Don't understand

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey, martial artist have to feed their families, too.

To me, the most telling question is this: What are the dojo owner and the instructors doing? If they are training hard, keeping up their own skills, and learning new skills, then I'm willing to bet that they're reasonably sincere.

If the owner is obese, and the instructors lean against the wall, arms crossed while counting out the techniques for the sweating students, then I'm outta there.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
Hey, martial artist have to feed their families, too.

To me, the most telling question is this: What are the dojo owner and the instructors doing? If they are training hard, keeping up their own skills, and learning new skills, then I'm willing to bet that they're reasonably sincere.

If the owner is obese, and the instructors lean against the wall, arms crossed while counting out the techniques for the sweating students, then I'm outta there.
Well I'm a 3rd Dan and overwieght by 37 lbs. Had a heart attack two years ago and stopped working out for a year lost 28 lbs. this past year and I believe my skills are up there with anybody my age and then some.... there are alot of overwieght people out there that can compete at a high level... God Bless America

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Well I'm a 3rd Dan and overwieght by 37 lbs. Had a heart attack two years ago and stopped working out for a year
That's not the same as the 35 year old "martial artist" who is just too lazy to train, smokes, doesn't respect his or her body, but thinks it's OK to charge money to "teach."

Do you have a personal martial arts library so you can read about the arts? Or videos? Have you considered a martial art, like tai chi, which may not be as physically taxing? Do you meditate? Do you think about the mechanics or principles behind the techniques? Do you try to keep fit to the best of your capabilities, in consideration of your limitations?

My guess is your answer to some or all of these is "Yes." Because you said yourself, your skills are still up there. That means a lot to me when I consider my instructors and my fellow martial artists.

I'm not a youngster either, but I hope to keep "training" on some level for the long run.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
That's not the same as the 35 year old "martial artist" who is just too lazy to train, smokes, doesn't respect his or her body, but thinks it's OK to charge money to "teach."

Do you have a personal martial arts library so you can read about the arts? Or videos? Have you considered a martial art, like tai chi, which may not be as physically taxing? Do you meditate? Do you think about the mechanics or principles behind the techniques? Do you try to keep fit to the best of your capabilities, in consideration of your limitations?

My guess is your answer to some or all of these is "Yes." Because you said yourself, your skills are still up there. That means a lot to me when I consider my instructors and my fellow martial artists.

I'm not a youngster either, but I hope to keep "training" on some level for the long run.
Thank you and yes you are right I train everyday to the best of my ability that day no-matter what..... God Bless America

S

Shinzu

the quality of your training will show whether you are a tad overweight or not. instructors and schools that are true to themselves and their art will not need to promote themselves with gimicks and games. the students will come and the arts will become better because of it.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Well I'm a 3rd Dan and overwieght by 37 lbs. Had a heart attack two years ago and stopped working out for a year lost 28 lbs. this past year and I believe my skills are up there with anybody my age and then some.... there are alot of overwieght people out there that can compete at a high level... God Bless America

I'm glad you got your "life" on track and lost those pounds. I did the same thing last year with the South Beach diet-30 lbs. health reason too. One day at a time, just like AA (I don't drink). Not carrying around extra weight can add years on your life, can improve the quality of it, for you and your children. My daughter said, "Mom, your're running up and down those stairs now". And it makes it easier to train in taekwondo. But I don't think I will ever be able to do the breaks for a 3rd Dan. Very difficult, so I admire anybody you can. You have alot going for you in other areas too--your family, money is not the principle cause of teaching, keeping up your skills, wanting to give quality instruction. Count your blessings. :asian:

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks TigerWoman I appreciate the confidence, Way to go on your on behalf, and the breaks will come they always do.. Keep up the good work... God Bless You and Yours and America