lick of common sense could simply back up and cut your Achille's tendon, or zone off and cut your hamstring. Sounds like a good way to get crippled to me.

Cthulhu

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score

should only kick low. If you kick high and they cut your thigh artery. it's over

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Whaaa..........!!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl:

R

Reprobate

Originally posted by PAUL
LOL...I ment empty hand vs. knife disarm! :p
Well, I challenge anyone to disarm me as I wield my naginata...

K

Karazenpo

I'm a police officer (since 1977) and a police defensive tactics instructor. The Calibre Press (Charles Remsberg & Dennis Anderson) started hosting Police Survival Seminars for law enforcement personal in the 80's. They have also published several books. They had a extremely professional staff and researched edged weapons thoroughly. Their expert consultant & adviser was Dan Inosanto. Five years of research went into those, both police and civillian, who survived edged weapon attacks (some were trained, some weren't). Their conclusion was 'undisputed' that those who survived had control of the knife weilding arm or hand. They put this concept together with an acronym-G.U.N., meaning Grab-Undo-Neutralize. I will have to go along with this because in police survival training everything is researched for total realism and practicality because the people you are training will most likely face these situations at some time in their carreers. They can't afford to go by theory. They go by 'real world' experiences. If, as an instructor, you teach them something that has no merit, you could be very well sending them to their deaths. Law enforcement personnel are only taught to go empty hand against an edged weapon if the handgun was not accessable at the time. We train officers to expect to see their own blood. There is a 90 percent chance or better that you will be cut so this is the mindset we give them. I teach my kempo students the same way. Now, nothing is 100 per cent, so it is possible on a bare arm or wrist where someone is bleeding or very sweaty one could lose their grip on the knife hand.
Some others may come back at me and say, 'well I used this or that and it worked'. My answer to that is 'anything can work' but would it be classified as a legitimate knife technique? I know of a police officer who was a golden gloves boxer who threw a right hook at a guy who held a gun on him (he was interviewed by Remsberg & Anderson), the dude was knocked out before he hit the ground! It worked but it wouldn't be taught as a gun technique. Respectfully Shihan Joe Shuras

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We learn one knife technique only. I tried to write it out and failed miserably. Basically we're assuming a thrusting attack, either upward, straght in, or downward. By executing the same series of movements (V block and grab, kick low, circle the block and pivot the body to lock or takedown, disarm, finish) in the same direction regardless of the type of attack the motion becomes automatic, without trying to draw on a catalog of techniques. I always kick with my right, circle the block clockwise, step back with my right to face 3:00. Of course the direction of the block alters with the direction of the attack, but not with the hand that attacks. The obviuos question is what if it isn't one of those three types of attacks? Then we adopt a more 'typical' defensive posture, protect the head and neck, if necessary taking slashes on the outside of the forearms, maintain separation, etc. until the thrust occurs. Reading this I'd expect a bit of skepticism, but it seems to work in the (benign) dojo environment.

Incidently, my instructor has been in only one encounter with a knife. He instinctively punched the the guy in the face as soon as the weapon came out and knocked him out, he doesn't recommend this approach to us.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Great post!

I have been privy to the research done by calibre press, and I study arts closely related to Dan Inosanto's. I will say that the GUN principle is a good one, and exists in every knife-art that works in reality.

I think the video, although old, titled "Surviving Edged weapons" (if I am correct on the title) is a great one to watch for overall awareness as well.

J

jkdwarrior2

In my training, and hopefully in a real situation, when confronted with a life threatening situation, empty hand or otherwise, my goal is only unconditional survival. This frees you to do whatever it takes to see another day.

This way, whether I get cut or not, I win just by not dying. Also remember, it is possible to win the fight but lose the war by perishing afterwards.

Possessing the will to survive regardless of circumstances is critical.

Having irrational and/or unrealistic expectations, based on whatever skills or experience you may have, can also lead to severe post-traumatic syndrome even though you survive. The result of these unrealistic ideas, can allow denial, uncertainty, paranoia, and/or fear to traumatize/control you for the rest of your life.

While perusing these types of forums, I have encountered many responses to these types of things to be of the nature that the attacked individual was permanently scarred emotionally and physically, when confronted by violence, because they felt like they should have been some kind of superhero and it did not work out the way that they would have hoped. Stop fantasizing and realize that you will get hurt, things will not go as planned, and it will affect you afterwards.

When forced into a dangerous situation, try to breathe, keep moving, use awareness, good judgment, your warrior spirit, but above all: SURVIVE and go from there.

Just my opinion. Tim

Latest Discussions