Don't Forget about Black Sash

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by The Opal Dragon
I watched it and thought it was interesting. I hope they continue to focus on the teacher's character and not the kids.

Robyn
....................................................................................

I liked it.. Like everyone says. Cute kids with problems.. But,,,aren't we all?

I loved that martial art.. Hollywood-fu .
BUT
. The center ring and the door sign were kind of Pa-Qua,Bag Wa, or Hsing-I if anyone is familiar with that style chime in.
I have seen a demo in the past where the movements were associated with the I-Ching.

Any thoughts?

Gene Gabel:asian:

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The martial arts were called "Way of 8 Harmonies" or something like that in the show. I was very much Pa-Kua (Bagua). At one point Wong even said that
"OK class, first palm change".

Thanks
Jeremy Bays

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by cali_tkdbruin
OKay, so what are the thoughts and critiques about last night's B-Sash episode? Good, bad, or IYO what?

:asian:

Still not very good. It's turning out to be dawson's creek with some martial arts here and there. Too much focus on the students and not enough with the teacher.

OP
B

brianhunter

I didnt mind it so much, My wife was cursing the judge out over the judges decision on his daughter, For awhile it will probably have to revolve or rotate through characters untill they are all established. I did like the fight scenes and "eye candy" is not always a bad thing. I definately will keep watching and taping I think it will get even better once they have all the characters established and the group dynamic is set up.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The quality of the production is good. One of the 1st modern shows that focuses on Martial Arts. Maybe we need, well not Dawson's Creek, but some modern show that portrays the Arts and can appeal to a larger student base. Of course I am saying this as a school owner, and someone who enjoyed the show. I am hoping the Martial part of it continues to develop ... but I do not think it will stay on the air without "hooking" some type of audience larger than Martial Artists.

Those who were alive and practicing when the first KARATE KID came out, remember the HUGE boost to the Arts. Not that I liked the movie, but it filled schools like nothing before. I limit my enrollment, so it would not affect me, however, it is always good for all the Arts when the public identifies with Martial Arts in a good way.

By the way, did I say I liked the show? I did and I do.

-Michael

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
AAAHH!!! I totally forgot to watch it last night! Rats, it's only the second episode and it sounds like some people liked it. I'll have to try to remember to catch it next week.

Robyn :asian:

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

The Second episode was good. I enjoyed watching it.
Plus, I have always enjoyed watching Maco in different roles.

Chicago Green
Dragon :asian:

OP
C

Chicago Green Dragon

I didnt like how the judge voted either. But, it was nice to see his students come together after in the end and take him out to eat. You can totally see that the mom and he new bow are only out for their own good in this series and not for his daughter.
They keep refering back to his conviction in hong kong where he was framed. I guess they never make any mistakes or anything like that. I feel for the guy trying to be a part of his daughters life. Since, the judge left it in her hands to wait for now.
Hopefully, she will spend more time with him in the future.

I am glad to see the kid (who father is in jail for beating him) finally break away from his violent white trash father. I got a bit worried he was going to go down that same path with his father controling the strings a bit. It was nice to see his buddy intervene when he was going to walk out with the gun to see hector the slime ball. Its good to see friends be there for you when you need them.

:soapbox:

Chicago Green
Dragon :asian:

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
OKay, so what are the thoughts and critiques about last night's B-Sash episode? Good, bad, or IYO what?

man...that second episode was bad with a capital suck.

even the one short, little fight scene was garbage with all the slow motion crap they did during it. i think i've got the jist of the show here now. russell wong cries about his daughter for about half the show...the pretty boys and girls cry about their problems for the other half until russell wong finally goes and kicks whoever's butt that's giving them the problem, providing us with one measley little 2-3 minute fight scene at the end of the show.

time for a re-write. and also time to get a real action director on board.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unlikely to make it in today's genre of shows if they do pure action. And yes, I would like it if they did. I loved the fight scene in Romeo must die. But it ain't gonna happen on the WB.

-Michael

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
But it ain't gonna happen on the WB.

it could...:D

depends on what you want to focus on in your show. you can still have a good storyline with good action.

i won't totally judge a show on the first couple episodes...usually the first season. so i'll give the show a few more chances because i think it has potential that needs to be tapped. some of my favorites on tv were pretty stinky the first few episodes...retooling is key.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... after all, I liked Babylon 5 ... til the bitter end. I hope it does get more "Martial", let's see, would the same amount of violence seen on Buffy be enough? Bloodless though it is, it has a high VQ (violence quotent.)

-Michael

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yawn .... .

To think, I missed Law & Order for this ...

And what the hell is the dance routine doing in the show? Must be that 'synergy' crap that has allows a handful of media companies to control the universe.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
... after all, I liked Babylon 5 ... til the bitter end. I hope it does get more "Martial", let's see, would the same amount of violence seen on Buffy be enough? Bloodless though it is, it has a high VQ (violence quotent.)

-Michael

the "buffy point" you made is one that hits home where this show is concerned. buffy (and even Angel...one of my favorites shows of all time) has tons of martial arts action, weapons and open handed...it's all good. this is all done with actors that are really not martial artists at all in their own right, that require the use of stunt doubles.

then here we have russel wong...an accomplished movie martial artist with great talent...whos talents are being underused at this point. either have a really good plot with fair martial arts, or have reallly good martial arts action or at least a focus on martial arts and different types of it with a so-so storyline.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... and hopefully it will get better. But the lack of response on this thread pretty much indicates what most people thought of it.

Too Bad,
-Michael

OP
K

Kirk

I missed the 2nd episode, but liked the first. But for improvement,
my vote would be to keep the stories, but more fighting .. be it
in his kwoon, or elsewhere. I was a big fan of Walker, Texas
Ranger (I know many here weren't, probaby cause of the heavy
TKD influence) .. it had a story, and it had fighting ... it rarely was
without both. The only problem I had with it (actually it was the
wife, she has to keep pointing it out) is that Walker's woman kept
being victimized. As my wife keeps saying, "she needs to just
dump him, he's getting into too much trouble".

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

I liked this episode but not as much as the one which was on last week. His students should have went into the court room to offer him support rather then wait for him outside

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
I missed the 2nd episode, but liked the first. But for improvement,
my vote would be to keep the stories, but more fighting .. be it
in his kwoon, or elsewhere. I was a big fan of Walker, Texas
Ranger (I know many here weren't, probaby cause of the heavy
TKD influence) .. it had a story, and it had fighting ... it rarely was
without both. The only problem I had with it (actually it was the
wife, she has to keep pointing it out) is that Walker's woman kept
being victimized. As my wife keeps saying, "she needs to just
dump him, he's getting into too much trouble".

the thing that seemed to work about walker is that it was always just the same campy good vs. evil story in every episode...never anything that took itself too seriously. if you take your storyline seriously...you'll have to back it up with great twists and turns and good character development. walker had aimiable characters, and walker himself never got the beat down, he was always dishing them out with the spinning backfist and the spinning rear kick...always landed!

black sash relies on the kids a bit too much. and you can tell that they really didn't make much of an effort to cast any teens that could actually sell the stuff on screen, and they can't act of course...it's all about the looks.

look at power rangers when it came out, the kids were bad actors, fairly good looking, but one thing that set them apart is that just about all of them could move for the camera, the black sash kids can't.

Latest Discussions