Dynamic Chi Sau

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is from a Jow Ga perspective so I'm not sure if it would apply here. If the student sinks his horse stance then he will have a better root. Being lower from a better stance would shorten his sifu's reach.

I agree. He was standing very tall and upright. His legs appeared to be standing straight and he often extended his body upward to reach over the taller partner. I agree he would do better to sink his stance and improve his mobility and angling especially.

Agreed. Both the student and teacher had rooting/stance issues in a lot of instances. I do give credit to 'Fut' for being humble enough to admit to this as well for his part earlier in the thread.

IMO, it appears that bad habits could be being passed along and and the basics may be going overlooked once they get to the 'fun stuff' and start filming? I guess all risk getting 'comfortable' or 'lax' if we are not going thru peer pressure testing on at least a semi-regular basis. It might be a good time for both to go back and revisit basic footwork and stances. As soon as we get comfortable, that's when things start to slip. Even after 12+ years in the system, I still work the basics with my students as warms ups almost every class!
It's a simple fix really, but a bit concerning to see from someone who is also often quick to tote 30+ years experience.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
My arm is longer then his so he could not reach me . if he tried to step in my arm would prevent him from doing so otherwise he would have done it but he knew it would not work.
With proper angling it wouldn't matter if your arm is longer. How do I know this? Cause I'm rad!:dead:
Besides that, in the system I train in DTE. We focus a lot on angling. With proper angling he can make up the difference and then some.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
In my style of kung fu (not Wing Chun) if your student had lowered his stance then your reach would have been shorten. The proof of this is to stand facing a wall and extend your arm straight to wall until your fist touches it. Your arm should be making a 90 degree angle with the wall. Now lower your arm and take note of the angle where your fist doesn't reach the wall.

When I fight people with longer reaches, I'll lower my stance to help reduce their reach.
yes I know about this but I also can lower my stance at the same time.

Latest Discussions