Don't forget to remove your boresighter...

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thankfully no one got hurt but the pictures are just unbelievable. Looks like something out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Attachments

• $image004.jpg
    $image004.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 148
  • $image003.jpg
    $image003.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 146
  • $image002.jpg
    $image002.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 147
  • $image001.jpg
    $image001.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 164

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow!

The Myth Busters tried to do that on purpose with a shotgun and they could not get it to do so. I think someone could send them the pictures so they could go back and try a new episode.

I am glad no one was hurt.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
What a waste of a Savage 110G. Sometimes you just have to shake your head at what people do. Glad nobody got hurt, and I'll bet that rang their bell.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shotguns operate at a significantly lower pressure, rarely getting above 11000 psi.

Just as an example, here's what kind of pressures you can expect from a light 12 gauge load:

http://alliantpowder.com/reloaders/...=1&weightdis=1&shellid=351&gtypeid=3&gauge=12

Here's what you can expect from a heavy 12 gauge load:

http://alliantpowder.com/reloaders/...eightdis=2 1/4&shellid=348&gtypeid=3&gauge=12

Now, compare this to a rifle's chamber, which generates 5X the pressure:

http://alliantpowder.com/reloaders/...typeid=2&weight=168&shellid=1079&bulletid=294

Much more potential danger here, compared to a shotgun.

This isn't to discourage people from reloading. In fact, I strongly encourage many shooters to learn reloading; it's just that one needs to be even more careful when loading higher pressure cartridges.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow!

The Myth Busters tried to do that on purpose with a shotgun and they could not get it to do so. I think someone could send them the pictures so they could go back and try a new episode.

I am glad no one was hurt.
what exactly were they trying to replicate? the effects of a "squib-load" or something else?

here's a couple pictures of my dad's 12-gauge after a squib. Basically, the wad got caught by the choke. This happened just a couple of months ago (opening week of dove season)

Attachments

• $100_1543.jpg
    $100_1543.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 138
  • $100_1545.jpg
    $100_1545.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 136

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thankfully no one got hurt but the pictures are just unbelievable. Looks like something out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Oh my gosh! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Where are those pix from, Lisa?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa, now you'll remember to take the bore-sighter out!

Seriously though, I saw this happen with a Ma Deuce once. They were practicing for a live fire exercise with blanks and then switched to live ammo. The hum-vee drove up to where it was supposed to start laying down fire, and about 10 people ran up to get the gunner not to fire cause they all saw he still had the blank adapter on. The gunner was lucky in that his injuries weren't too bad.

Jeff

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa, now you'll remember to take the bore-sighter out!

Seriously though, I saw this happen with a Ma Deuce once. They were practicing for a live fire exercise with blanks and then switched to live ammo. The hum-vee drove up to where it was supposed to start laying down fire, and about 10 people ran up to get the gunner not to fire cause they all saw he still had the blank adapter on. The gunner was lucky in that his injuries weren't too bad.

Jeff

YIKES! that must have been quite a boom... lucky he wasn't killed.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow. Glad no one got hurt. That would make an interesting conversation piece...maybe make a lamp or flower holder out of it?

Latest Discussions