Don't Forget about Black Sash

mtabone

Green Belt
Reaction score
I watched Black Sash tonight. I stayed home to watch it. I can't believe I watched it. There is so much more potential for that show then what is shown on that screen. It is interesting to me though, that the WB, believes, that Teen age puppy love will help out the demagraphics on this kinda of show. Anyone remember the old Kung Fu? While there where some touches on "Love" and "lovers" it was never a central theme. There is tons of stuff to create dramatic story lines from, not to mention more Martial Arts fighting, to take up the time. It just seemed very fomalized too.

So in the End, I am conflicted, because I like it, and hate it all at the same time. Russ Wong is a gifted martial artist, whos talent is not being shown. And the premise has much potential, I don't like the ideas in that writing room.

Is there a way to Email the "FROG" and tell them to save this potentialy great TV show????

OP
Q

Quick Sand

I've actually seen all 4 episodes of this show. I enjoy it. No, it's not the best show I've ever seen. I wish it would show more of the actual training they do, more fighting etc. . . But one point I'd like to make is that I don't think the show is made to be directed at real martial artists. I think it's geared to the average teen who knows little/nothing about martial arts but likes to see a bit of fighting, some teenage angst that they can relate to and some good looking people with a bit of a story line. I also think it's geared to a much younger audience then many of the people on this board. Just stuff to keep in mind.

My 2 cents.

:soapbox: Stepping down now.

OP
B

brianhunter

Well last night was probably my favorite episode yet, the characters have been established to an extent so the story didnt seem to drag as much.
The fight at the end of the show was enjoyable for me too! and "tradition sucks" cracked me up.
Ill keep tuning in I guess :asian:

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by brianhunter
Well last night was probably my favorite episode yet, the characters have been established to an extent so the story didnt seem to drag as much.
The fight at the end of the show was enjoyable for me too! and "tradition sucks" cracked me up.
Ill keep tuning in I guess :asian:

i liked that episode the best as well i think. i had a "karate kid" type feel to it...all cheesy and what not. battle for the school...lol...doesn't get any better than that. plus the guy they got to play the son did some great work.

i still don't understand why they do all the slow mo and the special camera effects when russel wong has a fight on the show...it's distracting.

i'd say it's getting better though.

OP
B

brianhunter

yeah master lees son fit the part pretty well......and I agree with wong fighting you really dont need all the jazz behind the cameras just let him do his things. I was on the wb website and one of the producers is responsible for the karate kid hahahaha.

I also noticed bau gua videos and the palm changes popping up on websites, at least its getting some martial arts on tv!

OP
C

Crazy Chihuahua

Did no one else find that they try to cram too many plotlines into a single episode?
From an analytical stanpoint based purely on dramatic value, not even considering that there could be way more fighting in the show, they don't develop the plots well enough, because there are too many to expand on in a single, one-hour show!
Maybe I'm way off base, but in my dramatic experience, the best plays can afford to have many subplots and interminglings, because they are longer than one hour minus commercial breaks. In an hour show, which ends up be like 40 minutes of story after you take out commercials and intro/credits, there just isn't time to run 3 or 4 plots in one show. I think they should stick to one or two well-developed plotlines per show, increase the volume of actual martial arts, this could include the sifu actually TEACHING the students, not just watching them do forms, and that would clean the show up enough to allow for a fairly long-running series, as some of the actors on that show do have a measure of talent that allows for believable performance and is enjoyable to watch.
Let me know if you agree or if I'm way off, here.

OP
F

fist of fury

I liked sunday's episode better than the pas ones although it still needs improvement. I agree with Crazy Chihuahua they are trying to force to many plot lines at once. And I wish they would drop the teenine soap opera angle now that everybody has "hooked up" maybe they will tone that crap down.

OP
M

MartialArtist

I caught all the episodes. Too much drama. If I wanted testosterone-drive soap opera, I could watch the WWF.

But I found that in almost every episode, there is one guy who symbolizes something. That new kid who studied hundreds of martial arts and had no good base in anything, taking every bit they can from every art possible... Then wanting to learn a specific style by hearing stories such as I wanna beat up multiple people at once. Tons of people came to mind. Then with that badass dude who beat up his students. Reminded me of my instructors. Only difference was, that they knew when the stop hitting, helped you up, brushed you off, and made you run. And they wouldn't kick you out for laughing or saying something, because they know that during sparring session, they'll take you down and will be laughing at you. The instructors never really "beat up" a student like that guy did, that guy did it out of smite.