Don't tell them you know martial arts

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on what you do with your hands. If a guy walks up slaps you and walks away you cant do anything other then report it and file charges

Luckily in this instance I am a vile thug of a man. Who might even give him a slap back.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It gets done from a sideways sidle. You teach ground stomps you then stress that a street fight is super serious life or death. You create a non sport,rules,ref,mentality.

Suggesting that you are not setting up over reactions is dishonest

Yes we do,

But we also have all said in this thread and teach to walk away the second they can once their incapacitated, dont stay and pound on them when theyre down.

BJJ SD instructors stress the same thing, but they dont tell their guys to keep choking once hes out do they?

No,

Its 2 sides of the exact same teaching, nobodys being dishonest in any sense here

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. So then we are back to the validity of unarmed techniques and can move away from the gun ego stroking?
LOL a taser is far more effective then any unarmed techniques. Most of the time all I need to do is take it out and the person gives up. THey want no part of taking the ride

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL a taser is far more effective then any unarmed techniques. Most of the time all I need to do is take it out and the person gives up. THey want no part of taking the ride

Yeah I saw it being effective in that video. And the results of complacency in its use.

It is better to have one and not need it than need it and not have one.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah I saw it being effective in that video. And the results of complacency in its use.

It is better to have one and not need it than need it and not have one.
We can play the Youtube game all day for every clip of it not working Ill post 2 showing it does. However since I actually have one and use one Im speaking from real life experience not your fantasy land youtube evidence

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes we do,

But we also have all said in this thread and teach to walk away the second they can once their incapacitated, dont stay and pound on them when theyre down.

BJJ SD instructors stress the same thing, but they dont tell their guys to keep choking once hes out do they?

No,

Its 2 sides of the exact same teaching, nobodys being dishonest in any sense here

The ground is not incapacitated. A head stomp is less able to be controlled than a choke. I can hold a guy in a choke without applying pressure. Say if they are on the ground but not incapacitated.

I cannot hold a guy in a head stomp.

But of course super serious street fight you cant hold a guy because flying monkeys apear and start kicking you in the head.

As I said it is the technique combined with the methodology.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We can play the Youtube game all day for every clip of it not working Ill post 2 showing it does. However since I actually have one and use one Im speaking from real life experience not your fantasy land youtube evidence

No I have a post from someone who says that it is not 100% effective.

Ballen I think his name was.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No I have a post from someone who says that it is not 100% effective.

Ballen I think his name was.
correct nor are chokes, arm bars, punches, kicks, guns, knives, OCspray.........So again your point?

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The ground is not incapacitated. A head stomp is less able to be controlled than a choke. I can hold a guy in a choke without applying pressure. Say if they are on the ground but not incapacitated.

I cannot hold a guy in a head stomp.

But of course super serious street fight you cant hold a guy because flying monkeys apear and start kicking you in the head.

As I said it is the technique combined with the methodology.

No the ground is not.

But if If knocked, kick, punched, elbowed, thrown, etc. THe guy to the point that he is down, he is most likely incapacitated.

As for your monkey point, I never said you couldnt hold a guy but whatever

Yes it is tech combined with methodology.

But if you think any styles (other than combat krav) methodology is to sit and pound a guy whos already not a real threat, you havent been paying attention

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
correct nor are chokes, arm bars, punches, kicks, guns, knives, OCspray.........So again your point?

That unarmed defence still has relevance. And your tazer comment is nice but not a solve all.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But why? The counter was done in self defense. He took the first punch, or in this case slap.
because it would still be an assault. In this state your 1st duty is to leave not defend yourself. Every state is different this one both of you could be charged

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
because it would still be an assault. In this state your 1st duty is to leave not defend yourself. Every state is different this one both of you could be charged
You must be in a very liberal state. Anyway, things need to change in regard to that, wherever you're at.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No the ground is not.

But if If knocked, kick, punched, elbowed, thrown, etc. THe guy to the point that he is down, he is most likely incapacitated.

As for your monkey point, I never said you couldnt hold a guy but whatever

Yes it is tech combined with methodology.

But if you think any styles (other than combat krav) methodology is to sit and pound a guy whos already not a real threat, you havent been paying attention

The never go to ground is a classical street sport distinction.

The solution seems to be head stomping to a fairly major extent.

For something that is never used it sure gets demonstrated a lot.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That unarmed defence still has relevance. And your tazer comment is nice but not a solve all.
The question was asked as a Law Enforcement officer how would you subdue a combative suspect the potions were choke or strikes. The answer is neither as a Law Enforcement officer Id use a taser.

2ndly the taser is just as relevant as unarmed defense if not more relevant since used properly can be a great equalizer.

Latest Discussions